endomondo question

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I run Endomondo on my smart phone, battery is ok when I go for a normal ride (2 to 3 hours). We are doing the South Downs in a couple of weeks and I would love to record the route. WOuld Endomondo function ok if I stop the Wifi, Enable data in order to save the battery, and leave only the GPS turned on. I could turn the Wifi and Data later in the day to catch up with emails? Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• jeannot18 wrote:
    I run Endomondo on my smart phone, battery is ok when I go for a normal ride (2 to 3 hours). We are doing the South Downs in a couple of weeks and I would love to record the route. WOuld Endomondo function ok if I stop the Wifi, Enable data in order to save the battery, and leave only the GPS turned on. I could turn the Wifi and Data later in the day to catch up with emails? Thanks
    JC

I always run mine on gps only and it works fine.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You can turn off everything apart from GPS. Endomondo doesn't actually need anything else.
    Then, once you're done, or you get home, switch on the wifi/phone again to upload the tracks.

Of course, on some iPhones, "flight mode" is either all or nothing, so you can't leave GPS on and turn the rest off.

I managed to get an enormous capacity battery for my HTC Trophy 7, with a new rear case to fit it. Now I can run GPS all day long wihtout a problem. Check ebay, see if something similar is available for yours.
  • jeannot18
    Thanks guys, I am relieved as my phone battery capacity is pretty crap (Orange Monte Carlo hacked). Hopefully it will last long enough to record the entire day, and then recharge it overnight for the next day.

YeehaaMcgee, what do you mean by a rear case that gives you more battery?

Thanks
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, the battery I bought for my HTC is twice as thick, if not more than the original one, so it came with a redesigned battery compartment cover to accomodate it.
  • jeannot18
    Well, the battery I bought for my HTC is twice as thick, if not more than the original one, so it came with a redesigned battery compartment cover to accomodate it.

Ha ok, never heard of those, will google it to see if one exit, this could be handy for longer ride days, thanks mate

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • spankone
    spankone Posts: 76
    yeh as the others have said you can turn of every thing apart from the gps which tracks your location, so wifi, 3g and data services can be turned off aswell as dimming your screen will help the battery last longer
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    Thought about getting a garmin forerunner?
  • jeannot18
    I have got a 305, but i like endomondo as I share it with others and we do some challenges too (like highest mileage in the month etc.)
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    try map my ride
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • YeehaaMcgee
    jeannot18 wrote:
    I have got a 305, but i like endomondo as I share it with others and we do some challenges too (like highest mileage in the month etc.)
    JC
    Is a 305 a Garmin Forerunner? If so, you can upload from them to Endomondo.
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 wrote:
    JC
    Is a 305 a Garmin Forerunner? If so, you can upload from them to Endomondo.
    Yes it is, sh!t I did not know that! Battery on the 305 is more or less 10rhs. I will Google a how to do it, or maybe you have a link that you know about. Thanks McGee
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't have a Garmin, but on Endomondo's workout page, there's an option for "import workout". Check it out.
  • jeannot18
    I don't have a Garmin, but on Endomondo's workout page, there's an option for "import workout". Check it out.
    Got it, brilliant something sorted! Thanks again
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Been looking at those Forerunner305s on Amazon, and they look quite neat, so thank you for drawing my attention to them :)
  • jeannot18
    Been looking at those Forerunner305s on Amazon, and they look quite neat, so thank you for drawing my attention to them :)
    They are pretty good, bought mine a while back when I was into running and triathlon training and it helped me a lot to reach some goals. I used only once for its GPS capabilities 3 weeks ago for a ride around Lee Valley, if you upload a route on it, all you get is a very thick line that shows you the route and a triangle that points you to the right direction. If you are spot on the track/road the triangle will be right on it (then you know that you are following the route correctly) It is pretty basic but it does help you to stay on track if you go somewhere that you don't know at all. I am sure the higher models are much better for that, but so are the prices... Hope my explanations make sense
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't want to use it for navigation :?
    Just to keep track of running, hiking, boarding biking etc.
    I was never into keeping track, but since the Crudcatcher Endomondo distance challenge thing started, I've been surprised at how much mileage I actually get through. Seems a watch would be more useful for most GPS tracking than a phone.