Bike pump

jonod777
jonod777 Posts: 143
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All what's the best hand pump out there I'v got a old MTB one that's getting old so what to get a new one are the c02 ones any good 

Comments

• bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    I use my mini hand pump for emergency use. That's a Lezyne Pressure Drive small size. Light & small enough to be carried in jersey pocket.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Topeak Pocket Rocket
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    A Lezyne, they're awesome. I have a road drive (I think) and it does 100psi with barely any effort.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    lezyne

co2 is ok for racing where time counts, otherwise there's not much going for it

according to my scales, a 16g co2 cartridge weighs 58g, plus 23g for the head (there are lighter ones), 81g total, that'll inflate one tyre to some pressure, with practice it'll be about the right pressure, and you won't cock things up and lose the gas, with luck you won't need to inflate another tyre once yoy've used up your cartridge

my lezyne pump, with a pressure gauge and the rubber end caps all in place weighs 92g, that'll inflate as many tyres as i can manage, and it'll be the correct pressure, plus, on a cold day it'll warm me up again after changing/fixing the tube

even two cartridges will be heavier than the pump
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jonod777
    any one use the Blackburn AirStik S Road Bike Mini Pump Presta Valve
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    CO2 all the way for me. Much more convenient. Very reliable gas connection everytime; 100 psi in 3 seconds. Canisters cost me around 50p a pop. Not much when you have some decent puncture resistant tyres on! I'd say I spend less then £5 a year on cannisters and still have some left over; when I do puncture you can be up and running in 5 minutes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    yeachan153 wrote:
    CO2 all the way for me. Much more convenient. Very reliable gas connection everytime; 100 psi in 3 seconds. Canisters cost me around 50p a pop. Not much when you have some decent puncture resistant tyres on! I'd say I spend less then £5 a year on cannisters and still have some left over; when I do puncture you can be up and running in 5 minutes.

As opposed to the seven minutes it would have taken you with a pump? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jonod777
    yeachan153 wrote:

Where do you get canisters from 50p
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Rolf F wrote:
    yeachan153 wrote:

As opposed to the seven minutes it would have taken you with a pump? :lol:
    Mock all you like - getting a tyre to 100 psi on a mini pump (if that's at all possible) isn't what I want to do on a ride! Especially a long one.

Oh, shop around on ebay; buy around a 20 pack and you can get the value; bicycle specific canisters are a load of marketing hype, regular 12g or 16g ones do fine. Remember to check threaded/non-threaded compatibility
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I'm a belt-and-braces guy. I'd much rather have a pump. I've Leyzne pumps on two bikes and a very relable Zefal frame pump on the tourer.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I've had double punctures or damaged a tube when putting it on several times so would be reluctant to rely purely on CO2 unless I had several cartridges. I can get a tyre up to a rideable pressure within about a minute with a mini pump. It may not be 100psi but enough to prevent a pinch flat and get on with my ride.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    fwiw my lezyne minipump goes over 120psi - i discovered this by accident, wasn't paying attention then noticed the value on the pen gauge

experience shows it gives about 0.5psi per stroke, so once the gauge is in the 90's i start counting as a reminder of when to stop
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    +1 for Lezyne mini pumps.
    I've got a Tech Drive HP and it's lovely!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Never leave the house without my Ultraflate +
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Topeak Road Blaster frame pump. Totally reliable 100psi+ every time.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}