The Jeremy Hunt job.

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
With relation to this debate in the house of commons or any other come to that, I don't believe MP's should have a right to abstain they should be compelled to vote either way.

In this case surely as an MP you either think he did breach the parliamentary code or he didn't and should vote accordingly. Isn't the code a set of rules put in place to ensure a certain standard of behaviour is maintained?

By abstaining I think it shows the lib/dems trying to look after their own political interests (not that they're unique in that) rather than doing what (I feel) would be correct.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Abstaining from voting in Parliment when a big issue is the fact the populace don't all vote is not quite right it seems to me..

My Italian friend IIRC tells me that if they don't vote 3 times in a row you lose your right to do so: this would be an interesting element to introduce to the General Elections and in Parliment in my view perhaps limit the number of abstineces (?) the MP's are allowed.

FWIW - I back Vince Cable's view.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    Agree with that

but until the party whips are banned (they tell 650 oxbridge graduates which way to vote...) there is no real free choice in parliament anyway
  • Frank the tank
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Abstaining from voting in Parliment when a big issue is the fact the populace don't all vote is not quite right it seems to me..

My Italian friend IIRC tells me that if they don't vote 3 times in a row you lose your right to do so: this would be an interesting element to introduce to the General Elections and in Parliment in my view perhaps limit the number of abstineces (?) the MP's are allowed.

FWIW - I back Vince Cable's view.

I don't agree people should be compelled to vote in elections,but, MPs should not be allowed to abstain once elected to the house.

I don't know VC's stand on the vote.
    Tail end Charlie

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Sorry- VC's "I declare war on the Murdoch's" stance.
    I don't beleive the press should be regulated as it was in fact the press, via The Guardian that most of this was brought to light but I do believe Murdoch's bid for BSkyB should have been refferred to the Competitions people.

Hunt was just doing what those above him were doing, cosying up to Murdoch, difference being he ends up being the firewall to protect his boss - moth too close to the flame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The problem is not that Vince Cable was dismissed for his comments - you can see why that happened.

It's than then Hunt who made similar comments, just in the opposite direction, wasn't.

That hypocrisy is difficult to justify.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Wasn't Vince already in charge of overseeing the process, though?

From what I've seen reported, it does look like Hunt followed the correct procedure, despite his feelings that were apparently publicly known at the time. Seems to me that Labour should have made an issue of it at the time.

On the other hand, this idea that Smith was working entirely on his own without Hunt's knowledge does seem a tad unlikely. But if no-one has come forward with evidence to the contrary, then I don't really see the point of raking over it further. In the end, the deal didn't happen, so it would seem more like an exercise in political wankery than anything that actually matters.
  • Frank the tank
    I've made a dogs breakfast of this thread with the title really. The debate I was trying to open up (using the Jeremy Hunt situation as an example,because it is current) was should MPs be allowed to abstain from voting on issues in the house.

I must try harder. :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I've made a dogs breakfast of this thread with the title really. The debate I was trying to open up (using the Jeremy Hunt situation as an example,because it is current) was should MPs be allowed to abstain from voting on issues in the house.

I must try harder. :roll:

Again? :roll: :roll:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Surely the job of an MP should be to go into the commons and represent the views of their constituients, not sit on their hands and do nothing , when instructed to support one of their Oxbridge/ Burlington club chums.

The liberals are just showing they are absolubtley toothless and will do anything to Crony up to their Conservative bedfellows to not rock the boat and keep hold of any semblences of "Power".

The only one I ve any respect for is Vince Cable. he told it like it was "Murdoch has too much hold over UK politics and should not be allowed to gain more media assets. So what do they do, D.C gets rid and brings in his more Biddable mate to keep Rupert Happy (Bet he had a favourite Teddy of the same name off Nanny)

I cant wait until someone really gets their teeth into Rebekah Brookes and she looks like doing some real time in Holloway, we'll see just how much she and her throughably likeable husband crony up to their pony club mate D.C then?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I really must get new glasses - that 'J' in the thread title looks like an 'N'....though what a Neremy is I've no idea. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.