new MTB advice needed regarding 29'ers v 26

PKRAZOR
PKRAZOR Posts: 89
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm new to mtbs and surfing the net i keep coming up against this 29'er v 26. I've worked out that 26 is the norm for mtbs but 29'ers seem to be the in thing. I know the wheel size is the difference and ive read about the pros and cons but wanted to ask people who have tried both what their experiences have been?

Before anyone says anything, im not after a 'whats best debate' as im not fussed what i decide to get, im more interested what would suit me. Im a big guy, 6ft 2, about 18 stone, fairly fit for my size but obviously steep inclines need more work so whats best in that regard? or is there no difference?

thanks for the advice in advance.

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Huge discussion on wheel sizes here
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    what sort of riding will you be doing?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Best bet is to go on a test day and ride examples of both, then decide.

I keep being told I'm perfect for 29ers as I'm 6'4" and 95kg but I've ridden them many times now (hardtail and full sus) and still keep coming back to my 26". I know shorter people who've gone the other way (ooooerrrrr!) as well so don't let that whole "size" argument sway you. Just view it as a great opportunity to get a perfect bike.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    yeah if you can ride your normal trails on a 29er and a 26" back to back that would be best. also try to take a mate along with you to get a perspective of speed difference and handling.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Well 26 inch wheels are proper mtb's 29ers are road bikes with suspension. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Personally I prefer 26" wheels and don't like the way 29ers steer & ride. But others much prefer 29ers. Get some demo rides.
    There are also 27.5" / 650B wheels as well now to confuse things even more.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    PKRAZOR wrote:
    im more interested what would suit me. Im a big guy, 6ft 2, about 18 stone,
    has no bearing on wheel size at all.

useage has more bearing on wheel size to some.

for me if if has dirt 26" if not 29" and slicks and drop bars.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown