are the rich guys having more fun?

13»

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    The older I get, the more responsibilities/work/money I have, the less time I have to ride. Conversely the more time I spend sat at a desk the more bike bits I end up convincing myself I need to buy.

I'm gradually working towards being an Audi driver bouncing my Five around the carpark I think.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'm becoming this person... I've an Ellsworth Moment collecting dust in the shed... my excuse is that since moving to Lincolnshire I've lost much of the will to ride as everything worth while is hours of driving away. My mountain biking experience is becoming vicarious, through pinkbiking and upgrading things I'll rarely use... Skills are going down fast and when I do get out, I rock up on a rare boutique bike and keep puncturing or falling off. I must look a right sod!

It wasn't always this way :(
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Skills are going down fast and when I do get out, I rock up on a rare boutique bike and keep puncturing or falling off. I must look a right sod!

It wasn't always this way :(
    are you sure about that :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

More recently I rode with a mate and his GF - she is also a friend but less so - she was a power house up hill but anything technical had her walking, she was slow, she didn't exactly complain but my otherwise very fit, capable ride buddy became this guy who hangs at the back and rides slow to check his GF is alright - who can be f*cking arsed with that!

My girlfriend won't go mountain biking with me because I won't do this.

I am happy with this arrangement.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Torres wrote:
    The people having the most fun are the ones who don't have to ride with their girlfriends. That looks like a sure fire method of destroying the joy of mountain biking for one or both parties involved.

I quite like riding with the ball and chain; she's got a gung-ho attitude and seems quite happy to hit anything that crops up infront of her. She has fun, I have fun, everyone wins. :D

The arguments start in the workshop though. :wink:

The exception that proves the rule. I rode in the Alps with some mates and one of their girlfriends came along - she tackled some pretty tricky stuff, took a few spills but got on with it and as she is a good friend of mine too I was happy to have her there. Even though in the grand scheme of things she was slow.

More recently I rode with a mate and his GF - she is also a friend but less so - she was a power house up hill but anything technical had her walking, she was slow, she didn't exactly complain but my otherwise very fit, capable ride buddy became this guy who hangs at the back and rides slow to check his GF is alright - who can be f*cking arsed with that!

And yes - I am single!

I certainly like to think that Notax and I both enjoy the MTBing - much like Torres says :?

paul.skibum - your mates problem is keeping on checking on his OH - after many, many trails walking over difficult bits at the back by myself (with Notax up front about a million miles away) I thought SOD THIS and learnt to keep up. It's like a bizarre MTBing natural selection, see? :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    miss notax wrote:
    - after many, many trails walking over difficult bits at the back by myself (with Notax up front about a million miles away) I thought SOD THIS and learnt to keep up. It's like a bizarre MTBing natural selection, see? :lol::lol:
    Probably only because notax has a giant obvious.

And by obvious I mean bank balance. Rich guys do have more fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • In the case where the mate was always hanging back for the girlfriend, she would most likley have been better off going with a few of her friends who were of similar ability or doing a different run to her boyfriend. Theres no shame in having a different ability to your OH.
    Or he could do a run with her in the morning and one with his mates in the afternoon.
    I've ridden with both groups and by myself, I prefer going by myself as then I can do what I want all day.