Idiots on the road...!!!

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Out for a training run on Saturday evening near Reading - on the homeward stretch going around 22-23mph and I rounded a long sweeping corner to see 8 or so youths (maybe early twenties at a guess) on a variety of MTBs coming the other way. Suddenly one of them swerves onto my side of the road and heads straight for me! As I change my line, he follows suit on a mission to collide or force me off. Had to slam on the brakes and swerve severely to avoid a nasty mess.

What the f*#$ is wrong with people these days?!?!?

And they all thought it was really funny as they continued on their way.

My anger didnt really build until after they had passed and both parties continued but the further I got away, the more annoyed I was - I guess at the time I wasnt thinking about anger, just trying to avoid a collision. For a while, I wished I had kicked him off his bike, but probably wouldnt have been worth it. Still annoyed but calmed down by the time I got home.

Is this just par for the course with stupid people these days?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Frame pump as jousting pole? :wink:

There are just too many idiots out there with no concept of actions, consequences and responsibilities.

Strangely enough, these are the same people that demand "respect". :evil:
    Oh, and know their "rights".

A right and no witnesses is all they'd understand.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited June 2012
    Just need to Keep Calm and carry on. If you reacted they would claim you started it - these sh@ts always know how to work the system.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You woz in da way bruv! Innit.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Kno*head showing off to his little friends, think yourself lucky, in a couple of years he'll be doing the same thing in a Corsa with an exhaust you can hear from Saturn.
  • robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    last year I was dropping into Forge Valley, from the Ayton end. The bottom of the hill is prone to flooding, and that day after heavy rain, there was deep water on both sides and a dryish strip about 3 feet wide in the middle of the road. Messing about here were 3 youths who saw me coming and spread across this strip, linking arms. What they forgot was that this dry strip was on both sides of the centre line. As I approached, the centre one bottled it and jumped into the water on my side of the road, dragging the lad on my side of the road with him. His other 'friend' stepped away towards the wall on the far side of the road, into the water, and straight into the path of the 4x4 he had not seen coming the other way. Squeal of tyres, scream of terror, plumes of water, one very angry 4x4 driver and one very scared lad. Didn't see what happened next as the road was clear, and I was not hanging around to see.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    "What doesn't destroy us makes us stronger" - it is only by not reacting that we manage to prove the idiots ARE idiots!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Just need to Keep Calm and carry on.

Thats my motto, but there was a moment when I wished I had taken a more 'pro-active' approach... That moment soon passed though. Just glad it doesnt happen every day!
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    As davisee has said above, they have absoltely no comprehension about the consequences of their actions.

I was recently descending a steep windy hill at a reasonable speed and a little sh*t walking with his mate stepped out strait in front on me laughing, i swerved out into the oncoming trafficand the car behind me slammed his brakes on as he didnt know why i swerved. Thankfully there was a break in the traffic on theother side and i was fine and the sh*ts both legged it laughing but it could well have ended in me being hit head on by a car or a car hitting them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Just ride straight at him, you've probably got better bike handling skills and he would have been the one to fall off which would have been far more amusing to his mates.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    daviesee wrote:
    Frame pump as jousting pole? :wink:

There are just too many idiots out there with no concept of actions, consequences and responsibilities.

Strangely enough, these are the same people that demand "respect". :evil:
    Oh, and know their "rights".

A right and no witnesses is all they'd understand.

Like wot he sez. Also they are the very people who get serious cyclists a bad name. :evil:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.