Wiggle The Long One 23/06/2012

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
Is anybody else signed up for this? Has anybody done it before?

To put it lightly I'm bricking it - I'm not as fit as I should be this season, due mainly to the weather we've been having.
129 miles is much further than I've ever ridden in one day before, but I'm determined that I'm going to finish it. I figure that if I stick with a group then I should be okay, but it does look difficult to say the least...
I just hope it doesn't rain

Comments

• indysmith
    Nobody? :/
  • el_vino
    el_vino Posts: 64
    I have entered but still debating, I may Chicken out at the last minute or do the shorter one. I did the Evans King of the Downs which was a bit shorter and had less climbing. I had the same idea as you to find a group but I really struggled, every group I found was either faster or slower, stopped for longer at the rest stops than I wished to. I wish the bigger sportives had pacers like road running which allowed people to join groups looking to maintain a certain average speed say 16/18/20 mph etc.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    I'm entered, it doesn't look to bad. The amount of climbing is fairly modest over 129 miles so as long as you pace yourself and eat all the way around you should be fine.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    the description says 3600 m, but the profile chart has about 5300 FEET. that said, the KOTD came in about 1,000 m under what is advertised.
  • indysmith
    Does anyone have any idea what the weather's going to be like? That's the thing that's going to make it or break it for me I think.

El Vino don't be a wimp ;) It's all about the suffering! The pacers idea is a good one - I didn't know they did that in road running.
  • Mate you'll be fine as long as you pace yourself and stick to your eating/ drinking strategy. The problem is with some of these rides, as has been mentioned, is finding a group that rides at the same pace. Something i rarely manage. This will be the furthest I will have ridden in one hit but I've recently bought a small mountain of gels to munch so I should be ok. Managed the king of the downs ok, even managed somehow to get up Yorks hill !! At the moment, I seem to be doing this by myself so if anyone wants some company/pacing, let me know and I'll be happy to join you !!

Cheers
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    this was on my list of 'rides to do' this year but couldn't get the day off work which was a shame. Looks a good tough ride but if weather holds out it will be a great days riding. 129 miles is easily do able for anyone feeling anxious about the distance. you will be amazed at what you can do if you mentally apply yourself. just keep pedalling...

good luck all
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I've just entered the Long One as the Mid Wales Challenge I was supposed to be riding this weekend has been cancelled. Still, 126 miles should set me up nicely for the Marmotte
  • I'm definitely up for this and looking forward to it. Does anyone know what the actual climbing is? I've seen 3.5km and 7000ft (1.6km) mentioned separately!