Riding with MTB slicks

ChabbyAlonso
ChabbyAlonso Posts: 12
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've read that damage to the bike is likely when riding a road bike over curbs and the like, mainly to the tyres. Is it the same case with MTB slicks on a mountain bike, if not, could someone kindly list MTB slicks that would withstand the rigours of riding over bumps, curbs, drains, etc.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    No, it's not the same, MTB slicks are still like tractor tyres compared to proper road racing tyres. So take your pick of whatever MTB slicks you fancy - but if you're planning on smashing into curbs then get a decent volume tyre, start looking at 2.0 up. And if you plan on doing some off road then you might want to consider semi slicks.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Hi Chabby, I'm gonna recommend Schwalbe City Jets. Great tyres and they're puncture resistant.

I started off with 1.95 and they're fine and you can find them for a good price. I paid £11.99 each on Amazon if I remember correctly.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I like the Continental Sport Contacts. I just did London to Bristol on the bike below with the 1.6" fitted. They are much better than the 1.3" version!

I'd also echo that if you're actively doing jumps and flying down steps to get something larger.
  • holiver wrote:
    I like the Continental Sport Contacts. I just did London to Bristol on the bike below with the 1.6" fitted.

I use them for the C2C, Hadrians Way and Coast-and Castles trips.
    (And my mate was so lazy that he never bothered swapping his tyres back. He went through the winter (offroad), using them. He now sees it as a challenge to ride everthing on slicks now.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)