Gym only training for MTB ride

2»

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Aye, comes from living near some big moontins, and having the mindset that says "I bet I could ride that".
  • I live about 2 mins away (Cranleigh) from the flat bit of Downslink, and I reckon you're onto a winner with the turbo trainer when it comes to dealing with that bit of the ride. Apart from St. Martha's Hill to Bramley (which is definitely not flat!) it's old railway line, so whilst there's nothing that can be called climbing, there's nothing that can be called descending either... so it's just 30 miles of pedal, pedal, pedal (especially so when it's wet) with the only respite coming in the form of road crossings and the need to avoiding running people over (if the weather's good, it can get quite busy).

In terms of gym-type-stuff, anything that helps with core stability will help you conserve energy, especially if you're prone to a top half that moves about when there's a lot of pedalling going on.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Did my first session on the turbo and I watched sufferfest revolver while I did it. Feel like I got a solid workout in 45 mins! I can definitely see how I would just be plodding away and not getting the best out of it if I was just watching a movie or something but with Sufferfest it was a proper training session. Really glad I got the session in - I wouldn't have touched my bike for a whole week without todays go on the turbo. Very pleased indeed! Have also ordered a wheel and cassette to use just for the turbo.. Really hoping it all fits together nicely. My heart rate chart looks like a hedgehog lol.

Was in a hurry today to take my kids swimming hence the short session. Plan to combine Sufferfest with some longer plodding sessions to build endurance over the coming weeks. Will probably watch movies during the plods. Does that make sense or should I stick with Sufferfest? My plan was to get my heart rate up to the same as the average on my longer outdoor rides and just keep it there in the plodding sessions.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • zznmfc
    zznmfc Posts: 37
    Dubcat - how did you get on :) ? Doing it myself in 2013 and need to get training as I'm deffo not a wippet ;)!