David Millar - Olympic Selection

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    This will be the second games where Millar has taken the place of a clean rider who has worked hard and got to the level of selection only to be overlooked in favour of a cheat.

As opposed to most countries where it happens at every Olympics. Not much you can do if CAS has determined convicted dopers are eligible and have to be considered for selection.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    This will be the second games where Millar has taken the place of a clean rider who has worked hard and got to the level of selection only to be overlooked in favour of a cheat.

No it won't, there will only be one of them and that was a while ago.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If Millar puts in a stonking performance to allow Cavendish to beat, say, Vinokurov, all will be forgiven.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Cheats at the Olympics, whatever next...........
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Personally I would not allow any drug cheat to be allowed to compete in any professional sport again, whether that be cycling, rugby or even tiddlywinks.

However I do not make up the rules. So, if we are to compete against other nations, then we should utilise the best people and equipment that we have at our disposal.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Any chance of this opening the door to him signing to Sky?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279

Why? He's nothing special without EPO. I wonder what he's getting paid? I'm sure there's a few dozen guys who can easily do the domestique workload at half the salary.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

Why? He's nothing special without EPO. I wonder what he's getting paid? I'm sure there's a few dozen guys who can easily do the domestique workload at half the salary.

Really?

A few dozen guys that finish regularly in the top 10 of TTs who would do it at half the salary. Well, they're chumps for underselling their services.

Fact is, if you're looking for an experienced rider who can be your captain on the road, who put in a good TT and play a vital part in winning TTTs, then Millar seems a good bet.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Team GB long list for men’s road race (five to be selected):

Mark Cavendish
    Steve Cummings
    Chris Froome
    Jeremy Hunt
    David Millar
    Ian Stannard
    Ben Swift
    Bradley Wiggins

Team GB long list for women’s road race (four to be selected):

Lizzie Armitstead
    Nicole Cooke
    Katie Colclough
    Sharon Laws
    Lucy Martin
    Emma Pooley

The TT has to be picked from someone participating in the RR right?

I'd have: Cav, Wiggins, Millar, Cummings, Swift.

No idea about the women unfortunately.

Wiggins is doing the tt so why Millar? just based on selection I would pick Stannard or Froome to support in the rr
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    mroli wrote:
    Speaking of nice guys - I wonder what Dowsett is thinking right now. I know that he was working hard to try and get himself into a position where he could ride the TT and in doing so, he needed to be in a position where he could ride a long road race and help out Cav.

He has been unlucky with injuries, but so has Cummings - and Millar too for that matter. I guess it shows pedigree counts for something on selection.

(I am not criticising the selection process btw, just giving a thought to AD).

Dowsett has had so little racing that it's difficult to tell how much of a step forward he has made this year, while the likes of Cummings and Millar have proven track records. Very tough break for Dowsett, but he's got plenty of years ahead of him. In a couple years time he'll be option 1 at the TT in Worlds and Olympics.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I applaud British Olympics for trying to keep former dopers out, but I love Holy David, and he's gonna leave his guts on the road for Cavendish in the RR, so I'm chuffed to bits. I have no doubt he's a reformed character.

But I just wanted to give Dowsett a cuddle when I heard he's been left out- he'd stated the Olympics was one of his goals this year. Still, he'll have his chances in Rio.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Why? He's nothing special without EPO.
    You're joking right - a regular top 10 rider in Time Trials, a captain on the road, a poster boy against doping (for some), a pink jumper wearer last year who marshalled things after the WW tragedy, a rider capable of exciting breaks (Vuellta Barcelona ride), a good leadout man and the Richmond Park lap record holder...

He'll never ride for Sky - he acknowledges as much in Riding Through the Dark which people should read...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    None of the ex dopers in any sport should be at the Olympics ever again, but as he is now eligible then of course he should be picked on merit as it stands today.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.