Reverb length from collar

mattjevans
mattjevans Posts: 253
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
can someone tell me the length of a reverb from bottom of the silver collar part to the rails? I have been hunting but can't find this dimension. Either for a 100 or for a 125.

I don't run a particularly long seat post and trying to figure out if I can make this work and if so which drop height

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    From the centre of the seat rail to the collar bottom, mine is 190mm, Fully down collar bottom to seat rail centre 65mm
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Mines 185mm from collar bottom to rails. I have the 125mm version
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    mattjevans wrote:
    can someone tell me the length of a reverb from bottom of the silver collar part to the rails? I have been hunting but can't find this dimension. Either for a 100 or for a 125.

I don't run a particularly long seat post and trying to figure out if I can make this work and if so which drop height
    I've talked to a few people who are new to dropper posts who misunderstand the idea, so please humour me here.
    Why do you run such a short seatpost? And why do you want the length of the upper part of the post?
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans wrote:

I've talked to a few people who are new to dropper posts who misunderstand the idea, so please humour me here.
    Why do you run such a short seatpost? And why do you want the length of the upper part of the post?

I run a post at 20cm because that is what fits me and suits my body and riding style. I could go to a smaller frame and have more post but I don't want a lower front end and less reach.

I want to know the length of the upper part to assess if I could use it. Obviously in theory since the height is variable you could use it even if your "normal" seatpost length was 150mm, and simply not raise it to its full height every time, but from what I have read around nobody really thinks this is a good idea. So my view is that if the fully extended length from seat collar bottom to rails is longer than my "normal" seatpost length, I couldn't do a reverb.

From the sounds of it, I could run a 125mm drop Reverb, just, and a 100mm drop should be fine.

Cheers
  • YeehaaMcgee
    mattjevans, that's ok, I was just worried you might be falling into a common misunderstanding.
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans, that's ok, I was just worried you might be falling into a common misunderstanding.

thanks - out of interest, what is the misunderstanding?
  • mattjevans
    thanks all for posting the info
  • YeehaaMcgee
    mattjevans wrote:

A number of minor things. Some people try and set the post's lowest position to where they'd like it, and then get confused because it extends too far, for example, rather than setting the fully extended post properly, and just dropping it!
    that kind of thing.
  • mattjevans
    mattjevans wrote:

A number of minor things. Some people try and set the post's lowest position to where they'd like it, and then get confused because it extends too far, for example, rather than setting the fully extended post properly, and just dropping it!
    that kind of thing.

sounds more like an ejector seat set up that way...
  • mattjevans
    forgotrafe wrote:
    125 should be fine for you too. HiBike doing them for about £180 delivered!

Sadly (as it would be my preference) I think 125mm would be too marginal to make sense. I'd only have 10mm from bottom of collar to seat clamp top. At the moment I have a saddle (Selle Italia X1) that has a low rise from rails to saddle top. If I change saddle to something that has greater rail to top distance, I'd need to drop the post height and that wouldn't be possible with the 125mm version.
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    I only have about 15mm sticking out. 100mm might have given more flexibility and more than adequate drop, just couldn't argue with the HiBike price for the 125mm.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It really does sound like the frame is too big, or has very retro geometry though. hmm.
  • mattjevans
    It really does sound like the frame is too big, or has very retro geometry though. hmm.

no. neither of those. hmm
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What's the frame. Virtually all modern MTBs have more seatpost than that sticking out.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Remember that you dont have to fully extend the reverb. The fully compressed height(bottom of collar to rails) will be the same with the 100 and 125mm version. If you currently have to have your post so low in the frame that you are looking at rail to top distances for saddles, your frame sounds too big and a dropper post will not help here at all!
  • mattjevans
    leaflite wrote:
    Remember that you dont have to fully extend the reverb. The fully compressed height(bottom of collar to rails) will be the same with the 100 and 125mm version. If you currently have to have your post so low in the frame that you are looking at rail to top distances for saddles, your frame sounds too big and a dropper post will not help here at all!

Fully compressed height wasn't my concern.
  • leaflite
    mattjevans wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

Fully compressed height wasn't my concern.

What was then?

Your OP asks what the bottom of the silver collar to the rails height is. I am telling you that it is the same for the 100 and the 125 version.
  • mattjevans
    Fully extended length. Which is what the answers came back with
  • leaflite
    mattjevans wrote:
    Fully extended length. Which is what the answers came back with

Oh, right

I misunderstood :oops: