can i go tubeless?

Dog296
Dog296 Posts: 84
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Hey all.

I have sealant and valves, and some tape, may need to get more.

But ive just bought some folding Panaracer fire xc pro tyres (non-ust) can I go tubeless? Or are the side walls the wrong type?

Thanks.
White Bikes, make the best bikes.

2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes you can and no they're not.
    But why would you?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I've tried Fire XC Pro's tubeless, would not reccommend it. The beads are very slack and mine was forever burping air through the bead when the going got rough. Personally now I stick to Maxxis and Schwalbe tyres and haven't had any issues since.

What rims are you running? you may need a rim strip to convert them to tubeless.
  • Dog296
    Currently running Stans crest rims.

I guess I thought about going tubeless because I have a kit to go tubeless.

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    If you are going to go tubeless, my recommendation would be to make sure you do it properly.

You're ALMOST there, you've got the right rims, tape, valves, sealant. The tyres though I'm not so sure about.

Personally, I'd only ever use proper UST or Tubeless ready tyres. Just heard too many stories from people who have gone off half cocked or tried to ghetto it and it's not worked.
  • Dog296
    Yeh I'm unsure too.

Ah well ill run tubed for now.

• Brad123
    Brad123 Posts: 86
    I went ghetto about 1 years ago cant fault it. Have not had a flat since going ghetto, used to get a puncture every ride. Are using Maxxis that came with the bike. Have a GT Avalanche 3
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3