Can you still touch your toes?

2»

Comments

• londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    It's two, 25 minute sessions. One session is specifically for recovering after a ride and the other is for building core strength and strength in key cycling muscles on the days that you're not cycling. I'm really sorry but I can't remember which is which as I haven't used it in a while as I know it off by heart now and have given it to a friend. You could ask them?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I can pretty easily. I'm not sure how useful an ability it is to have, but I got used to doing it when stretching at the end of a gym workout. That reminds me, must rejoin the gym: pecs are fine, moobs are not.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I was tested at the Bike Whisperer and passed with "exceptional" flexibility for my age and gender. When asked if I stretched a lot, Scherrit was visibly disappointed when I said "No - not at all"

On a more serious note, my brother has an enlarged aorta and slightly leaky valve - apparently there's some correlation between this and being very flexible (double-jointed) joints. My heart is fine, however.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

On a more serious note, my brother has an enlarged aorta and slightly leaky valve - apparently there's some correlation between this and being very flexible (double-jointed) joints. My heart is fine, however.

dont say that!

i have rubbery lapse joints in both shoulders :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    Update! I've just checked*, and I can do it more easily than I thought. Still not palms on the floor, but seeing as I do NO stretching and fairly high mileage, I'm pretty happy with that.

*it's a friendly and accepting, close-knit office. :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I don't really do any stretching, but I can still easily touch my toes, even with knuckles if i make a fist - but palms requires a bit of warm up and then I can put palms flat on the floor. I put it down to the karate training as a youngster. Not done that in 15yrs now though.
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Can put palms on the floor no bother - down to years of taekwondo and karate, mind you. On the 'side raise' question when I'm warmed up I can get above shoulder height or thereabouts. Sadly can no longer get down into proper splits without tearing something permanent :shock:

Try standing and touching your forehead to your knees (without bending 'em) :twisted:

Must admit after a lot of cycling I have to work hard at loosening up the hamstrings - must be an age thing.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Can do palms to floor still. when I did kung fu I could do elbow to toe (put one foot out and pull the toes up with the opposite hand as you reach down with the same elbow (this is a great stretch as it
    works the calf and hamstrings) . I have seen someone do head to toe - now that is impressive!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yep, hands flat on the floor here. I stretch 3 times a day, religiously. It helps me I think.

I do need to find a stretch for the back though, especially the lower.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • No - not without taking my shoes and socks off.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,066
    I can't get anywhere near, even with fingers outstretched, but I've always had the flexibility of a piece of railway track. anyhow, I would have thought that a more important question for a lot of people is 'can you still see your toes?' :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    okgo wrote:
    Yep, hands flat on the floor here. I stretch 3 times a day, religiously. It helps me I think.

I do need to find a stretch for the back though, especially the lower.

Have you tried sad cat/happy cat? Does wonders for my DIY-induced lumbago.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's two, 25 minute sessions. One session is specifically for recovering after a ride and the other is for building core strength and strength in key cycling muscles on the days that you're not cycling. I'm really sorry but I can't remember which is which as I haven't used it in a while as I know it off by heart now and have given it to a friend. You could ask them?
    Thanks. I just wanted to know how many sessions as the download is $9.99 per session and I just wanted to know that there wasn't going to end up being a silly amount.
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    suzyb wrote:
    Thanks. I just wanted to know how many sessions as the download is $9.99 per session and I just wanted to know that there wasn't going to end up being a silly amount.

BTW it's quite a low budget DVD - it's one woman, on her mat, in front of a white curtain. I liked that - it's no fuss, no frills, just her and the instructions. She also looks quite normal (for a yoga instructor) and isn't All American with stacks of make up, perfect teeth and fancy outfits.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    suzyb wrote:

BTW it's quite a low budget DVD - it's one woman, on her mat, in front of a white curtain. I liked that - it's no fuss, no frills, just her and the instructions. She also looks quite normal (for a yoga instructor) and isn't All American with stacks of make up, perfect teeth and fancy outfits.

No lululemon? Gutted.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    suzyb wrote:

That actually seems perfect to me. The quality of the instruction is far more important than the quality of the production.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yes, but I can't get my legs behind my head anymore.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I can touch my toes and put hands flat on the floor but if I just look down, I can't see my toes. The boobs are in the way. :lol:

When I used to play curling, I could put my foot behind my head. I've just tried but definitely isn't going to happen. I have discovered that if I was ever starving, I could probably chew my toenails... :shock:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I can touch my toes and put hands flat on the floor but if I just look down, I can't see my toes. The boobs are in the way. :lol:

When I used to play curling, I could put my foot behind my head. I've just tried but definitely isn't going to happen. I have discovered that if I was ever starving, I could probably chew my toenails... :shock:

You are.the perfect woman. That is all.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Voted 1 as I can touch my toes quite easily but not quite get my hands flat.

Its straightening up that I have problems with :?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Palms flat on the floor for me and further, if required....I do yoga every other week.

**Yes, I am a man and I do yoga....wanna fight about it?! I do yoga because it was recommended to me after I broke my back and arm in a skiing accident. The young, rather attractive physio that I was seeing after said snow blatting made the recommendation to me. I thought that the class would be full of long slim Swedish looking, fitness beauties, how wrong I was. I kept it going though as it quite enjoy the downtime.

** Yoga also releases all the fart.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Yes I can and VERY NEARLY touch my knees with my forehead. If I keep trying, I probably will be able to. You should try it!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    No. I have never (within memory) been able to do this.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I tried the yoga for cyclists dvd. Who knew something so inactive looking could be so exhausting :shock: