Tour of Black Mountains 2012

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
Anyone know is this running, is it a single day event or combined entry with IronMounatin sportive? Avaialble website info still refers to 2011 entry or just a 2010 paper copy entry.....and it` s just a month away :(

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    am considering it as well--but looks like only 50 or so entrants so wondering whether it makes sense to go, as huge trek for me. you have to click on sportives to get to the 2012 info.

do those look like seriously hard time bands? bronze is 17 mph for the 63 miler.

http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling ... spx?id=141
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It's a great ride - I did it last year and I seriously doubt I achieved 17 mph. There's two big climbs - one in the Vale of Eywas, with a rollercoaster down to Hay on Wye. The second (folks called it The Tumble) was a proper biggun in blazing heat up to the dizzying heights of the Heads of the Valleys. (Beaufort, Bleanavon and the like).

(rummages through old Garmin data ... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98124812 )

No idea how many did last year, 300 - 500 or so? As an aside I signed up for a local 10K over Easter, only 50 had signed up and it was tipping it down on the morning of the race. I went along anyway - to support a local event as much as anything - and there were hordes of folk queuing in the rain to get entry on the day. I wouldn't worry about numbers and I wouldn't worry about speeds.

Oooh I wonder if Mrs C will let me give me a pass for this one :D
  • bikergirl17
    wow -- that's 1000 more metres than listed! Are the climbs primarily long or are they very steep? Ideally if I go out there would like to do 2+ days of cycling but those 60 miles look pretty serious based on your garmin route!
  • JamesB
    Thanks for links :) I`ve ridden the 120 TOBM in previous years and it is a really good ride---although a tad costly to enter with added in parking charges----reckon though, given our glorious British summer wait awhile to see how weather pans out and even possibly enter on the day, as it is within an hours drive of me :)

But if route similar to 2010 one big climbs include, Gospel Pass from Llanthony ---long steady + steep section near top going onto open moor, Mynyydd Illtud after Brecon, Devils elbow (road over to Ystrdafellte) --20% thereabouts stretch, Crai, climbs on reservoir road Merthyr to Talybont on usk, final climb over Llangyndir mountain --consistently hard climb 8% avg thereabouts first 2 miles :)
  • bikergirl17
    great info, thanks. as out of towner, have to decide much earlier as will need to come up night before.

asking about steepness as have wheel issue. one set is great for climbing, but dangerous on descents; the other is the reverse. i am leaning towards the latter, but am concerned as not sure I can get up long 20% grades on them; even 15% is more work than it should be (sounds silly but with slow to spin up wheels and hard gearing more likely i tip over).
  • JamesB
    asking about steepness as have wheel issue. one set is great for climbing, but dangerous on descents; the other is the reverse. i am leaning towards the latter, but am concerned as not sure I can get up long 20% grades on them; even 15% is more work than it should be (sounds silly but with slow to spin up wheels and hard gearing more likely i tip over).

try easier gearing maybe then :)

Can`t work out the 60 mile route as seems to be same as the 100 on their maps BUT I would err on side of safer wheels for descent; Gospel Pass descent has narrow steep sections, cattle grids, sharp bends; if 60 miles goes to Talybont Reservoirs road descent to Cwm Cadlan has a very steep sharp hairpin and further difficult bends lower down in trees.

Topic of weight wheels v climbing has been done to death on varied forums, but personally I find little difference in climbing speed between wheels I ride at 1400 gm / pr v 1900gm / pr, except former feel so much nicer and responsive :)

worth taking a look at http://www.training4cyclists.com/how-mu ... lpe-dhuez/
    AND the series of comments on the article--weight uphill matters BUT where weight is on bike may not be significant
  • bikergirl17
    i could spend hours (off topic) on wheel weight. there is a noticable difference (for me, as a lighter female on 650c) on my 1290g vs 1380g wheels climbing. downhill, however, the 1290 hit a pebble the wrong way and skid out of control. used them on king of the downs and was not a happy camper in the kent descents even at 20 mph.

i have actually become *that person* who assesses bottle cage weights to see where i can jettison some grams (well, other than on myself, of course, because that would be too easy).

anyhow, this ride sounds awesome and looking to sign up.
  • JamesB
    Unexpected but very welcome sunshine has swayed me and signed up today for the 120 mile route :):):) Just hope waether on day is as nice as it was here today---sunny, not hot and light breeze !!!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    By an astonishing coincidence, I had planned to do the exact route of this sportive on the same day without realising that this event existed! Similarly with the Iron Mountain one the day before! I've already booked the B&B, so looks like I'll just have to tag along.
  • bikergirl17
    yup, going to do both days too. but sticking with the shorter versions. it looks like there are two different sportives that saturday -- i assume the major one is the iron mt, right?

is anyone coming up from around the greater london area?
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Promised myself I'd do this for years, hopefully this year I'll keep my promise.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    After a post Dragon Ride curry and booze night, I apparently agreed to do this one and my mate has booked me on it.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Lexman17
    Lexman17 Posts: 11
    Shhhhhhhh! Keep it a secret, it's brilliant!

I did this last year as my third ever sportive, I also did the Iron Mountain one the day before but didn't think the route was so good but that could be cos it was on my regular roads around Monmouth. If you're new to this part of the world you will find all the scenery breathtaking. All the time.

The Black Mountain route features awesome scenery and climbs that I don't care what anyone says surely compare with some of the shorter European climbs. If you can zip up to the top of Gospel Pass and Llangynidir Mountain without drawing breath then you probably have escaped from a pro peloton.

If this sportive was the same route and scenery but closer to a major city it would be attended by about 1,000 people. Thank god it's not.

Re the timing bands, the guy on the registration last year told me the guy who sets it applies near pro like standards so don't expect to get a gold unless you are a Schleck brother.

Actually, as most of my climbing is on routes like this I would like some advice. I realise I already have the easiest climbing set up known to man, short of a triple, a 50/34 and a ten speed 12-28 cassette on it (Shimano Ultegra Di2), but I was just wondering if putting an even lower small chainring on (do they do one?) would make the climbs that tiny bit less hard.

cheers
    Alex
  • bikergirl17
    seriously on setting those time bands. as i quipped to a friend, i will establish the tin band.

the background is helpful; based on your experience, is it better to just do the 100 miler on the second day? i was planning on doing the two shorter (50/63 mile) routes to work on ability to recover.

do you see a real difference from a 12-27 to a 12-28? I am wondering if it is really worth the 60g extra to swap out the durace for ultegra for marginal gear inches. i am on a standard (53/39).
  • JamesB
    an even lower small chainring on (do they do one?)

I think PMP do a 33t inner...........but hard to find I think (years ago got a Campy one)
    is it better to just do the 100 miler on the second day

the 100 mile route takes in most best scenery and best climbs including Llangyndir mountain, which after 80 miles (the 100 mie point for 120 ride) is actually very very hard; it is a near continuous 8% type gradient

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... inID=10394

levels off a bit 3/4 way up though :) IF it is hot it is .........exhausting

A compact with 29T is very useful :):) IMO

I personally wouldn`t worry about 60 gm for a lower gear setup, you could always compensate by emtying one waterbottle at base climb ??
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    seriously on setting those time bands. as i quipped to a friend, i will establish the tin band.

the background is helpful; based on your experience, is it better to just do the 100 miler on the second day? i was planning on doing the two shorter (50/63 mile) routes to work on ability to recover.

do you see a real difference from a 12-27 to a 12-28? I am wondering if it is really worth the 60g extra to swap out the durace for ultegra for marginal gear inches. i am on a standard (53/39).

I have a compact with 12-27 on the back and a 53x39 with an 11-28. The 39 x 28 is slightly harder to push than a 34 x 27.

I've not done this sportive before and I'm sure your legs work better than mine, but I'd err on the side of caution and have a 28t on the back end.

