ebay scammed

big_barker
big_barker Posts: 526
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Hi iam after a bit of advice I seen a boardman team hybrid on ebay and I asked if he would do a buy it now price he said yes if I paid by bank transfer and as soon as I paid he would remove the advert this all happened sat/sun morning. When I had been emailing him he responded pretty much straight away all the time till I transfered the money now the bike is still up on ebay and he isent answering any emails. His name is jamie finnegan from Manchester. Here is a link to the bike http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123 does anyone no away forward for me thanks

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1. Don't EVER pay by bank transfer.

2. Win the auction (or get a mate to do it so it's under a different username), offer to pay by cash to save him the paypal fees, then ask for his address to collect the bike and give him the cash.... I don't know what the next step is....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You've been done. At least PayPal has some protection.

I'd contact ebay, at least you might get that ad removed.
  • big_barker
    big_barker Posts: 526
    I contacted ebay last nite there is nothing they can do
  • jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    Get onto your bank asap and see what they can do.

Good luck!
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I think the bank can reclaim the transfer within a set time, possibly 48 hours (might be 24 or less though).
    Contact your bank immediately.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    big barker wrote:
    I contacted ebay last nite there is nothing they can be arsed to do
    FTFU. Sadly, eBay is happy to allow scammers to trade.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ToeKnee wrote:
    big barker wrote:

To be fair though, in this case this is nothing to do with Ebay. The OP saw the Ebay ad but then arranged a private trade outside of Ebay. The correct approach would have been to agree with the seller to put a BIN on at a certain time so that the buyer could nab it there and then - the risk there is only to the purchaser that someone else might nip in and take advantage but that's unlikely and no skin off the sellers nose either way.

I think the "buy and pay by cash in person" option might be the best approach. Possibly involving a handover of a deposit (a worthwhile sacrifice) followed by a one way test ride and a couple of heavy friends as backup.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Rolf F wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    big barker wrote:

To be fair though, in this case this is nothing to do with Ebay. The OP saw the Ebay ad and then arranged a private trade outside of Ebay.

I think the "buy and pay by cash in person" option might be the best approach. Possibly involving a handover of a deposit (a worthwhile sacrifice) followed by a one way test ride and a couple of heavy friends as backup.
    The scammers use eBay to snare their victim and for that reason I feel eBay could and should do more. The victim here can't even give feedback to prevent others being targetted. The scammer is being protected by eBay.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    big barker wrote:

To be fair though, in this case this is nothing to do with Ebay. The OP saw the Ebay ad and then arranged a private trade outside of Ebay.

The scammers use eBay to snare their victim and for that reason I feel eBay could and should do more. The victim here can't even give feedback to prevent others being targetted. The scammer is being protected by eBay.
    What should ebay do, send staff to vet each seller personally?

What ebay do to protect the buyer is to insist on completion within ebay - just look on this forum, or all over the net, for sellers complaining how ebay always sides with the buyer and refunds paypal purchases.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ToeKnee wrote:

Look at it from Ebays perspective. An Ebay member with 100% positive feedback lists a bicycle for sale. He removes the auction after no bids and then relists it.
    Another Ebay member then claims that he has bought the bike but there is no trace of this on Ebay.

Now, there is no doubt a trail between the buyer and seller via the Bank transfer but of course that proves nothing in terms of what that transfer was for (though there maybe an email trail through Ebay if the buyer is lucky) - but as bompington said, Ebay have systems in place to protect the purchaser and it isn't difficult to follow them and it makes things a whole lot easier.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Setup a new ebay account, bid £10000 and then dont pay
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    tincaman wrote:
    Setup a new ebay account, bid £10000 and then dont pay
    Then the 'scammer' has a few hundred quid, minus a few quid in lost listing fees, I'm sure he'll be gutted....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lockstock666
    lockstock666 Posts: 131
    If you win the auction, do you get to see a registered address?

I.e it says 'sent payment to: joe bloggs, 100 anystreet, etc.
  • NameTaken
    NameTaken Posts: 45
    You used to be able to see the address even if you were just a bidder

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ebayadvsearch ... findtype=9

If that doesn't work, go to the ebay main search and click advanced search (top right)
    then look on the left hand side bottom section 'members' find contact info.

I'd do that from a fake account myself.

You could try ringing his local police station and having a word