base layers and cycling jerseys

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I am a little confused by this. Its obviously a little warmer now, but do people wear a baselayer under the cycling jersey or not bother at all?

If not when would you use a baselayer, just when its a little colder?

And finally, (forgive my ignorance), can't I just wear a baselayer and a jacket for when its colder in the morning?

thanks

Comments

• nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    1) A lot of people wear a thin summer base layer which helps to wick sweat away from the skin, so even though you're wearing an extra layer it will be cooler

2)For cooler weather you can wear a thermal base layer, personally I wear a merino longsleeve base layer and a short sleeve jersey when it gets slightly chilly and then add a gilet or winter jacket for really cold weather.

3) Yup you can, in winter I tend to just wear my longsleeve base layer and a softshell jacket. If it's really cold I'll wear a long sleeve jersey in between.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I always wear a base layer, helps wick away sweat and keeps you cosy on the downhills.

(in winter I wear two :D)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Penfold06
    Penfold06 Posts: 161
    Do what feels right mate, there's no 'right' way to where your kit :) Although the points made above ^^ are quite valid.

I was told once that it's always good to wear a base layer underneath incase you crash as if your jersey is synthetic it can melt into your skin and be a pain to pick out. Don't know how true this is mind!

Personally I always where the same long sleeve base layer all year round and just change my jersey/jacket depending on the weather. That more to do with budget than preference mind you.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Penfold06 wrote:
    Personally I always where the same long sleeve base layer all year round

Please tell me you wash it occasionally... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I always wear a base layer. And lets face it - in Britain how often is it hot enough to go less than about three tops and a gilet ??

The crash thing I've heard too - but its so that the tops rub on each other rather than you rubbing on the ground.....
  • Penfold06
    Penfold06 Posts: 161
    I do... well someone does, it's magically clean whenever I put it on haha
    but its so that the tops rub on each other rather than you rubbing on the ground.....

And yeah that sounds a bit more likely, I can't imagine the jersey getting hot enough next to the skin before it is ripped to shreds
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    I always wear a base layer for the wicking properties, regardless of temperature. I have various beasts from 4-way stretch super soft t-shirts to thermal long sleeve - and even one with a Windstopper panel on the chest (it's how I get around wearing a gilet 'cougie' :) )

And as for a base layer under a jacket? I do it all the time in winter and on cold days.

A wicking base layer can keep you dry, even in the height of summer - although you'd need a Goretex jacket to keep dry this summer!!
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    While we're on the topic, can anyone recommend a lightweight windproof jersey / jacket for the summer months? I have a Swrve Milwaukee hoodie which I love but once it gets above about 5 degrees it's too hot. I also have a Montane Velocity jacket which is an absolute boil in the bag - no point in clothing being waterproof if you can wring sweat out of whatever you're wearing underneath!

Just want something to keep me a little bit warmer than just a long sleeve base layer, ideally that could be worn in the pub without people staring and / or making comments (i.e. no high-vis!)

Sorry for thread-jacking :-)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    What Nickel said...

Another advantage of a summer base layer is that you can wear a crap jersey over the top and still have.the benefit of a goodlayer next to the skin. Useful if its muddy, offroad so you can wear any old jersey or if your club kit is not the best.

Contraversial now, I go skin, base layer, bib shorts, jersey....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    On all but the hottest of days I still wear a base layer - I have a couple of the Rapha merino tops which are best for the winter, I really like the compression tops (cervelo) which I find are great for a spring summer base layer, but even the cheap Dhb from wiggle are half decent
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    I wear some sort of base layer all year round regardless of how hot it may get, the hot weather in the UK though doesn't happen much as most people know. During the winter I'll double up on the base layers if necessary and wear a good cold weather jacket. I think the advice you've so far been given is pretty good, just wear what feels right for you for the conditions you'll be riding under.

Monkeydan, you could try this:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18074
    I have one of these and it's a great jacket, I've had mine now for about 3 years. I find it works really well throughout the entire year from summer to winter, rate it really highly. It comes in different colours, perhaps for your circumstance you might want the black colour. I notice the price has gone up a little though since I bought mine.
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    ddraver wrote:
    Contraversial now, I go skin, base layer, bib shorts, jersey....

I think that's the normal order? Or am I controversial too? :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I wear a technical T shirt most of the time but this is mainly to stop the bibs rubbing on my nipples!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    monkeydan wrote:
    While we're on the topic, can anyone recommend a lightweight windproof jersey / jacket for the summer months? I have a Swrve Milwaukee hoodie which I love but once it gets above about 5 degrees it's too hot. I also have a Montane Velocity jacket which is an absolute boil in the bag - no point in clothing being waterproof if you can wring sweat out of whatever you're wearing underneath!

Just want something to keep me a little bit warmer than just a long sleeve base layer, ideally that could be worn in the pub without people staring and / or making comments (i.e. no high-vis!)

Sorry for thread-jacking :-)

Craft Performance windproof gillets and jackets are great. Not too expensive, light, pack down really small.