Is it worthwhile upgrading an old bike?

zoglug
zoglug Posts: 212
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hey everyone, just facing a little bit of a dilema. I currently have a 2008 or 2009 Specialized Allez (the all black one) which i have pretty much run into the ground. It has full sora, the only upgrade i did was a pair of planet x model c wheels. The frame is still in very good condition having only ever been dropped once, but the running gear is beginning to strain. There are so many creeks when i cycle it is unbelievable. It definately need a new headset, more than likely a BB, the chainset & rear cassette are wearing down, so basically i am looking at a new groupset.

The bike is used to commute to work each day (15 mile round trip) and i get out most weekends. I love the geometry of the bike, but i just dont know if it is worthwhile spending a few hundred quid sorting it out, or if i should just save up more money, buy a new bike and scrap the lovable Allez.

Cheers
iamwhatiam.gif

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd just replace the bits that actually wear out. Cheaply, via Ebay or the For Sale section here if possible.
    Chain, cassette, chainrings, BB, headset, wheel bearings, brake blocks, possibly new cables all round, and retape the bars. (worth checking the thickness of your rims before doing the wheel bearings)
    Then carry on commuting on it while you save up for a new bike.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I have a hard time thinking of a 2008 or 2009 bike as 'old'. One of my bikes, my expedition tourer which doubles as my rainy day/winter bike is 13 years old and has well over 80,000 miles on it. I just repair and replace as I go and i reckon I'll get many more years and thousands of miles on it.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    it doesn't sound that horrendous... the headset probably can be rescued with a clean and regrease and adjusting

chain and cassettes do wear - ebay or chain reaction for inexpensive - but I bet the chainset rings are ok for a while yet

creaking can be the stem bolts, or the seat post (seat post clamp and/or saddle rails clamp)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    As has already been said. Just upgrade/replace what's worn via ebay and sales items...a bit of cleaning, re-greasing & tightening up can also work wonders.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Definitely don't waste the money on upgrades - throw that old thing in the skip and move on.
    Buy this http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/ ... starmacsl4
    It's got the same geometry as your old Allez, but a crabon frame (with mono-cock technology!) and much much better bombproof parts. This is obviously a budget option, but if you're feeling spendy there is also a super magic "Venge" designed by malcolm mclaren with magic gears that change themselves when you press a button (similar to their non-magic counterparts, except that you have to charge these ones up).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @ Hoopdriver; that's a good point!

My best / only bike is 4 years old now, and I still regard it as nearly new. OK, I don't commute on it, but it's ridden all year round, and so far all I've had to replace is the chain (twice) and the back tyre's on it's last legs now

I am pathological about identifying and silencing any squeaks and rattles though, so just about everything has been stripped, cleaned and regreased at some point.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just replaced the headset bearing on one of my favourite bikes and it feels like new again. It rides beautifully all year round, keeps up with the best and has bags of life left in it. Then again, given that it was built in 1989 I figure that it probably just counts as 'run in'.
  • zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    Cheers guys! I guess ill just look to try replace/upgrade things as i go. I think a headset is most definately required, it creaks as i turn the handle bars left a right, with no pressure on them, and i think ill need a new BB, so it'll probably be a trip to the LBS for those two jobs to be done!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    keef66 wrote:
    @ Hoopdriver; that's a good point!

My best / only bike is 4 years old now, and I still regard it as nearly new. OK, I don't commute on it, but it's ridden all year round, and so far all I've had to replace is the chain (twice) and the back tyre's on it's last legs now

I am pathological about identifying and silencing any squeaks and rattles though, so just about everything has been stripped, cleaned and regreased at some point.
    I do exactly the same. I hate squeaks and rattles...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    It's not upgrading, it's just maintenance. As others have said, bikes last far longer than 3 or 4 years. The key is to replace worn parts early to avoid wearing other parts (and spread the expense).
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Ultimately it's up to you what to do with your "old" bike but giving it a good overhaul is an excellent way of improving your understanding of how the bike works. You may well have this knowledge already but it is a very worthwhile exercise anyway, bordering on therapeutic, great feeling when you return your bike to silent running mode again. I stripped my Allez down after the Etape Caledonia this year when it got quite wet and dirty, it looks like new now and purrs along beautifully, also treated it to a new set of Jagwire cables which made a noticeable difference to gear changing.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    How often have you serviced the bike? With regular maintenance your bike should be nowhere near 'old'.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Old? Old? My rainy day/winter trainer/commuter is 30 years old with modern components. It's a superb bike and will last many more years of abuse.

Incidentally, despite mudguards and its age, it has zero rattles, creaks or squeaks. Unlike my 2011 "best" bike.