Raspberry Pi - anyone got one yet?

Daz555
Daz555 Posts: 3,976
edited June 2012 in The hub
Got mine at the weekend. Wasn't entirely sure what to do with it but I'm an IT geek so purchase seemed sort of compulsory.

I have to say that so far I'm been impressed with the little gizmo. Setting it up as a media player (OpenELEC/XBMC) was complete childs play and the Rpi ploughs through all my DVIs and MKVs without a stutter and the relatively light XBMC menus do not cause the Rpi much of a problem.

It is a bit fussy about memory cards however and I found the RPi performance doing standard "deskop" stuff in Debian like web browsing etc to be a little too slow for my liking. The box really needs a distro which can offload work to the superb Rpi GPU rather than rely on the weak ARM CPU for everything. Overclocking CPU to 800MHz helps things a fair bit though.

There aren't cases I really like yet available (and in stock) so for now I've gone the the lego option. Here is my effort:

imag0765x.jpg
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have no idea what this is, what it does or what any of those acronyms you just used mean...

..but Lego is cool. Thumbs up.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    TwellySmat wrote:
    but Lego is cool. Thumbs up.
    :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Mine's on order. I think I'm 2 weeks into a 4-5 week delivery window. I'll dig my son's lego out in preparation.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I have no idea what this is, what it does or what any of those acronyms you just used mean...

..but Lego is cool. Thumbs up.
    Think of the Pi as lego computer bits - not very impressive just sitting there, but the fun is in what you can build with itt
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    So you can make virtual buildings and dinosaurs and planes and robots out of it?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    TwellySmat wrote:
    So you can make virtual buildings and dinosaurs and planes and robots out of it?
    Better. I made this to stop the neighbourhood's stray dogs from shi**ing in my garden. And to stop the crackheads from stealing my prize opium poppies.
    terminator-exoskeleton_IlWdu_3342.jpg