Liquigas - Tour Options

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited June 2012 in Pro race
So based on the way Sagan has been riding and the way Nibali has been riding recently, would you put a sqad in to try and get Green or maybe an outside chance of the GC with Nibbles. I'd like to hear from the people who understand this better, as I am still learning. Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They can support both fairly easily.
    Nibali is a steady pace climber who can hang on to other team's efforts. His team won't seek to dominate like they do at the Giro - they'll let the likes of Sky do that.
    Sagan will win (and he will win) the green jersey by picking up points in the medium difficulty stages that the faster sprinters will be dropped on - leading the peloton for 5th place behind the breakaway - rather than by winning multiple stages. On the bunch sprints he won't need much support. Certainly no big lead out. Daniel Oss will suffice.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Nibali is a steady pace climber who can hang on to other team's efforts. His team won't seek to dominate like they do at the Giro - they'll let the likes of Sky do that.
    Sagan will win (and he will win) the green jersey by picking up points in the medium difficulty stages that the faster sprinters will be dropped on - leading the peloton for 5th place behind the breakaway - rather than by winning multiple stages. On the bunch sprints he won't need much support. Certainly no big lead out. Daniel Oss will suffice.

Sagan will dominate the green jersey a la Kelly.

Certaintly.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Timoid. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sagan will dominate the green jersey a la Kelly.
    Certaintly.
    Yes, could be with time he’ll move on to other things in a Kelly-/Jalabert-like manner too. Or perhaps more likely move on in a Boonen-like manner.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Don't think their is any doubt that Leakygas will be riding for Sagan. Nibs will be at the Tour but they won't be supporting him as much as they would previously if he is leaving end of season.

Shame Leaky will be doing part leadouts. I do like seeing Oss do suicidable attacks on sprint stages!
  • Nibali has an issue with Liquigas as he has already signed to Astana for next year (2.5 mill euro?). He doesnt agree with the USA programme they have landed him with post Tour.

I think he's got plenty to give - his form this year is very good. In my eyes he is a definite podium contender especially with a strong climbing team around him
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I reckon St Ivan will do a reasonable ride.

No pressure, a not overly brutal Giro in his legs and not too much racing this year
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I a not overly brutal Giro
    :shock:

should have been on the pampeago / stelvio - two 6 1/2 stages back to back
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I a not overly brutal Giro
    :shock:

should have been on the pampeago / stelvio - two 6 1/2 hour stages back to back
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    I reckon St Ivan will do a reasonable ride.

No pressure, a not overly brutal Giro in his legs and not too much racing this year

Is this the same predictive mind that lost you the Timoid bet, and said that, before the 2011 Giro, that Szmyd would be mega?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Is this the same predictive mind that lost you the Timoid bet, and said that, before the 2011 Giro, that Szmyd would be mega?

Hey, if you can pretend to know about cycling after April, I can also have an opinion
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's a seriously wide open tour. They'd be crazy not to back Nibs for GC.
    I'll be throwing a few quid on him.
    exercise.png
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Hoping for a proper Ding Dong battle Between Cav, Sagan and Gilbert (if BMC let him). Could be even better than last year!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Hoping for a proper Ding Dong battle Between Cav, Sagan and Gilbert (if BMC let him). Could be even better than last year!

I still think Sagan is a power sprinter whereas Cav is a pure sprinter. It's in the kick and I think Cav can out kick Sagan everytime Goss Kittel, Griepel and even Nacer Bouhanni/Demare look more threatening

Is Gilbert a 'sprinter' at all?

I wanted to see that Glaz kid from Katusha up against Cav this year but he's on a ban
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    ddraver wrote:

Surely Cav won't make it to Paris...

Should be interesting to see Sagan v. Cav, I'm guessing the green jersey should be a good battle next year.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well, hence the hoping Jez...

and SGS - it's not all about the flat stages..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Well, hence the hoping Jez...

and SGS - it's not all about the flat stages..

oh - you mean a ding dong for the green jersey? I wondered why you said Gilbert :)

Yes it would be good but Cav/Paris - will he /won't he !