Front Rim Replacement Needed After A Crash

benmatthews
benmatthews Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am really new to the sport and really need some help please, I have started going over Cannock Chase and on Sunday I had a really hard crash and knocked myself out and fractured a finger. Worse of all I buckled my front wheel and need to replace it, I have a Specialized Hardrock 2011 and the Rims are: Alex Rims HRD Double Wall 55x17 6061-T6 26", 6-bolt Disc Brake, Quick Release.
Below is a photo of the label:

I have searched for a like for like replacement but can't find one. Could someone please suggest a good alternative as I am absolutely clueless?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ben

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    By the time you've replaced it and had a new wheel built up, you're probably better off buying a new wheel. Unless you can build it yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I just noticed it should have been 559x17. Thanks for the reply, if I went down the whole wheel with spokes option - could you suggest anything specific?
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    What is your budget? Would you consider investing in a wheelset or just a new rim to get you back mountainbiking? What is your type of riding?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    What cooldad said. Unless you can source the exact same rim (you'll save a ton on spokes that way), you're better off buying a new wheel.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    What you looking to spend?

Personally I'd head over to Superstar Components;
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=315

and custom build one
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    edited June 2012
    How badly is it buckled? Can it be straightend out by your lbs? If not a mavic 319 built onto a deore 6 bolt hub from merlin cycles would be a good buy. ( merlin have a very good reputation for wheel building ) Can be had for around £55. See here:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -disc.html
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I read that if it doesn't spin through the fork then it's a write off (was in MBUK a few months ago). Up to 20mm of movement is repairable. I reckon if it spins in the fork take it down to your LBS to have it trued (unless you want to do it yourself). Probably cost around £15.

New rim probably not worth while unless you know what you are doing when it comes to wheel building and considering the wheel it's probably best to just replace it with a new wheel or go for a whole wheelset. Usually some cheap front wheels on ebay, might be worth a pop if it can be had for not much.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would recommend dropping it into Swinnos on the Chase. Ask nicely for Mark or Jack and take some cake and with a bit of luck you will get the wheel rebuilt for the cost of a new rim

Don't tell them I sent you
  • Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to take it to my lbs and see if it can be repaired - if not then i will go from there.
    Thanks.