Lezyne Tools

Frodo1095
Frodo1095 Posts: 252
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Missus just bought me a workstand for my birthday and I am now looking to get some tools.

I really like the look of the Lezyne tools and they cover the jobs I would be happy to do myself (freehub, BB, cassette removal, pedals).
Just wondering if anyone has used them and are they any good ?

I know Park Tools are the best, but they seem to have like 4 different tools for the same thing, so not sure which ones to go for.

Or should I just get a cheap set and upgrade as they break ?

Any ideas / suggestions

Thanks in advance

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I don't have any of their tools but I have a couple of Lezyne's pumps and the quality is first-rate.

In terms of tools I have bought a few Park Tools but for home maintenance I think they are slightly OTT. Have bought a cheap'n'cheerful chain whip, chain breaker, pedal spanners, cone spanners etc from the lbs and they seem just as good and don't break we're talking years of home maintenance here.

The only exception is Park Tools mini chain tool which takes a pin out so easily you'll think the tool has broken.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've used some Lezyne stuff and it was all very good, very well made and did the job it was supposed to. I especially like the track pump.

However, if you aren't going to be using the stuff all that often Brand-X stuff is good kit and cheap. I've got BB tool, chain whip, cassette removal tool and a chain stretch measurer from them and they are all good quality bits of kit. Don't bother getting normal items like hacksaws and pliers from a bike shop though, get them from B&Q or somewhere and save yourself a load of cash. If you're needing allen keys take a look at these. I got some recently and they are surprisingly good, put some decent pressure through them and they don't round and they fit into bolts very well. Not to mention they come with a handy stand that quite often would set you back that price alone. Make sure you get some decent cable cutters, I got some Halfords ones for about £20 I think it was and they work but the park ones I've used are noticeably easier to use but also a lot more expensive. I wouldn't bother buying them though.

Maybe think about a socket set as well if you don't have one, Halfords do some great ones for cheap, and some good quality grease, I've got some Park Poly Lube and some Halfords Teflon stuff which are both good.

All the expensive tools I've used have been in the bike shop where it makes sense to have expensive tools but for the average user with just a few bikes to maintain, cheaper tools make more sense, they still last very well and they'll see a fraction of the use tools do in a bike shop so can appear to outlast them.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I've used Lezyne mini tools and pumps and the quality and design of both are excellent. Their mini chain breaker, for instance, is a lesson in ergonomics. It's refreshing to see a real person has actually sat down and thought about the task and come up with a comfortable, easy to use, real world solution.

The cheaper tools at places like Merlin do the job though, they just don't have that last bit of finishing and thought behind them.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    only used their pumps not actual tools so can't comment on that. But their stuff seems pretty well made so I'm sure you can't go far wrong?

otherwise look at the tools on Superstar. They are exactly the same as the "lifeline" brand and are of a more than good enough standard for a home mechanic.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The set I got from lidl for £20 is still working well! Some of the more modern tools werent included though-ive had to add these. It has still probably cost less than £50 though, and I have the correct tools to completely dismantle, maintain and reassemble my bike.
    If you can afford Lezyne, by all means go for it. Some of their stuff, particularly the track pump, looks brilliant. However, if you are on a budget, I would be tempted to save a bit on the tools(some of which you will probably only rarely use anyway) and invest the money you save in decent grease, a decent track pump and a torque wrench.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.

Not majorly flash with cash so will have a little look at some sets like you recommend and see what I can get.

Can anyone recommend some good grease ?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    depends what job you're doing but the shimano workshop grease is good and covers you for most jobs

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24446