new disc brakes for a 2005 marin alpine trail

Silent
Silent Posts: 49
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi

need some decent hydraulics to replace my hayes crap on my bike. i've been recommended shimno M596's as my budget is low and they are pre-bled and ready to go - not very mechanical me.

my budget is £150 top. what should i get?

also, can i use my current rotors?
Marin Alpine Trail 05, with a nice nex fox float on the back!

Comments

• Bhandylegs
    Bhandylegs Posts: 11
    2012 Xt brakes from rosebikes for £135 delivered best for the money in my opinion
    a minimalist show off
    Boardman Team Carbon, Gt idrive (heavy!), Specialized Langster, Pinnacle Trojan 2.0
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    They are an absolute steal for the price, but Rose only seem to sell European configuration brakes (front left, rear right), so the OP would need to swap the hoses, which will add some faff.

Merlin Cycles will do the 2012 M666 SLX front and rear set for 150 and they're a mighty fine brake.

The existing rotors should still work, but you may have to make sure you've got the right adaptors for the brakes (they'll come post-mount as standard front and rear).
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Silent
    thanks guys

the slx seem good. what adaptors do i need and what are they? sorry for sounding thick.
  • Clank
    No such thing as a dumb question - only dumb answers! :lol:

If memory serves me correctly, the Alpine Trail and fork had 'IS mounts' front and rear and calipers to match. The SLX (and most other modern calipers) are designed for 'post mount'. So if you don't have an adpator already, you'd need ones to go from IS tabs to post mount and that match the diameter of your rotors. There's some piccies below that should help you identify what we're talking about.

There's a good chance that you may be able to use your existing mounting hardware, especailly if the brakes have been upgraded in the past.

IS Mount and caliper
    caliper_mount_150.jpg

Post mount and caliper
    1285326086042-1e5si7xiqhdfv-670-75.jpg

IS Mount frame, Post mount caliper and IS to Post adaptor
    Hayes%20stroker%20rear%20mount.JPG

Grab a piccy of your current set-up and we should be able provide a more definitive answer - also, what diamter are your brake rotors currently?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• Silent
    my ones seem to be is mounts according to your pictures, they connect directly to the frame and fork without a adaptor.

WP_20120613.jpg
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Im guessing that you have 160mm rotors front and rear then currently.
    You can use your current rotors if you get a 160 is to post adaptor for front and rear
  • Silent
    ok, many thanks. will the original spec sheet tell me the rotor diameter?

i assume they are standard. i may get new ones as they are 8 yrs old. or keep them and get the SLX instead of the deore ST's which are £100 the pair.

if they are pre-bled, do i need to cut the tubes which means they need bleeding again?
  • Clank
    I've never bothered cutting the hoses - just kept them at the standard lengths and it's not been a problem. This means no brake bleeding - so I'd not be worried about that.

Your front rotor is currently 160mm. If you're going for new rotors, you can pick the size you want, and then the IS to post adaptors that suit - makes life easy!

The Deore brakes aren't bad at all (running them on SWMBOs bike), so you could save yourself a few quid and still end up with a good brake set. We're both running 180mm rotors front and 160 rears, for info.

• Silent
    thanks again. so i will get the deores as i can only spend 100 now and keep the rotors i have and get 160 is to post adaptors and happy days! :)

i appreciate all your help guys, i may be back!
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    PS, your current setup looks poorly aligned. You can see that there is unused braking surface at the perimeter of the rotor and instead, the caliper was braking on the rotor arms.
    Just saying. :)
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Silent
    My local bike shop serviced it all last yr and it wasn't that good. Aparently I need one of each type of brake mount for front and rear according to wiggle. I'll get my back pic up for your perusal
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    For the front brake you need IS to Post mount adapter (for the correct disc diameter), and I wouldn't think that the rear is different. Rarely you can find Post mount rear frame mount, given that the frame is pretty old. But, attach pics to be 100% sure.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Silent
    WP_20120615.jpg

thats the rear
  • Clank
    Yup, definately requires an IS to post adaptor. Thats 160mm disk too.

• Silent
    right about to order and i will get some new blades to, 160 mm one.

shall is get deore XT front and rear or new SLX M675's:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shim ... aid:591869

slightly cheaper. not sure what blades to get as my front is worn.
  • Silent
    and what disc rotors would be best, SLX's or XT's?
  • Silent
    hi

i got the deore's and now finally want to fit.

hgowever, the hayes sole handle bar nuts have worn and shorn so i can;t get them off. i have sawn one off but is there an easier way of removing stubborn nuts.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Silent wrote:
    and what disc rotors would be best, SLX's or XT's?
    There's no measurable performance difference between discs. Just get anything.
  • Silent
    sticking with my originals and will clean them up.

how can i get the nut off from the hayes handle bar brake caliper without sawing it off? allen key won;t grip.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Silent wrote:
    How can i get the nut off from the hayes handle bar brake caliper without sawing it off? allen key won't grip.
    This is the point at which I reach for the Dremel . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Silent
    yes, its drill time.