Braking graunch

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Quick question on braking please ...

Had my bike for about a year now and covered a couple of thousand miles so far... still on the orig rims and brake pads - neither look worn at all .. they are reasonably lined up and don't appear to be catching the tyre (no wear marks)

I've noticed a potential issue when braking - normally when going down hill and trying to control the speed (yer I know - just let it run!) - I can brake for 20-30 seconds - quite hard if need be - then it starts to graunch/emit a grinding noise - I ease off the brakes and then re-apply and it's fine again - for a short while ...

I know I need to take a careful look at the pads - but can't quite work out whats going on ...
are they getting too hot?
have they picked up some dirt? (if so why don't they grind from the start)

What else could be wrong?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Could be debris in the pads, pick it out with a knife.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • as above debris most likely - take the pads off and pick out - could be slivers of metal from rims too. Or just change the pads - they're a cheap component - 2k miles is around when i change mine
  • slowbike
    thanks both - rode yesterday - but as I was going for a bit of speed I didn't use the brakes much!!

Looks to be a wet weekend so may get a chance to clean the bike down (again!) - I'll get the wheels off, check the pads ... and polish the rims ;) What grease should I use? :D
  • liberal application of GT85 should keep you regular :wink:

If you decide they're a bit knackered and are looking to replace I chopped in my stock pads for a set of these: http://www.koolstop.com/
    don't know what brakes you're running but if you can find the right fit for your bike they're pretty impressive - salmon ones in the wet are especially recommended
  • slowbike
    liberal application of GT85 should keep you regular :wink:
    Won't the WD40 do?
    If you decide they're a bit knackered and are looking to replace I chopped in my stock pads for a set of these: http://www.koolstop.com/
    don't know what brakes you're running but if you can find the right fit for your bike they're pretty impressive - salmon ones in the wet are especially recommended
    Bog standard dual pivot brakes with standard angle adjustable pads ... levers are Shimano 2300 STI - nothing fancy...
  • slowbike
    As I rode in today I thought I'd have a quick look at my brakes - nothing odd I can see there - the left pad is perhaps a little high but isn't touching the tyre ...
    Ran my finger along the pad - a lot of dust on the surface (my finger came back black) - but no sign of anything embedded in either pad ...
    Still I'll aim to give the pads and rim a scrub this weekend ...