USEless Design

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
The bike I bought the other week has a USE Pave seatpost on it, the bolt on the top contains a clamp in 3 sections to adjust the saddle pitch and position.

What is the point of a seatpost design that needs at least 3 hands to operate it effectively? What's wrong with the "two plates and a bolt" design everybody else uses (as much of a pain as that was...)?

Sorry, felt the need to vent there.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    This is an ideal fondling opportunity. Get a pretty assistant to hold 2 of the bolts, while you adjust the other AND YOU STILL HAVE A FREE HAND. Tell her (or him :shock: ) the saddle costs £400 and can't be dropped and you have a captive audience for your fondling.

or

stick it in the classifieds. People love the USE stuff regardless of the poor design.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I've had 2 USE items and both were fine initially but when it came to later adjust them they failed and their daft design became obvious.
    Ring-go-start headset. Used a tiny bolt to take up the last slack in the headset/stem - fine when everything nice and clean etc but later when I came to make a change (remove spacers I think) the stupid tiny allen head bolt (something like a 2 or 3mm) would not allow any torque to be applied before either it rounded or sheared (can't remember which)
    USEless.

Alien seatclamp, the original 2-bolt design.
    Again, when everything new and clean it was fine, very minimal and light but when the threads have some dirt on them clean the ability to apply a decent amount of torque to the bolts is removed due the tiny size and they sheared off.
    They did release a revised version with a single bigger bolt - belatedly, my original is still in a box in the garage gathering dust.

Nice ideas but in the realk world they just didn't work.