Brooks saddle.......Oh yes.

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Bought a Brooks B17 last week but haven't been able to got out for a ride until today, did 18.75 miles in 1 hour 52 minutes, so averaging 10mph, my arris felt good, but was slipping about a fair amount on the shiny surface, even now 10 hours after I got home, my butt is not causing me any problems, I'm a bit stiff though and I was very tired for the last 5 miles of the ride, I had porridge and plenty to drink before I went and a litre of water on the ride.
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    You can't beat a Brooks! Glad you're enjoying riding on it.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've ridden on nothing else for thirty years, and wouldn't consider changing. And you'll find the saddle grows more comfortable over the years. And unlike gel saddles, they never wear out.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    2 hours of v gentle exercise doesn't test a saddle at all, and you can beat a Brookes saddle. Like a lot of biking accoutrements technology has given us better alternatives.

Each to their own & all that but I really don't agree with these occasional 'Brookes are the only saddle anyone should seriously consider' threads. I had one for a while; didn't get on with it and it looked a bit stupid on top of a carbon road rocket. I'm sure they're quite good, but so was the Italian thing that I enjoyed being on for a long while, and so is the Phenom currently atop my seatpost.

Just saying. :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It's that saddle slowing you down.... thats what it is... as above just saying like.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've ridden Brooks B17 saddles a lot in the past. Great for touring, but rubbish for a bike with a remotely low front end and terrible if you want to use the drops at all. So yes, they're good, but no they're not THE answer for everyone and every type of riding. You need them slightly nose up to avoid slipping forward btw (which is why they're crap if you use the drops).

The standard ones also weigh almost as much as a bike.....
    More problems but still living....
  • Hoopdriver
    No saddle is right for everyone. I think we all know that. I believe the OP made his post because he had managed to find his personal holy grail - the comfortable saddle, and was delighted with the discovery. I happen to get on very very well with Brooks saddles myself. All the same I have never in my life said they were the only saddles anyone should buy - although they are the only saddles I (that's me personally) will buy or want to use. Others like other saddles, whether for comfort or weight reasons - although I doubt very much whether the savings in grams will really boost them that much higher up the ladder of cycling immortality when they race.
  • While it would be nice to have a carbon flyer or even the money to buy one, I'm not that way inclined, I just need a bike to be suited to my needs and comfortable to use, I'm not the fastest cyclist around, I like to go at my own pace and faster if possible, I try to average 10mph or more when I'm out, I cannot justify spending money I haven't got or can find a better use of on a spangly super duper bike when I can do what I want/can/need on what I have that is within my capabilities, if in the future, I have some money available, there is a bike I want and I can justify its purchase and performance, I may buy it, but at the moment, I'm just getting back into it after 4 years out of the game with a prosthetic limb, arthritis and spinal problems, the Brooks saddle is heavy, not a problem to me, it just needs to do what I want it to do, I've tried 3 saddles and none have really given me the comfort when cycling. My physical problems cause me the majority of difficulites when cycling, I cannot get out of the saddle to pedal as I don't have the core strength or balance to do it along with the fact that my prosthetic leg doesn't work as I want it to, hence the lowering of the gearing to help on the inclines, my endurance is very limited too, so all in all, it's going to be a struggle, but I'll try and I'll keep enjoying it.
    I'm 51, 3 stone+ overweight and as stated, I'm not in the best physical condition, but it won't stop me from having a go.
    Cube Peloton Pro.
    Genesis Core 30.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Good for you, I have my own little problems when out on the bike. I couldn't even ride a bike because of them till I was well into my twenties!

I just do it because I love it, thats the only reason anyone needs :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Hoopdriver
    Agree absolutely with the above. Ride because you enjoy it. I'm delighted you found a saddle that works for you - that's the trick to making cycling pleasurable.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I've got a few Brooks saddles - some of which I've had since the late 1950s. All well broken in and comfortable, but, I'd never use them now as they are far too heavy. My favourite leather saddle was my old Mansfield North Road but unfortunately they are no longer available.

I now mainly use the old Rolls - both leather and suede versions, although I find the cheap On One from Planet X quite comfortable and good enough for 100 miles.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    While it would be nice to have a carbon flyer or even the money to buy one, I'm not that way inclined, I just need a bike to be suited to my needs and comfortable to use, I'm not the fastest cyclist around, I like to go at my own pace and faster if possible, I try to average 10mph or more when I'm out, I cannot justify spending money I haven't got or can find a better use of on a spangly super duper bike when I can do what I want/can/need on what I have that is within my capabilities, if in the future, I have some money available, there is a bike I want and I can justify its purchase and performance, I may buy it, but at the moment, I'm just getting back into it after 4 years out of the game with a prosthetic limb, arthritis and spinal problems, the Brooks saddle is heavy, not a problem to me, it just needs to do what I want it to do, I've tried 3 saddles and none have really given me the comfort when cycling. My physical problems cause me the majority of difficulites when cycling, I cannot get out of the saddle to pedal as I don't have the core strength or balance to do it along with the fact that my prosthetic leg doesn't work as I want it to, hence the lowering of the gearing to help on the inclines, my endurance is very limited too, so all in all, it's going to be a struggle, but I'll try and I'll keep enjoying it.
    I'm 51, 3 stone+ overweight and as stated, I'm not in the best physical condition, but it won't stop me from having a go.

Good for you, just keep going and ignore any comments from the precious few on here.

This merits post of the year IMHO.
  • CiB
    Navrig wrote:
    Good for you, just keep going and ignore any comments from the precious few on here.

I agree with him, which is why I opted out of the discussion once it became clear that we weren't dealing with yer standard everyday cyclist. I stand by my comment that Brooks saddles aren't the be all and end all for saddles though.

regards
    Precious.
    :)
  • Hoopdriver
    CiB wrote:
    Navrig wrote:

I agree with him, which is why I opted out of the discussion once it became clear that we weren't dealing with yer standard everyday cyclist. I stand by my comment that Brooks saddles aren't the be all and end all for saddles though.

regards
    Precious.
    :)
    No saddle is the be all and end all. There were only a few people myself included saying they considered Brooks to be very fine saddles. A problem?
  • CiB
    Strewth. I forgot this was the internet where everything has to be spelt out in words of two or fewer syllables.

It's common for people to start threads here & elsewhere singing the praises of Brooks saddles. Its then more common for a lot of other people to join in claiming that they're the best saddle you can buy, and by implication anything else is not as good. It happens a lot; I'm just putting forward an opposing viewpoint that other v good saddles are also available. That's all.

Problem? No.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    JGSI wrote:
    It's that saddle slowing you down.... thats what it is... as above just saying like.
  • Hoopdriver
    CiB wrote:
    Strewth. I forgot this was the internet where everything has to be spelt out in words of two or fewer syllables.

It's common for people to start threads here & elsewhere singing the praises of Brooks saddles. Its then more common for a lot of other people to join in claiming that they're the best saddle you can buy, and by implication anything else is not as good. It happens a lot; I'm just putting forward an opposing viewpoint that other v good saddles are also available. That's all.

Problem? No.
    I think we are all well aware that there are many saddles on the market. None of them are 'good' unless they work for that individual rider. If someone starts a thread extolling the praises of their Brooks saddle, and that annoys you, perhaps you shouldn't read the thread.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    People that rave about weight make me laugh. Carbon components, bottle cages and titanium screws... then they load up with a 'heavy' bottle of water/juice nullifying all that money spent!

Yes the Brooks weigh a fair bit, but they are comfortable and do the job. When you are sat on the seat other people cannot see it. To be a fashion victim and scorn them as you have a carbon bike sums up the shallowness of some people.

Next we will end up weighing bib shorts and the extra padding doesn't suit my carbon! :roll:

:lol:
  • Hoopdriver
    Garz wrote:
    People that rave about weight make me laugh. Carbon components, bottle cages and titanium screws... then they load up with a 'heavy' bottle of water/juice nullifying all that money spent!

Yes the Brooks weigh a fair bit, but they are comfortable and do the job. When you are sat on the seat other people cannot see it. To be a fashion victim and scorn them as you have a carbon bike sums up the shallowness of some people.

Next we will end up weighing bib shorts and the extra padding doesn't suit my carbon! :roll:

:lol:
    Indeed. +1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Garz wrote:

This really makes no sense whatsoever unless you are are a T1000!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The best saddle you can get is one that is comfy for you, meets your needs and gets you out cycling more.

Glad to hear the B17 is working out for you Kernal. I am a large lad just looking at getting time in the saddle and for me also the Brooks does that. Keep going.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Rolf F wrote:
    This really makes no sense whatsoever unless you are are a T1000!

If this makes no sense to you then there is little point in expanding. :shock: Good day to you. :arrow:
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've got a B17 on my Roadrat which is used for commuting, touring and relaxed local rides. I found it comfortable from the start and don't care about the weight.
  • bulluke23
    bulluke23 Posts: 48
    I have had a Brooks Swift for over a year now and it has been great, comfortable from the start.

Only issue i have had is recently is i think it needs a bit of tension as it is sagging around my sit bone area. Hopefully that will pull back the comfort
    Summer: Condor Classico
    Winter: Genesis Ather