Getting enough water on a long bike ride

benkxk
benkxk Posts: 151
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

Went for my first long bike ride, ok it was on 25 miles, peanuts to some, but this is 2.5 times what I usually do due to the rubbish weather lately.

However, coming from MTB I am used to a CamelBack for this, and so I tried to abide to road bikes and only use 2 bottles, 500ml powerade, and 750ml water with 2 High5 Zero (I think?) tablets in.

However, I was thoroughly dehydrated at the end of the ride, as I couldn't find anywhere to top up.

How do you guys stay hydrated? And would it be acceptable to wear a camelback on a road bike if I don't wanna stop to fill me bottles up? (or is this the ultimate road sin?)

Thanks.

Comments

• 1.25 litres should be more than enough for the distances that you're doing, to be honest. In fact it should be good for about double that. Any medical issues? Do you hydrate fully before you start?
  • benkxk
    Thanks for your reply.

I think it may of been as you said that I didn't hydrate fully before it. I always have had problems keeping hydrated, I had probably 850ml of water before.

I also sweat alot! I think its genetic, as so does my father, so that is another problem I face.

Should I be drinking more before the ride?
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    If you were thoroughly dehydrated you'd be dead, but seriously, you needed to drink 2 bottles for a 25 mile bike ride? I would go to my doctor if I were you.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    It will be more that you are feeling the effects of the ride being 2.5 times what you normally do rather than dehydration.

Issues like hydration can be quite personal so what is right for someone might not be right for others - i drink more than most guys on my club yet if its below about 15 degrees i'll 'only' go through 2 710ml bottles for about 70 to 80 miles (Some of my club mates will only use 1 bottle for the same distance) If its hotter than that then i'll use more and need to refill (its very rarely an issue finding somewhere to do so) and/or take an extra drink in a back pocket. The large capri suns (330ml) are pretty good for fitting in a pocket of a cycling jersey as they sort of fit into the shape of your body unlike a bottle - lucozade sport used to be sold in pouches like that too but not any more.

I'd avoid wearing camelbaks, they are great for mountain biking but on a road bike your position on the bike is more bent over and they can become annoying pretty quickly..feels much nicer not carrying the extra weight around.
  • benkxk
    It will be more that you are feeling the effects of the ride being 2.5 times what you normally do rather than dehydration.

Issues like hydration can be quite personal so what is right for someone might not be right for others - i drink more than most guys on my club yet if its below about 15 degrees i'll 'only' go through 2 710ml bottles for about 70 to 80 miles (Some of my club mates will only use 1 bottle for the same distance) If its hotter than that then i'll use more and need to refill (its very rarely an issue finding somewhere to do so) and/or take an extra drink in a back pocket. The large capri suns (330ml) are pretty good for fitting in a pocket of a cycling jersey as they sort of fit into the shape of your body unlike a bottle - lucozade sport used to be sold in pouches like that too but not any more.

I'd avoid wearing camelbaks, they are great for mountain biking but on a road bike your position on the bike is more bent over and they can become annoying pretty quickly..feels much nicer not carrying the extra weight around.

Thanks for a constructive answer unlike some. I think the problem was the distance as you said and the lack of water before. I only drink about 2 small cups of water a day. I need to get this sorted if I want to go anywhere in life...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Worst case, there is usually a pub or shop somewhere en route where you can refill your bidon...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Blimey - I obviously dont drink enough!

I happily do 15 miles with no drink, 20 miles with just a couple of slurps if pushing (maybe 100ml) and 25 miles I would probably have around half a bottle.

If I drank what you did in that short a space of time, I would be stopping for the toilet constantly!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    out of interest how much does teh camelback hold and how long did the 25 take you?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • benkxk
    out of interest how much does teh camelback hold and how long did the 25 take you?

The camelback holds 3l. The 25 took me about 2/3 hours with stops
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you are that desperate to keep topped up, shove a bottle in your back pocket or a can of sprite if you is a heathen like me.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You can also get a thing that attaches to the back of the saddle with 2 bottle cages on it, or I think you can get a handlebar mount - if you want extra carrying options. Dont know how well they work but have seen people with them.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Well, sorry if my answer wasn't constructive enough for you, but here's why I suggested seeing your doctor.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • benkxk
    Herbsman wrote:
    Well, sorry if my answer wasn't constructive enough for you, but here's why I suggested seeing your doctor.

Well thank you for this extra bit. I said your post wasn't constructive because it seemed very vain.

This is posted in road beginners because I am not used to the distance and I do not drink enough water outside of cycling, as stated about 2 small cups a day. And you may be a 100+ miler for all I know and telling me off for drinking more than you seemed a bit nasty. I wanted some guidance of what to do.

