Bike in boot with seats down

2»

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Haha, I drive a Citroen C1 (it's cheap, I hate driving), and can fit 2 bikes and 2 people in there.

Granted, the bikes need taking apart (front and rear wheels, plus seatpost), but it's quite an impressive feat for such a small car. I reckon I could squeeze 3 bikes in, with a mate hanging on the roof.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited June 2012
    Civic. Seat down, front wheel off, bike in the car. Simple.

Whilst visible if you peer in, way more secure than a bike on the roof or back. Would be noticeable trying to smash into a Civic with the alarm going off, and it's not easy to smash the rear window and drag the bike out because of the spoiler.

Two or three bikes will go in easily with both wheels off. Can also raise the seats instead in the Civic and stack a couple of frames in there but needs plenty of padding.

I've used my car to store the bike at times in the past preference to my shed as its more secure. Though try to cover the bike with a sheet. Parcel shelf fitted on the back means it's less noticeable.

Also, you're not spotted with an expensive bike when driving home. I'm somewhat paranoid about that, but then I don't trust my neighbourhood. Always looking around at who's walking or driving by when getting the bike out.

Downside in the back of the car - mud everywhere and I've got scuff marks all over the place. Yeah I use a ground sheet and try to cover the sides of the car but it inevitably with shift about. I could use a bike bag but it's loads of hassle and would have to be regularly cleaning that out, or I have to take a portable washer and clean the bike before bagging it. Hassle.
  • Had my boardman stolen out the back of my car... they smashed the rear screen and dragged it out. Must have taken around 30seconds.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Had my boardman stolen out the back of my car... they smashed the rear screen and dragged it out. Must have taken around 30seconds.
    Well that proves it then. Unquestionably.
  • Had my boardman stolen out the back of my car... they smashed the rear screen and dragged it out. Must have taken around 30seconds.
    Well that proves it then. Unquestionably.
    admittedly I left it unattended so would have happened if the bikes were on a carrier... but I thought they'd be safer in the car for the 5 mins or so I was in the flat.. how wrong was I!
  • Bike goes in the back of my corsa most of the time, old duvet cover to stop it getting too filthy. Have a boot rack which I sometimes use too.

Once saw a lad pull into Gisburn car park in an old style mini. I was amazed to watch him open the passenger door, reach inside and pull out a whole mtb!!

Just contemplating my next car. Am thinking new mini clubman, bike on the roof, all my cr@p thrown in the fancy back doors.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Bike goes in the back of my corsa most of the time, old duvet cover to stop it getting too filthy. Have a boot rack which I sometimes use too.

Once saw a lad pull into Gisburn car park in an old style mini. I was amazed to watch him open the passenger door, reach inside and pull out a whole mtb!!

Just contemplating my next car. Am thinking new mini clubman, bike on the roof, all my cr@p thrown in the fancy back doors.

Please for the love of god, noooooooooooo.
    You should only be able to have one of those with an orange 5, as they're both as bad as each other.

( :D )
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have to agree with the previous post. Absolutely and sincerely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • :( .
  • was he riding a unicycle?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    nah it was a kids 10 inch wheeled bike with tassels on the bars, and little basket for his dolly..

dont know what the bike was it was a full susser, he removed both wheels and it all fit in.. he put his dolly in the pass seat though even strapped her in with the seat belt, :P
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Also, you're not spotted with an expensive bike when driving home. I'm somewhat paranoid about that, but then I don't trust my neighbourhood. Always looking around at who's walking or driving by when getting the bike out.

Ha ha, me too. It's only a 500 nicker bike but there's always some filthy little pikey fecker that would have it away if you give them half the chance.
  • PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    I get mine easily in the back of my MPV.

I did see someone pack...

2 road bikes
    2 mountain bikes
    extra wheels
    enough gear for a weekend away

and it was all in a Renault Clio
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    me and a m8 uset to put 2 mtbs accross the back seat of an old mini - just had to take the front wheels off - small cars are more capable than most think!
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    I have a Skoda Roomster. It has removable rear seats. If i take one (or two) of the rear seats out i can get two bikes in the back. I remove the front wheel, turn the bike upside down (so its resting on saddle and handlebars) and strap it down with bungees. It works really well. With regards to security, i got some custom sun shades for the rear windows so nobody can see whats in the back of the car. Also, I usually take my Thule 591 with me so if the bike is totally caked in mud i will chuck it on the roof for the trip back home.
    Works well for me and feels like luxury from the days of getting a bike into the passenger seat of a Lotus Elise....
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    craigw99 wrote:
    me and a m8 uset to put 2 mtbs accross the back seat of an old mini - just had to take the front wheels off - small cars are more capable than most think!

Plus older cars don't tend to have half the boot filled with "convenient storage lockers" and gigantic wheel arch inners and such. There's an awful lot of empty space behind the sides of most car boots.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You can always stick cardboard or pad spacers between the pads if you need the wheel out.
  • Did this for years, in my younger days my riding accomplice and I used to cram 2 bikes plus all the other gubbins into my Fiat Uno or his Micra. In later years we used my Fiat Bravo (unless I could scrounge a Transit from work - the ultimate MTB transport!). Some old curtains or a tarp to cover the car interior kept it clean and as for security, we just avoided parking anywhere with the bikes left in the car - easy.

Back in January I got a new car (2012 Passat) which, being a saloon rather than a hatch, isn't so good for putting bikes in. Probably would be OK with one bike but two would be difficult. I did buy a set of roof bars and Thule bike carriers for it several months ago, but thanks to work and the minor inconvenience of a baby arriving in April, we haven't yet found a free day in which to make use of 'em... :roll:
    <center>I\'m not schizophrenic, and neither am I.

*INSERT SOMETHING WITTY HERE*</center>
  • Dcdanr
    Dcdanr Posts: 12
    I have to put the bike in the back of my mk6 golf hatchback. Isn't ideal as it's a company car so I do get worried about scratching some of the interior parts. Fits in fine though and I generally cover it with a sheet and put the parcel shelf back in. Tinted windows means it's not easily spotted!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have to put my bike in the back of my Golf MK6 hatchback. It is ideal as it is a company car so I don't really give a toss about it; my Superstar Nano's are constantly ripping the interior to pieces, and half of the trail centre usually ends up in the back. It fits in fine and I hope someone nicks it as it will be covered on the insurance and I can get a new one.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Managed to carry 6 bikes once in my Astra. Well that should be 3 inside with the seats down and 3 on the roof rack. Also had kit boxes and luggage and 3 tents in it. Bloody thing barely got up the hills on the M6.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap