Best xc tyres?

Stevie-eff
Stevie-eff Posts: 36
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Just interested in peoples opinions about tyres.

Ive got a specialized rockhopper comp with the standard specialized the captain sport 26x2.0 tyres on.

Looking to uprgrade as they just dont feel grippy enough.

I do most of my riding at sherwood pines, its a bit sandy in places, lots of patches this exposed tree roots and a some gravel/mud sections. I ride in all weathers.

So far have considered panaracer fire xc pro's and Maxxis high roller xc's.

Any opinions or recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    Both my friends have ironically those Panaracer 2.1" and maxxis in 2.35".

What they've said about it was that the Maxxis work best on more demanding ground and wear out quick on roads and also compromise cornering ability on flat dry track because of the knobbles. They also are quite hard to get the bike going with all that grip.

The Panaracers on the other hand are really good both on the road and on dry track because of their design but the braking is not as pin sharp as the Maxxis in the wet. They also lock into the tree roots which is good for braking but the tread sometimes gives way when cornering steeply (I know - ouch)

My conclusion is that you should get the Panaracers because they will work both in mud and gravel, just watch out for the occasional controlled slip. I am planning to get some of them in a fortnight from him as he is getting some more jump bike like tyres as the days hopefully are getting dryer.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    MTB noob wrote:
    Both my friends have ironically those Panaracer 2.1" and maxxis in 2.35".

Are those Maxxis 60 or 120 TPI?
    Kevlar or wire bead?
    singly ply, dual ply or supertacky?
    UST?
    LUST?
    EXO?

A few variations to choose from!
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    I have a hopper and have ridden Pines with Specialized Captain Control (2.0) and Panaracer Cinders (2.25).

Whilst neither tyre is the same as the ones you mentioned but they are very similar. I found the Cinders to be much better all round, a good level of grip and relatively fast rolling.
  • Stevie-eff
    Thanks all for your replies

Been up to Pines tonight and had a fall in the exact same palce as i did last time, some loose sandy earth on a fast corner. Luckily i got between the ground and my bike so no damage!!!! However, defo getting new tyres now!!!!

Grip is the main thing for me, rolling resistance is an issue but i just want to feel confident throwing my bike into corners at speed.

Starting to lean towards the panaracers i think, might give the cinders a look (thanks jsync), i know pines cycles push the pana fires, didnt know if that was a sales thing or genuine good advice?

Just got to badger the wife now to let me buy some lol!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loose sandy earth - you were going too fast. No tyre will grip if the earth moves underneath it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I've used The Captains and Fast Trak LK around pines with no problems. I'm currently using a High Roller front with a Aspen rear, 60a compound on the High Roller and eXC n the Aspen
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I've used The Captains and Fast Trak LK around pines with no problems.

Me too, although the Fast Trak was a bit lacking in grip when I did - would have preferred narrower 2.0 captains on the back to go with the 2.2 captains up front - that would have been a great combo for Pines in my opinion.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Racing Ralphs
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I've used . . . Fast Trak LK around pines with no problems.

Be aware that there are two or three Specialized tyres called Fast Trak LK - the S-Works one has way more grip and a smoother ride than the cheaper version that often comes as standard equipment on Spec. bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Stevie-eff wrote:
    Best xc tyres?
    it depends on the conditions at the time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    This is a pretty open question, because you'll be hard pushed to find one tyre that performs well in all circumstances but.....i ride at Pines and since putting Nobby Nics on I've noticed a big difference - there's a lot of sand on hardpack round the red route (when it's not too wet) and you'll always get a bit of sideways action no matter what tyres you ride but, if there's grip to be had, Nobby's normally find it. In wetter conditions they work well and, wear rate isnt ridiculous!

Tyres are almost as personal as saddles in my opinion, so recommendations on here may not work for you......if i had to ride one tyre though, i'd stick with the Nobby's
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I've used . . . Fast Trak LK around pines with no problems.

Be aware that there are two or three Specialized tyres called Fast Trak LK - the S-Works one has way more grip and a smoother ride than the cheaper version that often comes as standard equipment on Spec. bikes

Yeah, mine are the S-Works version
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Best XC tyres?

Those ones.

Way too many variables to state one tyre is best and I love how people come on here stating a tyre of choice without understanding the factors. How are you riding, what are you riding on, whats the conditions at the time, at what point do they not feel 'grippy' etc etc.

Perhaps its not the tyre, perhaps is your technique with weighting the bike.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Loose sandy earth - you were going too fast.
    Or ran out of skill more likely
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Loose sandy earth - you were going too fast.
    Or ran out of skill more likely
    What's the difference?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Well he may of been going the right speed but not been good enough to hold it.
  • cooldad
    Well he may of been going the right speed but not been good enough to hold it.
    Er which is called going too fast.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stevie-eff
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the advice and comments (most of them anyway)

Yes, i accept there might be something lacking in my technique, only been riding you about a year and my first venture on Pines red route was January this year. Think i am dong ok for a newbie, getting round in about 50 mins. My aim for this year is sub 45 mins.

But, it still feels like my tyres are not digging in enough when chucking it into corners fast. Maybe it steps out slightly form the use of this forum but any advice on weighting the bike better would be gladly accepted.

Started a new topic in beginners forum about this

At the end of the day, falling off and then trying again is what learning and attempting to get better at it is all about. I just want to minimise the risks by getting gear that will help me!
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    Loose sandy earth - you were going too fast. No tyre will grip if the earth moves underneath it.

surely there is a product available to solve this problem

brakes, maybe?
  • cooldad wrote:

surely there is a product available to solve this problem

brakes, maybe?

...or concrete.

Just mix with the loose sandy earth and add water, wait a bit and then - hey presto! A nice grippy surface!