Pannier rack fundamentals

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Apologies if this has been covered many times, but searching for "rack" doesn't really narrow it down in this particular forum...

I have a road bike (Monoc Quattro Pro with no rack mounts), an mtb (Felt Q360 with disc brakes with no rack mounts), and a brace of Altura "Urban" panniers (20 litre each).

1. Is it possible to get one rack to fit both bikes?
2. Do you have to throw lots of money at getting adaptor kits and things like that to attach them to stays?
3. Is accepted wisdom that you shouldn't really go putting racks on bikes not designed to have them?

Ta!
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You can get something really cheap called P-Clips (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tor ... s-ec006759) to allow for racks to be mounted on bikes with no fittings. These probably shouldnt be used on carbon though.

You will need to get a rack that fits over your disc brakes - they make special versions that are wider for this - I havent needed them on my Felt Q820 as normal ones clear the disc calipers but yours may be different.

Alternatively, you can get racks that just secure to the seatpost but these are less stable and weight is limited and bags may sway around more.
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    Thanks. I wouldn't want a seatpost rack with these big panniers really.

And a good point about p-clips vs carbon stays... that answers the interbike-compatibility question.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You shouldnt use P-clips on carbon seat-stays.
    P clips are a bit over-stressed with the disc-specific style of rack. These have a cantilevered (ie sticky-outy to avoid the brake) lower bit that puts a lot of rotational force on the mount.
    The only style of rack which will fit both types is a seatpost-clamp rack. These may be OK for 2x20l bags; they have quite low weight limits
    The clamp puts a lot of stress on the seatpost so only use with midrange aluminium NOT carbon or high end alu. If you try holding your packed pannier bag by the base, then with an outstretched arm, that is the extra stress on your post.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Tubus do an accessory kit that means you can use their cargo racks with an axle mounting. This may also work with disc brakes. If all else fails, with a steel rack you can use spacers to get it to fit with the brake calipers.

A Tubus Cargo plus accessory kit is probably the best one-rack solution - although it won't be cheap.