Anyway, it's not thirst I had, just the general dehydration issues, headache etc.

I am now trying to drink more water day-to-day as I think this is the main problem behind this.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Herbsman wrote:
    If you were thoroughly dehydrated you'd be dead, but seriously, you needed to drink 2 bottles for a 25 mile bike ride? I would go to my doctor if I were you.
    This.

I'd have a banana and a glass of water before the ride and not drink anything during...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    That certainly seems a huge amount of liquid for a 25 mile 2 - 3 hour ride. How much liquid do you normally drink in a day? I admit that I am guilty of not drinking enough on the bike but even though I sweat a lot I wouldn't use that amount on an 80 mile ride. As Rick has said, if you do need more than 2 bottles then just stop and fill up at a cafe or garage and if necessary carry some energy / salt tablets to go in the refilled bottles. You could also carry a couple of 400ml bottles in your pockets if using a cycling jersey or, if all else fails, there's no law against using a Camelback on the road.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    there used to be a local organised ride of about 30 miles and when i got back into bikeling it used to seem massive, i'd do it in about 2 hours 40 and like you i'd take 2x750 bottles of water and drink them both - i think your body adapts th emore you ride so being dehydrated as a newbie isnt uncommon - i think you're right to say you need to drink more before you go out - every little helps after all. Also check out the high 5 zero tablets - i've found them great for hydration - much better than water.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    BenKxK wrote:
    would it be acceptable to wear a camelback on a road bike if I don't wanna stop to fill me bottles up? (or is this the ultimate road sin?)
    Yes - wear what you want. Don't let others diss you cause you are wearing a small backpack.

I agree with others that it seems a lot though. I would drink 1/2 bottle during 16 miles. If I do 30-40 miles I would go through one whole bottle. But I would drink double again as soon as I get home.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • benkxk
    Pross wrote:
    How much liquid do you normally drink in a day?

As said before, on average about 1-2litres. I am mostly dehydrated as I have a physcological problem getting myself to drink more
    Also check out the high 5 zero tablets - i've found them great for hydration - much better than water.

These were the tablets which I used yesterday, got the name confused!
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I think the more you ride the less water/food you'll need. When I first started cycling a 25 mile ride would involve a stop to eat something and I'd drink a 750ml bottle of water. Nowadays I don't bother taking any food or drink on a ride <30 miles, just make sure I eat and drink beforehand.

Also if you're doing a big ride (regardless of distance, as you say 25 miles is 2 and a half times more than what you have ridden in the past) then don't underestimate the importance of drinking lots the day before the ride. If you dehydrate the day before then it'll have a knock on effect the next day. I didn't drink much the day before my first 100 and I really suffered for it.
  • benkxk
    Nickel wrote:
    Also if you're doing a big ride (regardless of distance, as you say 25 miles is 2 and a half times more than what you have ridden in the past) then don't underestimate the importance of drinking lots the day before the ride. If you dehydrate the day before then it'll have a knock on effect the next day. I didn't drink much the day before my first 100 and I really suffered for it.

The day before all I had was some Fanta and 1.5 pints of water...

I think the day before that I hardly had anything just about 750ml the whole day...

As I said I find it really hard to drink anything even though it is the most important thing....
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    I used to drink loads on the bike when I first stared riding - and always felt dehydrated. Then someone pointed out the amount of tea/coffe I drank, and how little plain water. Switching the balance helped massively (so I guess we should ask how much tea/coffee you drink as these can dehydrate you?).

I got into the habit of filling a 2-litre water bottle, and keeping it on my desk at work. It took a while to get used to, but drinking this daily really helped - and I massively reduced the daily caffeine intake. As others have mentioned, you'll probably get more fuel efficient the more you ride, so you'll probably start needing to carry less. I'm nowhere near as fit as I was, but only need a 750ml bottle for 25miles.

And one thing to think of with the Camelbak... some pros use them for time trials as a) they can drink without becoming un-aero, and b) the hump also makes their backs more aero efficient. Personally, as an ex-Camelbak user, I just found they made my back hotter, which is a major heat release panel on a cyclist, which made me even thirstier!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use a Camelback for longer offroad rides where getting a top-up is more difficult, but prefer to use bottles on the road because of the comfort and weight factor - any extra 2-3kg on your back slows you down. As you gain fitness, you'll find you'll expend less energy and effort for the same speed and distance but as a rough guide 500-750ml of fluids an hour is considered 'normal'. Drink too much and you'll be stopping for a whizz every 20 minutes - also be wary of a condition called 'hyper-hydration' and avoid drinking too much water in hot conditions. Stopping 5-10 minutes to top-up your bottles every 2 hours probably has greater benefit in terms of recovery and hydration than trying to continue without.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    BenKxK wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    How much liquid do you normally drink in a day?

As said before, on average about 1-2litres. I am mostly dehydrated as I have a physcological problem getting myself to drink more
    Also check out the high 5 zero tablets - i've found them great for hydration - much better than water.

These were the tablets which I used yesterday, got the name confused!

Sorry, missed the bit above although in that you say you normally drink 2 small cups a day which would probably be well below even 1 litre. You seem to be at real extremes with nowhere near enough on a daily basis leaving you needing to take on way more than most people would when exercising. I'm not sure how you can overcome this if it really is a psychological thing although you are obviously able to when out on your bike. If you can get fully hydrated before you ride then a 400ml bottle would probably be ample for the ride itself.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Was clearing off an old hard drive (don't ask) and came across something I'd downloaded years ago - hope it helps

How to Hydrate for Better Performance

By Fred Matheny for www.RoadBikeRider.com

If it’s the summer cycling season, it’s probably hot where you live. Cyclists and other outdoor athletes are the first to notice rising temperatures. And the hotter it is, the faster you lose fluids when you ride.

Fluids are crucial to your performance and sense of well-being. We’re really just big bags of fluid—our blood contains about 50 percent water. Because water helps keep us cool, a loss of only one percent of our bodyweight as sweat means a significant loss of speed and endurance.

I know you’ve heard it before—drink, drink, drink! But it’s amazing how few cyclists heed this advice. They forget to drink because of the excitement of the ride, then they wilt before the end.

But proper hydration is easy. Here’s how:

Ride Early or Late. You’ll need to replace fewer fluids if you ride when it’s cooler. One approach: commute by bike so you ride early in the morning and again in the evening when temperatures have moderated. Ralph Phillips, owner of Fairwheel Bikes in Tucson, beats summer temperatures above 100 degrees with dawn rides.

Practice Drinking On the Bike. If you aren’t comfortable taking one hand off the bar to pull the bottle from the cage, practice while riding in an empty parking lot or lightly traveled road with a wide shoulder. Hold the bar with your other hand near the stem to limit swerving as you reach down.

Pre-hydrate. Make sure you’re well hydrated before the ride. Most people are chronically dehydrated because they simply don’t drink enough water. Keep a bottle on your desk and sip frequently all day. For an energy as well as fluid bonus, down 16 ounces of a sports drink about an hour before the ride.

Drink During the Ride. Because your body’s sensation of thirst lags behind its need for liquid, always sip from your bottle before you get thirsty. When you feel thirsty, it’s already too late. Make it a habit to reach for your bottle every 15 minutes and slug down a couple of big swallows.

Most riders need one big bottle (about 28 ounces) per hour but it’s highly variable depending on temperature, intensity of the ride, and other factors such as body size. Experience will help you judge your fluid needs.

Hydrate After the Ride. No matter how much fluid you drink while riding, in hot weather you’ll finish the ride depleted. Your stomach doesn’t empty fast enough to keep up with the demand.

Weigh yourself before and after the ride. Compare the figures. If you’ve lost weight, drink 20 ounces of fluid for each pound of bodyweight you’re down. Keep drinking until your weight has returned to normal and your urine is pale and plentiful.

Restore Sodium Levels. Those white stains on your clothing and helmet straps after a hot ride come from the salt that you sweat out. It needs to be replaced. Low sodium levels are associated with increased incidence of cramps. Heavy sodium losses lead to hyponatremia, a potentially life-threatening condition.

Your sports drink should contain at least 100 mg of sodium per 8 ounces (check the label). It may also help to salt your food when you’re riding frequently in hot weather.
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    urine is the key lol, i just drink until it is clear and try to keep it that way all the time, i also have a good drink of water first thing in the morning when i first wake up.

Shouldnt need much on a 25mile road ride, i know everyone is different though.
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    +1 for the high 5 zero tablets.
    With plain water I start to get cramp at around 20miles.
    On my 50miler yesterday I had a 500ml bottle with a tablet and one 500ml straight water.
    When the one with the tablet was half way down I topped up with water. Then I alternated between bottles.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    BenKxK wrote:
    Nickel wrote:

The day before all I had was some Fanta and 1.5 pints of water...

I think the day before that I hardly had anything just about 750ml the whole day...

As I said I find it really hard to drink anything even though it is the most important thing....

It seems like you've answered your own question here really - you were clearly dehydrated before you even started the ride. Drinking right before the ride really wont help you that much at all - keeping hydrated at all times is the only way to go.

Little and often should help you stay hydrated on the bike, and is a way you may need to go off the bike too. Like many things, it sounds like a habit you've got into and need to constantly think about in order to break it. Medically I doubt there's a reason you cant drink enough, and if there is then as said - see a doctor.