n00b looking for buying advice

alextwilson
alextwilson Posts: 21
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey there.

I've just moved over from boring Peterborough to London and work in Chigwell which isn't too far from Epping Forest which from what I hear is pretty decent for having a go around. I'm a beginner, right at the very bottom, but I'd like to start in the MTB world before maybe going somewhere else millions of years down the line.

So, the dull question; where to start? I hear good things about the Carrera Vulcan, and ideally my budget would be under £400.

Cheers!

Alex

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    For the budget, either a Carrera or one of the Decathlon Rockriders. Both are pretty much unbeatable for the money and both are seriously good starting points.

Could also be worth checking out the 'London Rides' thread in the Rides, Routes and Holidays forum. Regular off-road rides in the London area - what's not to like?

And welcome to the forum!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That would be London Calling.

And Hi
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    cooldad wrote:
    That would be London Calling.

Yup, that it would! :oops: :lol:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • This is the most gigantic of bumps, hah.

Never got round to buying a bike through C2W as I now live onsite and I don't think they'll let me get away with it, ha.

My budget has gone down a little to around £250 or so, but I don't mind buying second hand provided it's obvious the bike is in pretty good condition. I just noticed on another site someone selling a Carrera Fury 09 for £260; thoughts for a beginner?

Cheers!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good bike at a good prce as long as it's in reasonable (useable) condition.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What about the Rockrider 5.1? Although I get the impression that their availability is quite limited, hah.
  • croptonboy
    croptonboy Posts: 164
    What about second hand? There's always plenty of bikes available on Gumtree around the London area, and of course there's eBay and this very forum.
  • I'm looking secondhand now.

2007 Carrera Kraken for £115? http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carre ... 1027095187
  • Oh and here's that Fury http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1307665/

Although the idea of buying off a 14 year old frightens me a tad (I'm 25).
  • The Rookie
    Fury looks in good nick and the price is right, much better than the twice as old Kraken.

When you get it be sure to post pics in the Carrera HT thread (link in sig)!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • croptonboy
    Nothing to worry about with that dint in the frame?

Alex, I wouldn't worry about age, I bought my Hardrock from a whipper snapper, and I'm 40! :P
  • Yeah, I'm slightly more concerned looking at it again. Eeep.

Can't see anything within my budget on here, have to scour eBay for something I can pick up super locally; I'm nowhere fit enough for a ride in London to where I am in Chigwell.
  • What about this Kraken, chaps? I've asked about frame size, obviously.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carre ... 1027549063
  • HI CHAPS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161079040366? ... 1423.l2649

Reckon I could do something with this? It needs gear shifters, rear brake, tyres, chains and cables but other than that seems good to go.
  • cooldad
    forks in bits. I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thoughts on this Kraken? He says it's less than a year old anyway

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carer ... to-content
  • The Rookie
    Less than a year old my 4r5e, that's about 2007!

With cable discs the price is about right, not a bargain.
  • Would be more inclined to look at the decathlon rockrider in ilford at £ 125.00 on gumtree also
  • cooldad
    Everything on Gumtree is stolen anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I have to admit I raise my eyebrows every time I see a Gumtree listing with really poor grammar.

What about a Rockrider 5.1 bought new? I might be able to stretch to a 5.2 but it's a hellll of a squeeze.
  • The Rookie
    You should be able to get the better equipped Vulcan for about that price, not sure how that 'seat' is comfy at that angle!
  • I picked that one out because it's reasonably close to home, a 20 minute ride on the bus. Living in London and bikes on train's can't half be a pain, haha.
  • croptonboy
    It would only be any use if the frame size is suitable, and that rather key piece of information has been missed...
  • He never replied to my text anyway so screw him.

£160 for this Kraken reasonable? Frame should fit me fine. http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carre ... 1029284060