OT:MOT...

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Does anyone else sh*t their pants when it is MOT day.....I have no reason to cr*p myself, as the car is in good condition....but I guess that previous MOT experience puts me in this state.

It is like the hour before sitting a Maths 'o' level.

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'm praying to the MOT gods as we type.

So yes. Brown trousers day today.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Does anyone else sh*t their pants when it is MOT day.....I have no reason to cr*p myself, as the car is in good condition....but I guess that previous MOT experience puts me in this state.

It is like the hour before sitting a Maths 'o' level.

Our car has twice seemed fine just before an MOT, only to apparently need £800+ worth of work doing to it. It's not that old, nor does it have that many miles on the clock. One previous owner, regularly serviced; just unlucky I guess. Mind you, I think the garage we used to use might have been a bit over-zealous - they once claimed that the head gasket needed replacing, then when we queried it, they decided maybe it didn't.

I'm not helping, am I?

Ours is due, too. I'd take the maths exam any day.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I always find my car needs work done after it's passed it's MOT.

My Corsa passed it's first MOT despite needing the suspension fixed, 2 new tyres and a new heater motor :roll:
  • gtvlusso
    Just had an £1100 bill for work on the Mercedes.....It should be top notch, but it only takes an angry MOT tester to screw your day up.
  • gtvlusso
    It failed.....

Ball joint broken
    Emissions....it was off the scale.

F*ck.....where do I start on that one!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It failed.....

Ball joint broken

Ball joint - easy fix and something that's on the MOT list for a reason.

Emissions - not sure where you would go from here. What make/model/year car is it? Is it the garage's way of telling you that the catalytic converter has bought the farm? Because that might be a write-off!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    You need a friendly tester. Ideally one that owes you a favour. I'm taking my Gran's old Micra for testing this week, shouldn't be a problem.
    I think mail order MOTs are the way forward.
    Alternatively buy an old car. Aren't they scrapping MOTs for pre '62 cars. Theory being they are run by enthusiasts so are well looked after. Seeing as I sell parts for classic cars I have plenty of experience in this field. It scares the bejesus out of me. The average level of competence is appalling.
  • Ben6899
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Seeing as I sell parts for classic cars I have plenty of experience in this field. It scares the bejesus out of me. The average level of competence is appalling.

Are you an enthusiast? You wouldn't fancy buying a VGC 1973 MG Midget by any chance?

Sorry for the hijack!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Last 2 Mot's picked up a fault (non serious) with the suspension, whereas in the MOT just gone, miraculously it has fixed itself.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    It's normally fine since car is a low mileage well looked after beastie, and is small and cheap. Most of the time it passes first go.
  • gtvlusso
    Ben6899 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It failed.....

Ball joint broken

Emissions - not sure where you would go from here. What make/model/year car is it? Is it the garage's way of telling you that the catalytic converter has bought the farm? Because that might be a write-off!

Not too fussed about the ball joint, with 95k on the clock and 2.5 tonnes in weight it was due at least 1 of them going.

Emissions is the bugger, I don't think it is a cat as the engine runs smoothly and the exhaust does not rattle. Normally the cat would break up. I am hoping that it is a lambda sensor.....or dirty filter causing the emissions problem.

Luckily, Mercs have a laptop port and log all issues, hoping that the dealer will find an alarm indication for a faulty sensor and replace for £20.....

Find out tomorrow how badly my wallet will hurt.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Seeing as I sell parts for classic cars I have plenty of experience in this field. It scares the bejesus out of me. The average level of competence is appalling.

Are you an enthusiast? You wouldn't fancy buying a VGC 1973 MG Midget by any chance?

Sorry for the hijack!
    Yikes, no! I can't even get into the things, ridiculous tiny doors. Got into this through owning old Triumphs. The kids have put paid to sports cars for the time being.
    If you ever need anything for it feel free to pm me, I'm sure most people aren't interested but I should be able to help.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,342
    It's normally fine since car is a low mileage well looked after beastie, and is small and cheap. Most of the time it passes first go.

You'd think, wouldn't you (see previous post). The local speed bumps (they are brutal around my area - the 'pillow' type, but there are always cars parked on the road, so you cannot put two wheels either side) have already caused one lot expensive repairs to the suspension - it's done about 2/3rds of the mileage, and weighs less than half GTV's Merc.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    if its diesel take it down the motorway an flog the balls of it, it cleans the valves

might also be useful to throw some of that Red-Ex crap in a full tank of juice, again cain it down the motorway to get it thoroughly through the injectors

its worked for me in the past

ball joints are just wear an tear

i had a "mate" who was a tested, he passed my old Suzuki SJ - back brakes didn't work, it pulled horribly to the left when braking (sticky calliper), holes in the floor etc not good

it wasn't going to be used ont he road but i needed it mot'd so i could tax it
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Ben6899
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yikes, no! I can't even get into the things, ridiculous tiny doors. Got into this through owning old Triumphs. The kids have put paid to sports cars for the time being.
    If you ever need anything for it feel free to pm me, I'm sure most people aren't interested but I should be able to help.

Yep, I just squeeze in at 5'11"!

