Chain Reaction Bike Bag Pro?

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=66022

As far as I can tell, it's an Evoc bike travel bag ripoff, at half the price. Perhaps the advertising they get out of their massive logo emblazoned on the side helps.

Anyway, does anyone have experience of this one? My current bag is not big enough for my full-sus. At the moment it's only for in the back of the car sometimes, but I may in the nearish future want to take it abroad so I might as well cover both uses. I was all set to blow out on the evoc til I spotted this alternative.

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    milko9000 wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66022

As far as I can tell, it's an Evoc bike travel bag ripoff, at half the price. Perhaps the advertising they get out of their massive logo emblazoned on the side helps.

Anyway, does anyone have experience of this one? My current bag is not big enough for my full-sus. At the moment it's only for in the back of the car sometimes, but I may in the nearish future want to take it abroad so I might as well cover both uses. I was all set to blow out on the evoc til I spotted this alternative.

Thanks!
    linky not going to a bike bag.
    has it been removed?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Link works for me
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ahhh not available where my current IP is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Ooooo, that does look like a bargain. I'm in the market for a bag for an Alps trip in a few weeks and was also set on getting an Evoc bag. Surely can't be much in it apart from the garish logo!
  • milko9000
    I've been looking at the close-up photos and there doesn't seem a lot different there. Hard to be sure about the little details that Evoc have to stop the bag folding in, or scuffing, or etc. Zip quality and that sort of thing. But for such a lower price I might have to gamble.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    If you buy it let us know how you get on. Would be good to know before I buy a bag!
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    I can't see the pics but I've got the 'old' CRC bike bag inc' the wheel bags and it's great. I;m yet to use the actual bike bag but it's huge, more than enough space and loads of spare pockets for .... stuff. Construction looks sturdy enough and zip quality is good from what I've seen.

The wheel bags are brilliant, use them every time I have to drive to a ride, they both have a small pocket in each bag which would accomadate a spare tube etc. Think I paid around £60 for it.

Main bike bag yet to be tested but for £60 (considerably cheaper than the EVOC?) you can't go wrong
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • milko9000
    The 'old' one is still on sale there, looks ok to me but maybe not something I'd trust on a flight. Could be being overly cautious!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    having got and used evoc bike bags many times they are well worth their money.. that crc is almost identical.. the only difference from what i can see is the wheel compartments are accessed from the inside and are staggered on the crc bag were as on the evoc they are accessed from the outside and are both at the back end of the bag.. i almost bought one last week with the jubilee sale on it worked out to be £97 a real bargin.. but i did'nt in the end as i could not justify it and i have already spent to much money buying a new dh bike....
    i can fit my dh bike in my ultra sport bike bag no problems.. it just requires more of the bike to be stripped..
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    milko9000 wrote:
    The 'old' one is still on sale there, looks ok to me but maybe not something I'd trust on a flight. Could be being overly cautious!

if you pack your bike propper then it will be fine.. i been using a ultra sport bag simlar to the crc bag.. only issue i had was i had my rear mech hanger ripped off when i got to whistler.. lession learned remove it...

i use pipe lagging to protect the frame ziptie it on.. remove mech and mech hanger to..
  • milko9000
    Thanks! I reckon I might go be the guinea pig on this one, although since I've not really got any urgency I should wait for a voucher to turn up or something.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I looked at the CRC bag but ended up buyin the Tifosi bag instead, the CRC bag just didnt look very big for my FS but the Tifosi fits it all in nicely with enough space for my pump and some tools aswell as my helmet and shoes.

Very good bag for the money i reckon.