dakine session or osprey viper 7

cranaz
cranaz Posts: 39
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i'm ater upgrading my camelbak octane as its just a bit small. I have been looking at the dakine session and osprey viper 7. Both about £50 and same size. Has anyone got either and how they find them?
Cheers

Comments

• frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    The viper is 39.99 at leisurelakesbikes ATM. I nearly bought it but went for the viper 10 as I wanted something at touch bigger.
  • cranaz
    Yeah i noticed it earlier, looks like a really good deal. You got yours yet? hows the bladder? good flow?
    Like the look of the sessions storage layout and the bigger version was well rated in MBR. Just havent seen any reviews of that particular model.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the dakine packs are really good, i have 2 a nomad and a apex..
    the bladder is fine i never had any issues with it, it just works.. the storage layout on the dakine is good to especially the tool compartment...
    the pack is comfy to wear to and does not get in the way of your riding even when the going gets steep and gnarly.
  • cranaz
    Cheers mate,
    Was just swaying towards the dakine anyway due to the layout, looks well laid out for a small pack.
    Just had concerns over bladder as i've only had camelbak, but like you say it does the job.
  • delcol
    our kids uses the dakine bladder and my mates holiday company is sponsered by dakine and they run there pack and bladders fine...
    i actually use a camel bak bladder in mine,, it fits and works fine..
  • cranaz
    Think i'll give it a try then, £54 on CRC seems good value. Hadnt even heard of them till last week but looks quality. If for some reason i didnt get on with bladder could always use mine anyway so cant fail. Thanks again for advice mate
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Both packs are good either should be fine.

I went for the Dakine because the storage worked better for me (straps for pads etc). The bladder is made by hydrapack who are a good company with good after sales support and I think offer lifetime warranty on the bladders.

I broke my mouth piece and emailed them to ask about buying a replacement and they just sent one out in the post straight away no questions asked.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    cranaz wrote:
    Hi, i'm ater upgrading my camelbak octane as its just a bit small. I have been looking at the dakine session...
    Session is not that big the footprint is smaller than a sheet of A3 but it's fine for razzing round trail centres and shortish rides. The reservoir is 2 litres but 1.5 is a practical maximum. Holds pump, multitool, tube, phone, keys and a few odds and sods & maybe a compact packable jacket but no more. The straps on the outside are OK for carrying lightweight armour.

The Hydrapack reservoir is nice but somewhat over-engineered imo esp the bite valve & tube. I replaced mine with one of Camelbak's finest it goes straight on if you heat it in warm water.

Have had mine for over three years now the construction is fabulous everything still works like new.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Can you attach a full-face helmet to the Session?

If you can't I'm going to have to get the Camelbak Consigliere...in white & pink :|
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • .blitz
    Can you attach a full-face helmet to the Session?
    Sort of :)

The straps will retain a FF but they don't really stop it rolling around or bouncing up and down you will have to get inventive. I use a motorcycle cargo net with hooks it makes a great netting bag to keep a FF in place.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    hmm, think it's gonna have to be the Consigliere in that case.

Cheers.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    It can hold the helmet like so:
    dakine%20nomad%20feature1.jpg

Not tried it yet though to see how comfortable or stable it is. I have used the pad and amour straps and they did the job fine.
  • cranaz
    .blitz wrote:
    cranaz wrote:
    Hi, i'm ater upgrading my camelbak octane as its just a bit small. I have been looking at the dakine session...
    Session is not that big the footprint is smaller than a sheet of A3 but it's fine for razzing round trail centres and shortish rides. .
    Yeah its not that big but it looks much better than my current octane for storage. struggle to get a tube in my current pack as it has no extra pockets bar the bladder compartment and a couple of small mesh pockets in the hip straps.
    Like you say, its fine for trail centres which is what we usauly ride, 3 hours or so. I think anything bigger would be too much pack.
    Its good to hear positive reviews, gonna order on friday when i get paid, just gotta work out what colour now
  • .blitz
    jairaj wrote:
    It can hold the helmet like so:
    dakine%20nomad%20feature1.jpg

Not tried it yet though to see how comfortable or stable it is. I have used the pad and amour straps and they did the job fine.
    Think that's a Drafter or a Nomad bud. The Session I have has just two horizontal straps
  • delcol
    Think that's a Drafter or a Nomad bud. The Session I have has just two horizontal straps
    yep i'd say it's a nomad as the drafter has no side pockets.
    session
    nomad
    drafter
  • .blitz
    delcol wrote:
    yup thats a session
  • jairaj
    sorry my bad just image searched for "dakine session" and that popped up.