I will keep your offer in mind, thank you very much, although I am looking to sell and hoping the recent fuel pump is the last thing I ever buy for it!
    Ben

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What are the emissions readings, that will give an indication of the fault!
    HC, CO, Lambda as well as CO2 and O2 if it's on the sheet.

I have a great local MOT station, haven't had a car fail in 8 years......

If you want to clean the injectors ignore mudcow's advice as it's all wrong (run tank to nearly empty, chuck the lot in for maximum concentration and then idle car on the drive to open and shut injectors as often as possible on the fixed amount of treated fuel you have!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • you are not alone, my camper is heading in on Saturday. Despite keeping up with jobs, I always worry I will have missed something. Since the last one I've done disks and pads all round, and a set of roll bar bushes this weekend, and replaced a cracked rear spring. I hope thats it for now!
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Err, you mean you don't have to replace car every three years?!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What and scrap the one you had and not sell it on as 'driveable'?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Pssst!
    Bloke down the pub says he'll MOT your car, unseen for £75.

Anyone wanna buy a car? No tax but a year's MOT?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Low mileage 1985 Saab Turbo. Generally fails to deliver even advisories!

If it did fail, it would probably just require a couple of hundred quid to replace a lump of cast iron somewhere. I find the running costs of modern cars terrifying.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    The car gets redex every month; just had a new inlet manifold, port motor and injector seals (£1100 bill), so, I am a little surprised by the failure.....

Awaiting the failure sheet......bugger!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It failed.....

Ball joint broken

Not too fussed about the ball joint, with 95k on the clock and 2.5 tonnes in weight it was due at least 1 of them going.

Emissions is the bugger, I don't think it is a cat as the engine runs smoothly and the exhaust does not rattle. Normally the cat would break up. I am hoping that it is a lambda sensor.....or dirty filter causing the emissions problem.

Luckily, Mercs have a laptop port and log all issues, hoping that the dealer will find an alarm indication for a faulty sensor and replace for £20.....

O2 Sensors are a pain and a dirty air filter is a trivial thing to check, I'd also check the MAF while you're in the area as this a favourite; but I'd also question whether the car was 'enthusiastically' warmed up before the test as the cat must be fully hot before it's working properly.

I've had a car fail on the emissions test before and told them to take it for a brisk run up and down the local dual carriageway and then phone me back with a pass.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    gtvlusso wrote:
    The car gets redex every month; just had a new inlet manifold, port motor and injector seals (£1100 bill), so, I am a little surprised by the failure.....

Awaiting the failure sheet......bugger!

Use STP - redex is a bit rubbish TBH.

but as said: a good long hot run is usually the best thing anyway
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    It failed.....

Ball joint broken

O2 Sensors are a pain and a dirty air filter is a trivial thing to check, I'd also check the MAF while you're in the area as this a favourite; but I'd also question whether the car was 'enthusiastically' warmed up before the test as the cat must be fully hot before it's working properly.

I've had a car fail on the emissions test before and told them to take it for a brisk run up and down the local dual carriageway and then phone me back with a pass.

Engine limps if the MAF dies - also alarms for this, MAF was replaced last year.

I would have hoped that they would have ragged the car a bit before testing, I must admit that I drive it very gently, but would have expected any MOT station (and we have used this one a fair bit) to have tested quite a few diesels and give diesels a chance to warm up and 'clear their lungs' before testing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ahhh I think you have answered your own question when you say "I must admit that I drive it very gently" you need to give diesels a bloody good run once in a while, it is actually necessary and you may be on the limit of the emissions winge light coming on anyway.

Take the car out for a spirited run and use all of the rev range - have fun with that torque! Then take it back to the MOT test centre and try again
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Would it not be in the short term financial interests of MOT testing stations to fail your car on something spurious so that you pay for a repair when not much (if any) work needs to be done?

I just saved myself ~£500 by taking my car to a different garage to get some work done after a MOT fail.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Would it not be in the short term financial interests of MOT testing stations to fail your car on something spurious so that you pay for a repair when not much (if any) work needs to be done?
    Are you suggesting that some people involved in the motor and mechanic trades might not be greasier versions of Mother Theresa?! :shock:

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Kieran_Burns
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I just saved myself ~£500 by taking my car to a different garage to get some work done after a MOT fail.

One of the reasons why a group of MOT test centres near here are so popular - they ONLY MOT. Have no affiliation to any garage, so you know you get an honest test.

I've used them in the past and they will not fail you only burnt out bulbs if you promise to fix 'em on the way home. For some reason you find you HAVE to fix 'em!

Of course it means you get an honest test and while some centres may pull a blind eye to some faults - these guys won't (apart from the above)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gtvlusso
    Ahhh I think you have answered your own question when you say "I must admit that I drive it very gently" you need to give diesels a bloody good run once in a while, it is actually necessary and you may be on the limit of the emissions winge light coming on anyway.

Take the car out for a spirited run and use all of the rev range - have fun with that torque! Then take it back to the MOT test centre and try again

2.5 tonnes, 220BHP and 400Nm torque = big fuel bill when ragged....I am just a slow coach, always have been. The car is just very rarely used and most runs are urban, does not get much freedom on the open roads.