garmin edge 'training partner'

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Just got a new shiny toy! :-)

Think when i read the blurb about this I expected the training partner to be a 'shadow' of a former ride but it seems like it will just cruise along at the same pace all the time?

Real cyclists are (obviously) slower uphill than downhill so would seem to make sense that it could use previous rides and pace the 'training partner' at the previous ride pace instead of going way in front on downhills and way behind on uphills? All the data is there anyways assuming you have ridden the same way previously?

Pah - a little disappointed with that really :(
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Which toy did you get?

If you are just riding along then training partner sits at a fixed pace. If you are following a course then I get the impression the training partner is your last best over that course.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iclestu
    Asprilla wrote:
    Which toy did you get?

If you are just riding along then training partner sits at a fixed pace. If you are following a course then I get the impression the training partner is your last best over that course.

It is?!

Then i am a happy chappie. (and thats the second rant in one day that has been ill founded!)

I got a Garmin Edge 800

• asprilla
    iclestu wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Which toy did you get?

It is?!

Then i am a happy chappie. (and thats the second rant in one day that has been ill founded!)

I got a Garmin Edge 800

I think so, but it's only my second day using mine.. Certainly felt like it this morning and when it was displaying the Virtual Partner page I don't remember seeing any option to change it's speed.

From this review:

"Also using the virtual partner, which enables you to track your progress against either a set speed or a prior circuit of the same route, your current relative time and distance appear in green if you’re ahead and red if you’re behind, which is a nice touch"
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - I've never switched it on (too dangerous! :wink: ) but my understanding is that it will effectively "shadow" a ride you've already done.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    I wonder if you have to keep the activities on the device or if it retains your fastest track over that route even after you have removed it?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you cant set the speed for the partner, on, bikeroutetoaster I think, you can set an av speed for the partner - thing that annoys me is that she cheats - if you go off course- she stays on it - if you stop at lights she carries on - i say she because if that was a bloke at least he'd have the decency to give you a decent race. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    With the 800 Training Partner on a normal ride, you set the average speed you want to ride at and off you go. When riding the display will show the two riders and time and distance difference below. The display goes from black to red or red to black when you're ahead.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • iclestu
    redvee wrote:
    With the 800 Training Partner on a normal ride, you set the average speed you want to ride at and off you go. When riding the display will show the two riders and time and distance difference below. The display goes from black to red or red to black when you're ahead.
    yeah, thats what i thought.

Its the training partner's speed when you are on a course ridden before that we are wondering about. Does it still behave as above or does it provide a 'shadow' of a former ride (tracking your prev speed at each point rather than a simple average)?

• If you have a course saved in the edge 800 you can alter the pace of the virtual partner but overall it will move at a constant speed based on you fastest time over that course. you can also set the 800 to autopause at junctions/ traffic lights etc so your times are more consistent. Can be quite deadly at times when you are trying to beat your best time but some days are better than others and it does try and make you push that little bit harder.
  • asprilla
    OK, I asked the question on the Garmin Forums and the response is that if you create a course from a previous activity then the VP uses the actual speeds in the original activity. It is not an average but is your true variable speed.

It will only change if you recreate the course from a new activity and does not automatically update as you get quicker.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Asprilla wrote:
    OK, I asked the question on the Garmin Forums and the response is that if you create a course from a previous activity then the VP uses the actual speeds in the original activity. It is not an average but is your true variable speed.

It will only change if you recreate the course from a new activity and does not automatically update as you get quicker.
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 405 and use the virtual partner quite a lot. As above you simply create a course from a previous ride and then 'do course'. The virtual partner will then go at the exact pace as you did over that course speeding up and slowing down as you did. The virtual partner screen shows how far ahead or behind you are in time and distance. With the 405 you have to use the training centre software to convert a ride to a course but the 800 will do it on the device (I'm fairly sure of that).
    Its a brilliant feature for continually knackering yourself.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Asprilla wrote:

This is how I've always used mine. I have all my regular time trial courses saved on it so when I do another event on one of these courses I use the virtual partner so race against myself against my previous fastest time on that course, it's great motivation to see that you're up or down on your PB for that course
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The two riders do get ahead or fall behind the other depending on where they are in relation to the other.

2948q.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • iclestu
    ok having created a course from yesterdays ride in...

And having shot past my 'training partner' today when i caught a green that was red yesterday...

I confirm beyond any doubt that it speeds up and slows down according to your actual speed when recording the course :-)

knocked three mins off yesterdays (already pretty fast (for me!))* run this morn. Rumours of a 'wind assist' are rife though!

*nested brackets should absolutely be allowed in the english language!

• do you know how to create a course for a climb which was part of a longer ride? I want to create a course which has the same pace as my pb (not an average pace) to use with the virtual partner.

If I create a course from the ride then edit the start/end for the climb section I lose the actual pace/timing data, unless im doing something wrong...
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    How are you editing it and what are you saving it as ? - tcx, gpx ?
  • Well had it 2 days so still trying to work out whats best...

Have just tried direct within garmin connect so far. Bikeroutetoaster looks good for creating routes but i don't think handles the timing?