MTB Skills

Lisa101
Lisa101 Posts: 33
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi ppl,
I'm looking to gain some info on technique, tips and general mountain biking skills. I can't seem to find a forum relevant on here.. Can anyone point me in the right direction? ;)
Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just ask some questions here!

There are also articles in the main BikeRadar webpage.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I just had a session with Adam from http://www.thebikeschool.net which I'd recommend. I did it at Cannock which might not be too far from you?

He covers anything from basics through to Downhill skills. I got a lot out of it, that's for certain.
  • Lisa101
    Woody80 wrote:
    I just had a session with Adam from http://www.thebikeschool.net which I'd recommend. I did it at Cannock which might not be too far from you?

He covers anything from basics through to Downhill skills. I got a lot out of it, that's for certain.

It's a bit bizarre there's no forum for skill and riding advice.. Theres loads of info on buying and workshop but nothing about actually riding the bike?! Crazy lol

Thanks for yr replies ;) Woody, I've booked a course a Cannock (can't wait!) but it's with Chase Skills.. Are they the same?!.. Anyway I'm sure I'll learn all there, just wanted to get prepared ;)

X
  • supersonic
    It's called the 'general' section lol.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Simple really. Ride up hill, ride down hill. Fall off. Ride up hill, ride down hill, try not to fall off in the same place.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd recommend getting this book too;

http://thehairyrider.com/books/

Have read it cover-to-cover and my riding has improved an amazing amount.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Lisa101

Jeez, I think we r missing a comedian forum too...

Thanks for the book recommendation- sounds like just the thing :)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Lisa101 wrote:

Jeez, I think we r missing a comedian forum too...

Thanks for the book recommendation- sounds like just the thing :)

That'll be the crudcatcher :)
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    People learn in different ways. I have read every how to and skills article in various mags and forums for the last two years but in my experience there is no substitute for a decent coach actually showing you what to do and also correcting what you are doing wrong. Written advice will take you so far and give you the basic info but when it comes to executing it properly it can be hit and miss. It's about finding what works for you really.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Woody80
    andymc06 wrote:
    People learn in different ways. I have read every how to and skills article in various mags and forums for the last two years but in my experience there is no substitute for a decent coach actually showing you what to do and also correcting what you are doing wrong. Written advice will take you so far and give you the basic info but when it comes to executing it properly it can be hit and miss. It's about finding what works for you really.
    I find that a coaching session also forces you to actually apply the stuff you read! I've never spent any time practicing bunny hops and manuals. I'd normally just go out and ride without thinking about what I'm doing. Is completely agree its worth getting training and having the feedback that a book can't give you.

That said, reading what to do is much better than just doing what you've always done. I even found one of the MBUK DVDs helpful (the Fabien Barel one)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    That brian lopes book looks good - has a lot of good stuff in about bikes not just riding - havent read it all, just glanced through a mates copy.

mtb is a tricky one to learn - I just rode about and learnt through trial and error but I understand that echnique doesnt work for all and especially for women - women like to be told what to do but not by their significant others.

The top five tips for riding I always used to give beginner mtbers int he alps were:
    1. Front brake is your friend
    2. Stand up on the pedals and let the bike move about under you - the seats only there for climbing
    3. attack position - pedals level
    4. lean the bike not your body to turn
    5. wear knee pads, full finger gloves and a helmet

If I liked them I added a sixth - have fun

To be honest a faster, more technically competent riding companion is your best ally - someone to chase and watch will give you the idea, build up slowly and dont worry about fitness first, a short ride packed full of interesting stuff will be more fun than a long ride on fire roads.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bartiebat
    bartiebat Posts: 97
    I did a ladies only core skills & then later a ladies jump & drops course with Campbell Coaching. Not that I felt I needed to be with ladies only, but it's amazing how much girlies overcome the same problems that blokes fly through & vice versa. I really enjoyed them. It's not a fix you now thing but over the months it transformed me completely. Definitely recommended http://www.campbellcoaching.eu/Campbell_Coaching/Campbell_Coaching.html
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    mtb is a tricky one to learn - I just rode about and learnt through trial and error but I understand that echnique doesnt work for all and especially for women - women like to be told what to do but not by their significant others.

That's got me in a bit of trouble the odd time! :lol:
  • supersonic
    2. Stand up on the pedals and let the bike move about under you - the seats only there for climbing

Depends on what terrain I guess! I sit for a lot of stuff, not just climbs.

Also I find dropping your heels can be an advantage.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    andymc06 wrote:

It's not one or the other. Do both! Reading a book like the Brian Lopez book in the evening is not going to effect you negatively that for sure! There's some great phrases in there which he repeats throughout the book; "heavy feet light hands" has helped me the most and also "brake like you mean it!" has stopped me feathering the brakes on fast descents

I agree with paul.skibum though - one of the best ways to improve quickly is trying to follow a better rider down a fast trail.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    supersonic wrote:

Depends on what terrain I guess! I sit for a lot of stuff, not just climbs.

Also I find dropping your heels can be an advantage.

I sit more on my FS than my HT (or at least I did, havent seen my HT for a year now :cry: ). On slight downhills I tend to want to stand and let 'em rip. I find it allows me to pump of rocks and rollers, lean the bike into corners and generally be more active and have more fun. Seated ends up feeling a little pedestrian.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    I have watched this a couple of times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-shXvkKJc&list=FLft8MOQsDOAcCPPMaQkzd9A&index=1&feature=plpp_video and found it very useful. Applied some of the techniques on my last ride and my descents were definitely faster. Still can't manual though :(
  • Woody80
    I have watched this a couple of times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-shXvkKJc&list=FLft8MOQsDOAcCPPMaQkzd9A&index=1&feature=plpp_video and found it very useful. Applied some of the techniques on my last ride and my descents were definitely faster. Still can't manual though :(
    Manuals just take practice to find the balance point. I couldn't do one before Saturday but eventually started to be able to just for short distances. Just need to stick at it. I'm going to keep doing it along any fireroad section rather than just breezing along.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    Woody80 wrote:
    Manuals just take practice to find the balance point.

Wish I could get the bike up high enough to try and find the balance point!
  • paul.skibum

That is quite possibly the dullest video I have ever watched - the instructor guy is sooooo boring to listen to and instead of demonstrations and visuals its all overly technical talking and hand gestures - the other guy looks like he's falling asleep and I am not surprised.

I also kinda disagree with his tuition on how to handle drops.

I'll read the brian lopes book I think.
  • Lisa101
    That brian lopes book looks good - has a lot of good stuff in about bikes not just riding - havent read it all, just glanced through a mates copy.

The top five tips for riding I always used to give beginner mtbers int he alps were:
    1. Front brake is your friend
    3. attack position - pedals level
    4. lean the bike not your body to turn
    5. wear knee pads, full finger gloves and a helmet

If I liked them I added a sixth - have fun

To be honest a faster, more technically competent riding companion is your best ally - someone to chase and watch will give you the idea, build up slowly and dont worry about fitness first, a short ride packed full of interesting stuff
    will be more fun than a long ride on fire roads.

Cheers..thanks to u all some good pointers there. I haven't checked out the utube vid yet, I'll av a butchers in a bit ;)
    As for having someone I can follow, well none of my friends or anyone i know Into mountain biking :( need a biking
    buddy!. I like to ride fast *lol but I worry I take too many risks without really know what I'm doing!? ain't fallen off yet but I think I need to.. if u kno wot I mean... I can't wait for this Cannock Course :)
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Hi,

I cannot recommend going on a skills course enough. Loads of people doing them these days so find one in your area & go for it. Check on here for reviews/feedback.

I get such positive feedback from the ones I run (via our club, www.mbswindon.co.uk) and can see the improvements in their riding on later club rides.

Yes they can be a few £, but you'll get better value for money from them than any bike upgrade. The number of times I've heard people say they'd of done this better if they had better forks or full suspension or whatever when actually they just needed some technique improvements.

I will also add that whilst I'm a qualified instructor, I don't make any money from running courses so that's not the reason I'm promoting them. I do them for free because I get a lot out of seeing what a difference they make to peoples riding.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the best 2 dvds i seen for coaching are.. Fluidride Like a Pro and Fluidride Flow-Tonic. these 2 really are good dvds full of really good advice... you can get them here
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Simple really. Ride up hill, ride down hill. Fall off. Ride up hill, ride down hill, try not to fall off in the same place.
    Very very much this.
    It's a bike. Use some common sense, and ask about the specifics you're confused about.
  • forgotrafe
    cooldad wrote:
    Very very much this.
    It's a bike. Use some common sense, and ask about the specifics you're confused about.

Simply not true. Riding a bike along the road to the shops, yes it's simple and not important. But whilst the techniques required for riding a mountain bike off-road in such a way as to enjoy the ride, flow smoothly and minimise the chances of serious injury can be picked up by trial and error, will this be before or after you've hurt yourself and before or after you've wasted loads of riding time hanging onto the brakes and not really enjoying it?

A good training course will get you enjoying your mountain bike and reducing the risk of injury sooner rather than later.
  • supersonic
    And I suppose that is the crux - a 'good' one, or at least one where the pupil and teacher understand one another. I have seen more than one so called instructor who says you must do x, y and z in ways a, b or c and nothing else. As can be seen from the top riders, the styles and lines vary immensely, although some basic principles are the same.

Because of that, I do think that cooldad and yeehaa has a point - there is a LOT a rider can do before they should pay somebody to show them.
  • forgotrafe
    Good point supersonic. I try and explain "why" not just "you must". If there are multiple ways of doing something (e.g. position of brake levers), I try and explain the merits of each way and leave it up to the pupil to see what suits them.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    forgotrafe wrote:
    Good point supersonic. I try and explain "why" not just "you must". If there are multiple ways of doing something (e.g. position of brake levers), I try and explain the merits of each way and leave it up to the pupil to see what suits them.
    Oh, wait, so you're an instructor. Funny how you'd disagree with me on this then :lol:
  • forgotrafe
    Oh, wait, so you're an instructor. Funny how you'd disagree with me on this then :lol:

Yes I am, but I don't make any money from it (I do it for free via our club, mbswindon.co.uk) so I'm not as biased as you think! I instruct because I believe it makes a genuine difference to peoples riding and I get a lot out of seeing people improve hugely after just a few simple hours of tuition.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I give tuition to our little bunch as well (London Calling) but they generally ignore me because I am frankly quite rubbish and they are all faster than me.
    No respect. That's the problem with the youth of today.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools