Converting to 1x10 advice on parts please!

coyote101
coyote101 Posts: 125
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm converting to 1 x 10 and would appreciate some advice on whether I'm going for the right kind of parts. I want to be able to ride trail centres as well as downhill so need a fairly easy pedalling gear ratio. These are the parts I'm considering:

Chain ring E-13 g-ring 34 teeth
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Basket.aspx

E-13 SS and chain ring guide
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50752

Shimano Deore 10 speed shifter

HG62 10 Speed MTB Cassette 36Teeth
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=69268

And then the rear mech Im stuck! I'm thinking SLX or Deore, but do I need to get one with cage size medium for this set up?

Any advice welcome on this equipment and how well it will get me up/down hills!

Thanks. J

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    First off what mounting are you going for? BB or ISCG (05/not 05).

Also why do you want to go single ring?
  • coyote101
    I want to go single ring because I ride more downhills now than trails and the chain keeps coming off. Also like the simplicity of it.

I'm not sure what is meant by BB or ISCG to be honest!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just going 1x9 would save you a fortune. Why the need for 10? 32/34 would give you enough spread for most trails.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Double and bash with a stinger would work just as well tbh
  • cooldad
    Yup, crazy to change everything because the chain comes off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    Just going 1x9 would save you a fortune. Why the need for 10? 32/34 would give you enough spread for most trails.
    I'd quite like 1x10, I have a 36t specific chain guide, so the extra big cassette would be welcome. Though 1x9 would be cheaper in the case of the OP, as all he would really need is a chain guide and a chainring.

As for the choices there, that chain guide looks ok. If you don't find yourself hitting your chainring much, you could get away with something like a superstar plasma without a bash, it would be lighter, and cheaper.

Also, ISCG means the mounting on the frame, it's a special tab for chain devices. There are two types, ISCG OLD and ISCG 05, you need to know which type your frame has. If it has neither, you get a BB (bottom bracket) mount guide.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    ilovedirt wrote:
    As for the choices there, that chain guide looks ok. If you don't find yourself hitting your chainring much, you could get away with something like a superstar plasma without a bash, it would be lighter, and cheaper.

Also, ISCG means the mounting on the frame, it's a special tab for chain devices. There are two types, ISCG OLD and ISCG 05, you need to know which type your frame has. If it has neither, you get a BB (bottom bracket) mount guide.

Thats all I did, 1x9 is plenty spread for downhill and trail centres.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Double and bash with a stinger would work just as well tbh

+1. Also you'll be limiting your bike to your local trails & DH. What if you want to take your bike somewhere with steeper/longer/more technical climbs?..it'll be as useful as a chocolate teapot :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • coyote101
    Thanks fellas, double and bash idea looks like a goodun. I snapped the cage of the rear mech last week, does this mean I will need a complete new rear mech?

I have a Lapierre Spicy 316 2011 model - I presume its the 05 mount? Anyone know?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Running 1 x 9 (35t with 11 - 34 cassette) on one of my bikes and on anything other than really long / steep hills it is great.
    On a couple of rides, on the really long/steep climbs where I was off and pushing, I was going faster than people spinning away in bottom gear anyway.
    So simple and no faff.

To add though, for trail centres and rides up to say 20mile I reckon it's fine. But for all day slogs, i'd stick with the other bike with 2 x 10 for the bail out / spinny options.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Double & bash with a stinger is ok, I had that set up on my Reign X for a while but it's just not as good as a single ring with a proper chain device. The double set up used to drop the chain on to the granny when things got really rough. An E13 or even Superstar Plasma when set up properly with a proper single chain ring will very rarely drop the chain.
    Took a while to get used to it but riding XC with 1x9 is ok except for really long climbs
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah, I'm running 1x9 with a 36t and 11-34 cassette, it's fine for everything but steep/slippy natural climbs. There's very rarely anything that I can't pedal up at a trail centre.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've got 1x10 on my bike and I like it. Was running 1x9 until enough wore out to justify the overhaul. Never had a problem where the gears stopped my climbing a hill, my fitness always failed me first.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    coyote101 wrote:
    Thanks fellas, double and bash idea looks like a goodun. I snapped the cage of the rear mech last week, does this mean I will need a complete new rear mech?

I have a Lapierre Spicy 316 2011 model - I presume its the 05 mount? Anyone know?

If you snapped the cage then yes you need a new mech. It will still be cheaper to go the 1 or 2 x9 route since you dont need new chain, shifters etc.

As far as I can see the Spicy has ISCG 05 tabs (If you flip your bike over and look at the bottom bracket shell (the bit the crank axle goes through) it should have three little lumps coming out of it with holes in - this is where you attach the chain guide.

I run a 2x9 setup with an E13 twin ring chain device - havent lost the chain since I started using it - works a treat and keeps me a good spread of gears for all riding.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    From a quick scan down there, all you guys that have recommended single-ring set-ups have more than only that bike.

If you take a 1x9/10 bike anywhere near any mountains you are going to be struggling to say the least. Was just warning the OP that maybe an Alpine or Scottish holiday opportunity might come up sometime in the future and he'd regret losing that 22t ring

(btw I have (one, will have) two 1x9 bikes but they ain't for going up :wink: )
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    From a quick scan down there, all you guys that have recommended single-ring set-ups have more than only that bike.

If you take a 1x9/10 bike anywhere near any mountains you are going to be struggling to say the least. Was just warning the OP that maybe an Alpine or Scottish holiday opportunity might come up sometime in the future and he'd regret losing that 22t ring

(btw I have (one, will have) two 1x9 bikes but they ain't for going up :wink: )
    Both my bikes are 1x9, one of which I use for XC, and for the most part, it's fine.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • coyote101
    coyote101 wrote:

If you snapped the cage then yes you need a new mech. It will still be cheaper to go the 1 or 2 x9 route since you dont need new chain, shifters etc.

As far as I can see the Spicy has ISCG 05 tabs (If you flip your bike over and look at the bottom bracket shell (the bit the crank axle goes through) it should have three little lumps coming out of it with holes in - this is where you attach the chain guide.

I run a 2x9 setup with an E13 twin ring chain device - havent lost the chain since I started using it - works a treat and keeps me a good spread of gears for all riding.

Thanks for that, thats a big help, a couple more questions:

1) Presume I would need a new front mech - there seem to be quite a few mounts available - conventional, direct, swing etc - how do I know which one to get?

2) Would this chainset work for either 1x9 OR 1x10? Some of them say 1x10 but I presume for the front rings they will all be compatible with either 9 or 10 at the back?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47593

Thanks!
  • cooldad
    JUst take the big ring off, fit a bash if you want one, set the high limit screw so the mech doesn't move to where the big ring was, job done.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • coyote101
    cooldad wrote:
    JUst take the big ring off, fit a bash if you want one, set the high limit screw so the mech doesn't move to where the big ring was, job done.

But I presume I wouldn't be able to go as fast in top gear as if I fitted a custom double set?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Depends on the ring size. If current one isn't big enough, ie something like a 32t, fit a 36.