Jedi or Ed Oxley?

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I know this is down to personal preference but I fancy having some proper training and woul like some opinions! Everyone who spends a day with Jedi seems to rave about him but the long wait combined with a 3 hour drive, so I'd probable travel down the night before, made me look around and find Ed who"s only about 30mins from me and seems to get good comments.

Is there a massive difference between the two for a relative beginner?

Cheers

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I did a 1 2 1 course with Ed, brought me on no end.
    Also did a group course with him, again very good, but not as good as 1 2 1 , but then that'll be the same for any coach.

Definately recommend. Nice bloke too and very good at getting things across.

Can't comment on Jedi, seen his vids, seems to know his stuff and seems a nice chap too.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Did a course with Ed, really made a difference to my riding, cant comment on the other guy... but seen the reviews don't think you will go far wrong with either.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • I've done Stop Crashing level 1 with Ed at Gisburn and it was a great day. Would like to progress onto some of his other courses, but it's a case of finding the time. As you're only 30 min's away, try Ed first and if you don't like it, try t'other fella. As Ed is possibly a contender for both nicest guy and best beard award, I'm sure you won't regret it.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    edited June 2012
    I did the flow course with Ed last year, group of 6 and mixed ability, he is very calm and explains things well, I was faster than the others in the group and Ed coached me on more advanced techniques which have brought me on a lot, I was terrified of big drops and jumps, now I hit most things without any trouble.

Jedi seems to be very good at the more advanced techniques and gets very good reviews.

As a relative beginner both will serve you well.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    I've used Ed twice in the past and he's been great on both occasions. Can't comment on Jedi, but from all accounts he's very good as well. Considering Ed's only 30 mins away I'd go with him.

Either way you'll be a better rider. Go with Ed and you'll have more money in your pocket at the end of it. :D
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I did a skills course with Ed Oxley and it was very good, but can I also throw another name into the pot:

http://www.rootsriding.co.uk

Jay at Roots Riding has really helped me improve my skills and confidence. Definitely worth checking out.
  • lyonsdown
    lyonsdown Posts: 3
    As you're only 30 min's away, try Ed first and if you don't like it, try t'other fella. As Ed is possibly a contender for both nicest guy and best beard award, I'm sure you won't regret it.g.gif
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I did a half days coaching with Jedi which I found amazing helpful. For me, it was more about how I tackled stuff and getting my head around it rather than actually learning skills (not saying I have loads of skills - I don't - just that my head was holding me back more than that!) and Jedi was perfect for this. Rather than physically teaching me x, y and z he changed the way I think about riding and (mentally) approach stuff. It's made more of a difference than I ever thought possible actually!

I've ridden stuff that I wouldn't have touched before and I havn't just blasted down it - i've felt totally in control and actually had bloody good fun (rather than just holding on and hoping for the best).

I don't know about Ed but personally I couldn't recommend Jedi enough :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what sort of stuff you after learning?
    if it's flow and general trail then ed is the man as he's close and he is good at what he does.

if it's jumps and teccy stuff like that then tony jedi is the man for the job.

i know jay from rootsriding he's a really good rider and really nice guy.. i meant to be doing some media work with him soon...
  • 1mancity2
    Or before you do a course, try riding with better riders to access what areas you want to improve, were up Gisburn or Lee quarry most weekends so tag along.

Not saying were experts.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Just to add another option to the mix.... Mark James over at http://www.mtbinstruction.co.uk/ is recommended by me if you are not too far from Woburn.
  • absv
    absv Posts: 149
    Thanks for all the advice. The main reason for the coaching idea is that I went to Cannock a few weeks ago with some more experienced riders and felt that I was putting in a lot more effort in a lot of sections that they were cruising through! They were great but I just felt that I could enjoy it a bit more if I wasnt so knackered and think that my technique/skill let me down a lot.

As for the areas of concern (I appologise for the dummy terms), when climbing steep switchbacks my front wheel kept lifting, almost to the point of wheelieing, and I ended up pushing it up a fair few. When descending the switchbacks I was OK on the straight bits but I was almost stopping at each corner and having to build my speed up again. Finally as soon as I rode on the wooden bits (sort of Northshore stuff) I was all over the place, couldnt ride a straight line to save my life - god knows what was going on there.
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Or before you do a course, try riding with better riders to access what areas you want to improve, were up Gisburn or Lee quarry most weekends so tag along.

Not saying were experts.

I would love to but I can guarantee that I'd be very slow and holding you up, if thats OK then where do I sign up... :)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    everyone is a beginner once.. dont worry about speed it will come with time in the saddle/confidence.

coaching is often overlooked and by far the best bang for your buck you will spend. better than any up graded component.
    as for climbing long steep climbs switchbacks etc. sit on the nose of the saddle drop your elbows this should keep your front end planted. oh and spin a low gear..

and northshore/woodwork/board walk.. it's a funny thing.. you can ride at speed for miles on the white line or yellow line on the road, or even along a narrow kerb.. but put a 15-30 inch wide piece of wood 3-5ft up in the air and it becocmes complicated and hard...
    trick is to look well ahead not at the front wheel.. focus were you want to go and not at were youDONT WANT TO GO

for stuff like this north shore style coching jedi is possibly the best in the uk. from what i seen if him riding think tooth pick elevated 10-15 feet and you wont be far off...
  • 1mancity2
    absv wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:

Not saying were experts.

I would love to but I can guarantee that I'd be very slow and holding you up, if thats OK then where do I sign up... :)

As Delcol says, your wheel lifting could also be your stem being the wrong length, cornering takes time and confidence, brake before the corner and pump the bike round to gain speed as you exit.

I've been riding with a guy who is blistering quick round corners (ex motocross racer) and I thought I was ok at cornering but he has shown me a thing or two, so were all worse/better than someone, just keep at it,

biggest tip I can give you is to turn your bike with your body as well as your bars, i.e knees, elbows, feet, twist round the corner.

Hold us up?

no chance we session stuff and wait and encourage everyone who is riding, we tend to go early morning but if your up for it your more than welcome.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    They both get very good recommends so you prob can't go far wrong.

I am getting Jedi'd next week and I am driving 250 miles past my nearest instructor/school as I couldn't find anyone who recommended them before I booked.

Weather is looking good for Wednesday too :)
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    I went on a one-to-one with Jedi and he was excellent, can't fault his passion, knowledge or ability to impart both. However, the sort of stuff you're talking about should be covered by most of the skills courses/instructors out there. I certainly cover the sort of things you're worried about on the courses I take.

So my advice would be to go with someone local. Check on here for feedback.

When your riding really improves except for those one or two things that, despite knowing all the theory, you can't get right, then Jedi is your man and a one-to-one will be really worth it.