POLL: Ride to the Horns 2012 - mad?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
So the other day I just about managed the Tour De Vale 55 mile route, despite dodgy hamstrings. I was pretty tired at the end...

...but in 3 weeks I'm doing the Ride to the Horns 97 mile, and it's a beast with lots more hills...have done a maximum of 75 miles EVER. I can do a bit of training in the week (once bl00dy hamstring sorts itself out...) - should I carry on or bottle out and do the shorter (56 mile?) route???? :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    You'll be fine as long as you ride within your limits and eat / drink sufficiently.
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    SecretSam wrote:
    So the other day I just about managed the Tour De Vale 55 mile route, despite dodgy hamstrings. I was pretty tired at the end...

...but in 3 weeks I'm doing the Ride to the Horns 97 mile, and it's a beast with lots more hills...have done a maximum of 75 miles EVER. I can do a bit of training in the week (once bl00dy hamstring sorts itself out...) - should I carry on or bottle out and do the shorter (56 mile?) route???? :shock:

You'll be pleasantly surprised with yourself - well, hopefully! I was reading a "how to get fit for a Century Spotive" type article the other day, and not once in the recommended training plan did you ride more than 60 miles.

Just ride within your limits, don't get excited, and eat/drink plenty.

And let us know how you got on :D
  • Leeuw
    In fact, try this http://training.bikeradar.com/plan/premium/564 - it's not what I was reading, but it's an intermediate's Spring Sportive Plan - check the ride times in the training plan! :)
  • secretsam
    I need more data in order to make an informed decision!!!

• Leeuw
    You'll x Be + (Fine / Mate)

Enough data? :D
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    If you've done 75, you can do it.

BUT focus on getting your hamstring sorted rather than trying to cram in last minute training. You won't gain much fitness in 3 weeks, and you'll risk leaving yourself exhausted and injured by the time you start the ride. You also won't lose anything significant in terms of fitness in 3 weeks if you take it easy, and you'll feel much better for starting the ride refreshed and not in pain.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yep, if you can do 75, you can do 100, just pace yourself and keep yourself fueled.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • secretsam
    Alibran wrote:
    If you've done 75, you can do it.

BUT focus on getting your hamstring sorted rather than trying to cram in last minute training. You won't gain much fitness in 3 weeks, and you'll risk leaving yourself exhausted and injured by the time you start the ride. You also won't lose anything significant in terms of fitness in 3 weeks if you take it easy, and you'll feel much better for starting the ride refreshed and not in pain.

LOL that's great advice, which I have taken to heart - legs still aren't 100% so it makes sense to rest up ready for the big day.

But it has to be said, I'm absolutely sh177ing myself with fear. Still, on the upside, my ride weight is coming down a treat...

• secretsam
    Well, to update, I've made my decision. Went out for a ride yesterday and my hamstrings were still tight and sore, so have regretfully decided not to do the ride. Am neither fit nor healthy enough to do myself justice, plus my daughter's got a music concert on the same day, and frankly I'd rather see that than suffer 97 miles of discomfort and possible injury.

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I'm such a wimp!