saddle bag?

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Im in the market for a saddle bag. Not after anything too big or too small. Ive had no experience of one but looked at a couple. what would peoples opinions be of either of these two...?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-ca ... addle-bag/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wed ... addle-bag/

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Neither. Rear jersey pockets should suffice.

I have the Topeak one and I don't like it. But can't recommend the Lezyne one as I've never used it.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It took me a while to find a good one - Altura speed seat/medium, Not to big, not to small, tapered and it doesn't look like a suitcase under your saddle.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    You can't clip a light to the the Lezyne one...if that's important to you. (I always like to have a light clipped to my saddle bag as I don't have enough seatpost showing below the saddle bag to put a light on the seatpost.)
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    Herbsman wrote:

I have the Topeak one and I don't like it. But can't recommend the Lezyne one as I've never used it.

I have the Topeak also. It's ok, but I agree if you can get away with your jersey its perfect. Otherwise Rapha do a very smart under saddle pouch for inner tube ect for about 40 quid. Looks much better than a saddle bag IMO
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Just get the Lezyne one, I've been through a few others and it's by far the neatest.
  • Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    I personally much prefer the ones that clip to, rather than hang under, saddle.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Herbsman wrote:
    But I can manage a commute in with a shirt, lunch & phone in the jersey pockets - so long as I have a bag to put the spare tube and levers in...
    Pump is mounted on the frame by the bottle bracket - I assume that's wrong too?! ;)
    I can't see any reason to change this unless racing ... (which I don't do anyway)

If it's weight you're worried about - loose a pound of fat !!

I've got a specialized mini wedgie - just enough room for a tube and the levers - it's ok but doesn't give easy access to the bag because the zip goes up under the saddle - but as I don't intend to need it quickly or often it will be fine.
    It's quite small and slimline - which I prefer to the monstrosity I used to have.
    It does allow me to clip (a second) rear light on.
    IIRC it was about £12 from my LBS
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I use the small version of the top peak - it is big enough for inner tube, two tyre levers, gas cannister and valve and the main hex keys and two plastic gloves (nicked from the petrol station) house keys and £10. There is room enough for another innertube if I wanted it. So small is fine and less draggy.

I don't carry it unless on a long ride in deep country but it is handy as I can quickly put it on any bike I use and I know everything I need is there. i use my back pockets for gels etc, phone and snot rags.
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    The Lezyne Micro that you have linked to is an excellent bag. It's stretchy, so although neat and small you can get alot in there. Also, the velcro "ears" on either side keep it tight under the saddle and rattle free. I have used ones with clips previously and had the clips break after a while, and the ones that velcro around the seat post can catch on your shorts. The Lezyne is the best saddle bag I've ever used, and it looks damn good too.
    Ridley Orion
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    Slowbike wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    But I can manage a commute in with a shirt, lunch & phone in the jersey pockets - so long as I have a bag to put the spare tube and levers in...
    Pump is mounted on the frame by the bottle bracket - I assume that's wrong too?! ;)
    I can't see any reason to change this unless racing ... (which I don't do anyway)

If it's weight you're worried about - loose a pound of fat !!

I've got a specialized mini wedgie - just enough room for a tube and the levers - it's ok but doesn't give easy access to the bag because the zip goes up under the saddle - but as I don't intend to need it quickly or often it will be fine.
    It's quite small and slimline - which I prefer to the monstrosity I used to have.
    It does allow me to clip (a second) rear light on.
    IIRC it was about £12 from my LBS

I just got the mini wedgie too, got a boxed tube, 2 levers, one multi Alan key and a spoke key in there, meaning I can now carry an extra 2 tubes in my jersey. Lets face it, its going to keep raining and washing those flints into the road!
  • Wazza1878
    Wazza1878 Posts: 59
    I've got the Sidekick from topeak, excellent bag, apart from when you leave it unzipped and go down a rather steep hill!
    Wazza
  • Asda sell one for a fiver, looks the same as most of the others
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    I've had one with velcro under my saddle drop off on a rainy day.. Look for something that clips to your seatpost!
  • TrickyGB
    TrickyGB Posts: 81
    I have the toppeak in the link, it's excellent. Slightly bigger than the specialized mini but a better shape. Fits everything I need in it which leaves my pockets free for snacks etc
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    klep wrote:
    I've had one with velcro under my saddle drop off on a rainy day.. Look for something that clips to your seatpost!

I've had the clips break on previous saddle bags, so buy one with velcro!

My point being that you are best getting what you want, because you'll get a thousand different opinions on here, the vast majority being irrelevant.
    Ridley Orion
  • lauprok
    lauprok Posts: 11
    I have both saddle bags. The top peak one can fit a lot more in it and can expand, but I prefer and always use the Lezyne bag. In my Lezyne bag I always carry 2 spare tubes, Lazyne repair kit that the bag has a little pocket for and levers which theres also little pockets for. Underneath the saddle bag is also a pocket for a multitool too.
    The Lezyne does not move at all under the saddle but the Top Peak tends to move about a bit.
    I have the white version of the Lezyne and it looks grubby as hell now but matches my saddle so I just scrub it best I can after a wet ride..
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I have the Top Peak one on my bike, [as seen on my avatar] it's used for tools, mini pump, tube and repair kit all stuffed in with a high-vis bag cover for the bad days. It is useful for such items, not much else really but can keep your pockets empty on a ride that needs nothing more than your tools and spares.

On the minus side, it slides down my high seat stem though, but I hold it up with and extra fixing as it is near enough permanent. I think the expanding zip is pointless though, just make it full size only. The zip opening on the flap gives a wide opening but tends to spill the contents of the pocket in the flap when open, rendering it also pointless.

I'm keeping it on my bike permanently even though I have a rack and pans because I can go on lightweight rides without pan and it saves changing tools and spares around and it gives quick access to them when my rack and pans are full.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich