Circuit of the Cotswolds - tough but excellent!

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
Helped by weather we wouldnt have dared dream of last week, this was a cracking ride :D

Very good route that was quiet country lanes for 100 miles, with great scenery and lots of variety and enough challenges for everyone to keep interested. VERY tough at times, with 2,500m of climbing mostly over steep (up to 25%) hills, made it a tough old day out :twisted:

Simple but effective food stops delivered just what was needed and it was all for a good cause. Hope everyone else had a good day as well. We saw one person waiting for an ambulance after what we heard was a touch of wheels, so hope they didnt suffer serious injury and make a full recovery.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• alywbwfc
    alywbwfc Posts: 9
    Woohoo my first century! :D (previous most was 74 miles)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/187640866

I'd echo your comments, great route, only thing that let it down for me was that the last two feed stations were pretty unstocked by the time I got there
  • bigpikle
    congrats - must admit I chose a flatter one for my first 100.

We were fairly early at those stops so did OK. Ham roll at the final stop was just the job :D
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    That looks a cracking route - one for the diary next year. Did you stay on the bike up Bushcombe Lane (to top of Cleeve Hill)? :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • well i live in witney so knew 90%of the route but still found it tough ,was a great day though and cleeve hill gets no easier even if ive done it a few times !!
  • bigpikle
    Cleeve Hill beat me sadly- 1st time I've ever been forced off the bike :(

Made only easier by seeing plenty of better riders than me get off and walk!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bigpikle wrote:
    Cleeve Hill beat me sadly- 1st time I've ever been forced off the bike :(

Made only easier by seeing plenty of better riders than me get off and walk!

I'm not surprised. Despite the road sign I reckon the lane is 33% in places! :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I've done this 4 times before and was really glad it came back. The new route worked well particularly the bit back into Witney. The organisation was excellent as usual - thanks to everyone who gave up their time to put this on. Shame the numbers were down on past years but this is perhaps because it clashed with other sportives and/or Blenheim?
    4 of us did the short route - next stop the Maratona!
    David