10 speed shifters with 9 speed block?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Am considering replacing my old friction down tube shifters on my 531 with some indexed affairs. Current block is 9 speed but should I buy 10 speed ones in case I upgrade? And how will that work?

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are you talking about indexed downtube shifters, or going for STI type?

Either way, as far as I know 10 speed indexed shifters will only work with a 10 speed cassette (and chain)
    You might be able to get 10 speed indexed DT shifters and use them in friction mode for now, but I'm not sure that makes any sense
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    In friction mode any downtube shifters work. I use 7 speed downtube shifters this way with a 9 speed cassette (actually a 10 speed cassette with a sprocket taken off so that it's the same width as the 7 speed was). In index mode it would depend more on the rear mech - I suspect with a 9 speed mech all that would happen would be the final click of the lever in one direction wouldn't move the mech at all, with a 10 speed mech you would just use the limit screw to block off the final gear. Probably best to ask in Workshop, I'm sure John T will give you a definitive answer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I dont think it would work at all with 10 speed STIs. This is because the jumps between gears is different for each speed of rear casette. 10s = 10 narrow cogs, 9s = 9 slightly wider, 8s = 8 wider still etc etc. with a chain to match.

While it is possible gears 9 and 1 will align (as they are the top and bottom of the shifters and cassette, you are likely to get clicking in between in most if not all gears.

To be honest, all you need to fully change is to add a 10 speed cassette and chain, and you are laughing. Probably 1/10 of the cost of the levers.

Edit: It also doesn't have much to do with the rear mech either. Think that the shifters are 'intelligent' (i.e decide how much to move the mech for each shift) and the mech is dumb (i.e moves as much as the shifter tells it).
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    nop wont work...spacings are different. dont forget with a 10speed cassette your also need a new 10speed chain....chainrings "should" be ok...9/10speed chainrings are ok.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    The difference between 9 and 10 speed is 0.39mm per sprocket.
    Index on the centre sprocket.
    The derailleur will be approx 2mm out at the extremeties.
    Depends if you can live with it!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just buy 9 speed levers ? That's far more of an upgrade than 9 to 10 speed.