I'm wondering which bike to use now - got a few weeks to make a decision.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • bikergirl17
    i actually don't have the 28 -- am considering whether to switch over. the 60g is huge to me, as my new wheels are +90g heavier and killing me on climbs (I weigh 50 kg so it matters).

also i am on 650c wheels -- so gear inch wise, both your set ups are easier than mine. am excited for the new 52/38 set up, as that may be the (very expensive) answer.

and thanks for the preview ... the 100 miler sounds awesome. i just don't think i can do that and the 50 the prior day. i figure if i am schlepping across the country, i should do both!
  • JamesB
    i just don't think i can do that and the 50 the prior day. i figure if i am schlepping across the country, i should do both!

do both :) regard the 50 miler as a lightish training ride.

You are nearly 30 kg lighter than me :(:( too btw !!!, so that`s why 60 gm matters not a jot in my books ! + I believe in carrying all bits and pieces needed which makes for a 700gm + saddlepack, + 2 bottles liquid another 1.5 kg and I soon wonder why I bother with a 8kg Ti bike at all :(
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I'm in if the weathers good.
    Still not a lot of entries though, I guess they're all waiting on the weather like me !
    Any idea how many did the long and medium routes last year ?
    Be nice to have some company now again, if it's only circa 400 to 500 they'll disperse pretty quick over 120 miles.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Lexman17
    Lexman17 Posts: 11
    I did the 50 mile one day and the 60 mile the next, or was it the other way round. Anyhow, I'm 40 ish, in reasonably good shape (half marathons and weekly circuits etc) but last year was new to cycling. The Iron Mountain sportive 50 mile route was pretty leisurely and the Black Mountains day was much more full on owing to the climbs. I would say that to sign up for the 100 mile plus routes on the Black Mountains day you have to be a reasonably serious cyclist and in pretty good shape by anyone's standards. The climb up to the top of the Gospel pass is fairly tough, especially the last 100 metres (plenty walk it) and as noted previously the climb up Llangyndr Mountain is sustained (about 40 mins if I recall rightly) and it was pretty hot last year. I take my hat off to the people doing the 120 mile route. If the weather is kind, it'll be a great event...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I've just entered this as my first sportive (the 101 mile route, wimped out of going for the 120 miler). It seems odd paying to ride around the roads I regularly ride but felt I was more likely to do the distance on something I've paid for and it's been a long time since I last rode more than about 80 miles. I know I can ride Gospel as I've done it recently and the same with Llangynidr but Llangynidr after 80 miles is a bit of a worry using a standard chainset and 12-27 cassette!!
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    I've signed on for the 100 Iron Mountain on Sat and the 120 Tour of the Black Mountain on Sunday. 7000m climbing over the weekend apparently. I've never ridden up a 'mountain' before and the mate I'm riding with has just got back from a week in the Alps. If you see me crying on the road side please say Hi! :D:cry::D
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    woody1545 wrote:
    I've signed on for the 100 Iron Mountain on Sat and the 120 Tour of the Black Mountain on Sunday. 7000m climbing over the weekend apparently. I've never ridden up a 'mountain' before and the mate I'm riding with has just got back from a week in the Alps. If you see me crying on the road side please say Hi! :D:cry::D

Did both days this last year as prep for a RAID Alpine trip , Saturday was brilliant and hammered it all the way round - we had a couple of pros riding with us for the first 50 miles or so from the crits the night before, which was pretty cool.

Sunday not so quick :lol: but eventually got round and enjoyed it all tbh :D Would be doing it again this year if wasn't away elsewhere for the weekend.

Good luck , hope the weather is good , forecast doesn't look too ominous so far.
  • JamesB
    Forecast looks considering this summer :) Reckon there will be a fair amount surface water / gravel on climb up to Gospel from Llanthony though
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    pantsani wrote:
    woody1545 wrote:

Did both days this last year as prep for a RAID Alpine trip , Saturday was brilliant and hammered it all the way round - we had a couple of pros riding with us for the first 50 miles or so from the crits the night before, which was pretty cool.

Sunday not so quick :lol: but eventually got round and enjoyed it all tbh :D Would be doing it again this year if wasn't away elsewhere for the weekend.

Good luck , hope the weather is good , forecast doesn't look too ominous so far.

Might well get a few pros out again this year, they come down on the Friday for the circuit series and stay down. 17.5mph average for the silver in my category - think I'll be getting bronze!