Pushing Too Hard

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Was out this morning and in trying to beat a PB pushed too hard. Technique was ragged and I was blowing out of my ar$e culminating in nearly blowing up on a hill that I usually stroll up. Although I still posted a good time there's a lot to be said for relaxing and having a fluid pedal action. Much more enjoyable :mrgreen:

Comments

• klep
    klep Posts: 158
    It might be my lack of knowledge about the English language, but I dont understand any of this.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ^
    We call it 'Strava Segment Hunting'
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ^
    We call it 'Strava Segment Hunting'

No .. thats my Strava 'bagging' thread over in CS :wink:
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    klep wrote:
    It might be my lack of knowledge about the English language, but I dont understand any of this.

+1
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    klep wrote:
    He tried too hard, thinks its better to relax whilst riding but managed to "race" a section of his ride in a good time.
  • skyblueamateur
    Apologies if I didn't state my point eloquently enough for some on here :roll: I was merely pointing out the disadvantages of putting too much effort in and the adverse effect it has on your technique. In my quest to push my limits my upper body tensed up, pedalling technique became sloppy and I exerted a lot more energy with minimal benefit in terms of pace. Obvious I know but then this is the Road Beginners section.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have found I go as quickly if I keep a steady pace rather than go balls out - the timing difference is minimal but the lack of sweating noticeable.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think you'll find that going balls out puts you at a slight aerodynamic disadvantage (depending on their size obviously)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    keef66 wrote:
    I think you'll find that going balls out puts you at a slight aerodynamic disadvantage (depending on their size obviously)
    :lol:

Pushing hard shouldn't necessarily mess up your pedalling technique - being knackered might though hence the term 'pedalling squares' when someone is on the limit. Watch a top time triallist and they will still have a very smooth style and little upper body movement at the end of a race having ridden at the maximum sustainable level for that length of time.
  • skyblueamateur
    I have found I go as quickly if I keep a steady pace rather than go balls out - the timing difference is minimal but the lack of sweating noticeable.

The point I was trying to make articulated in a much more concise manner. Thanks pal 8)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I have found I go as quickly if I keep a steady pace rather than go balls out - the timing difference is minimal but the lack of swearing noticeable.

FTFY
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah, I have a regular 20 mile training loop and find that if I really go for it I can be a minute and a half, maybe 2 minutes up at the half way point, but I lose some or all of that time because I cant push as hard in some of the final sections. So I tend to do a very similar time if I take it a little easier to start - and I finish fresher too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    It's sort of stating the obvious though isn't it? If you ran the first mile of a marathon in 4 minutes you would be highly unlikely to complete it as quickly as you would running the whole thing at a pace you could just about sustain for 26.2 miles.

The key to fast times over a set distance is working out what the maximum effort is you can sustain for that period and keeping consistently at that level. Probably the biggest mistake made by people starting out time trialling is going too hard at the start.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It might be that your balls out style is uneconomical - lots of upper body effort/movement - no return in speed.