Clips V toe straps?

kela66
kela66 Posts: 32
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all,
What are everyones thoughts on toe straps? V clips?
does anyone still use toe straps and if so why?.
The reason I am asking is because I am hoping to cross over to road riding soon,I breifly flirted with SPD's when riding XC but reverted to flats pretty soon after
( I made sure I gave the lads plenty of laughs first with my "ahem" comedy dismounts first though)
I quite like to look of toe straps as they look a bit more user friendy but still retain the ability to pull up on the pedals to give more power.
so does anyone use them? and what pedal/shoe combo would you recomended?
thanks in advance Kela.
Drop bars n beat's

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Toe straps are better than flats.
    Clipless are better than toestraps.

They're more user friendly - you dont have to reach down to release the strap to release your foot in a hurry. Theres no pressure round the foot - the strap used to cut in and give you numb toes in the cold. And most shoes arent designed for straps nowadays - all that velcro and strange locking mechanisms get in the way.

I like Look for road bikes and Time Atac for mtb/winter bikes. They're all good though. As to shoes - comfort rules. Try some on.
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    Toe clips *should* be used in conjunction with traditional cleats, which don't allow any float at all. I recommend you get some clipless that have float and learn how to use them properly, it's very easy and you can pull on the upstroke too.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    if you're doing serious miles/time on the bike then you will benefit from clipless. There are lots of reasons but the main one for me is comfort. I used to get quite a bit of pain in my feet using clips and straps, now I've gone clipless it's pain-free.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    On the other hand you can use toe clips and straps the easy way - leaving the straps loose and just sliding the front of your feet in. THat way you get much of the mechanical advantage of clipless (but not all, it must be said) and can still use whatever shoes you like, whenever you like and have no issues whatsoever with float.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm still on straps but purely a thing in my head: had a bad skiing injury hurt my knee and now have a fear. Going to change when I get my nerw bike this month.

I have spent alot of time in the saddle and I wonder how much of a difference clipless will make this year.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    kela66 wrote:
    Hello all,
    What are everyones thoughts on toe straps? V clips?
    does anyone still use toe straps and if so why?.
    The reason I am asking is because I am hoping to cross over to road riding soon,I breifly flirted with SPD's when riding XC but reverted to flats pretty soon after
    ( I made sure I gave the lads plenty of laughs first with my "ahem" comedy dismounts first though)
    I quite like to look of toe straps as they look a bit more user friendy but still retain the ability to pull up on the pedals to give more power.
    so does anyone use them? and what pedal/shoe combo would you recomended?
    thanks in advance Kela.

I recently changed over from loose toe clips to SPDs on my road bike, I commute a lot so needed to be able to walk a bit, teamed them with a nice Bontrager mtb shoe (as un-mtb as poss). Don't really notice a power increase but have got rid of the numb toes and pressure spots.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Toe clips require a bit of though to get them working well.
    Dont cinch them tight. If you need this degree of connection, SPD is safer.
    Use a shoe with a clean upper, leather reinforcement at the correct places, no sticky-outy mouldings and a sole with the right amount of grippiness: too knobbly and you cant get in or out quickly, so slick and you slide out.
    lips come in different sizes. L is usually good for average male feet (9 or 10)
    Leather straps work better than nylon. Put a twist inside the pedal cage to hold them in place.
    I like MKS Sylvian touring pedals with metal clips. Plastic clips are easier on your shoes but you cant bend them for extra clearance.
  • kela66
    kela66 Posts: 32
    Many Thanks for the replys gent's, much appreciated :)
    Drop bars n beat's
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    toe straps = death traps
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!