Has anyone used the new formula Nitromors to strip a frame?

MacAndCheese
MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've heard the old Nitromors has been banned and the new one is about as effective as urinating on you frame to remove paint - anyone had experience of the new one? Results? (apparently the new one is a green gel).
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Orange Alpine 160

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Its rubbish, get some gasket cleaner it strips paint for fun but be careful it burns, or if your using the nitro put it in a plastic bag and leave it for a few hours, you will have to wire brush it and then try again.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Its rubbish, get some gasket cleaner it strips paint for fun but be careful it burns, or if your using the nitro put it in a plastic bag and leave it for a few hours, you will have to wire brush it and then try again.

+1 paint just laughed at Nitromors :evil:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It took me a weekend to strip some painted (not powder coated) cranks with it. The initial applications seems to do absolutely nothing but after a lot of patience and a bit of provocation with some wire wool it gets going. Once bare metal starts showing its not too bad but still nothing like the old stuff.

Would not like to tackle a frame with it.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Thanks for the replies, it confirmed my doubts - don't want to have to be too aggressive with the wire wool because I'm wanting to polish the metal underneath and get it up to mirror finish (I'm currently injured and off the bike so have a lot of time on my hands!)

Been inspired by Danny Harts charity glory frame at Fort Bill.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • sparky.2002
    sparky.2002 Posts: 118
    Look at my sig..... Nitromors did nothing to my frame... As did all paint strippers.. Heat gun and blade is what I used
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Hmmm, this is odd

If you look at my Bouncy sig ou will see that i used Nitomors to strip powdercoat overspray off my frame. After reading many reports online about it inability to strip powdercoat, I was dubious, but it worked fine.

The key is to not let it dry out. If you apply with a brush, them it will evaporate before it can do anything. I applied using a cotton bud, so you can get a good glob on the area. Needs leaving for a good 10 mins tho.

That said, I was doing relatively small areas. would prob use something stronger for a whole frame, like sodium hydroxide (drain unblocker) or get it shot blasted
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Shot blasted would be my choice for a full frame.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Acid dipping would be my choice.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • adesaxo31
    adesaxo31 Posts: 88
    I went to an auto paint shop an asked for the best stripper they had it cost me 10 quid for a litre an i only used quarter of a tin an it melted my brush an rubber gloves. It was 10 times better than the old nitromorse
  • bennett_346
    What was it called?
  • adesaxo31
    Not sure mate was in a plain blue tin an the bloke put a sticker on that said paint stripper lol
  • bennett_346
    Was it this?

paint-strippers---paint-by-numbers---guys.jpg
  • adesaxo31
    Lol nope i think the chemical was call dichloramethane the shop is called colour werx in stoke on trent 01782 746947 if you give them a call I'm sure he could help
  • I used the new nitromors to strip a frame for my missus. It works ok if you use wire wool and a pair of industrial rubber gloves and really rub hard without giving it any time to dry out. Hope this helps
    one by one my penguins will steal your sanity
  • andysol
    andysol Posts: 125
    Basically dichloromethane is included in Nitromors or used to be and has been banned in paint strippers since 2010. Its not pleasant stuff. Smells nice but does nasty things and needs v good ventilation. Its good for stripping paint or anything else. Powder strip and coat by a professional company would be better and cheaper. Andy
    Evidently i mostly have a FCN of 1. I'm now a lady!
  • adesaxo31
    The stuff i used didn't smell nice at all it smelt salty if that makes sense lol it was the stuff car body shops use an i stripped my frame in 30 mins just put it on with a brush an left it in the garden came back 20 mins later it was all crinkled up an the brush had melted then i just hosed it off an the paint fell away an dabbed it on the bits i had missed