Need some new wheels

biker1984
biker1984 Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys..

In the process of a new build.. I have purchased all new parts except for a wheel set...

I was looking at the Shimano MT15 wheel set.. Can pick them up for around £100 new on ebay.. I have read alright reviews on them, but i have read that they do require regular maintenance on the bearings and hubs because of the way the bearings are housed (or something like that)... This kind of puts me off, i would prefer something that requires a little less maintenance being honest...

Are there any other wheel sets that are recommended within the price range of £100?

Oh and ideally i would like them to be in white to really finish my build of, but its not the end of the world if they are in black...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Cheers

:)

Comments

• I dont know the first thing about them but they may float your boat

viewtopic.php?t=12858949&p=17667207#p17667207
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Shimano still use what's called cup and cone bearings where you have a threaded axle which tightens two parts of the bearing house together. With maintenance, the system can last you a very long time and I think bearings are cheaper to replace than the cartridge bearings of other hubs. The disadvantage is that you can't use any axle standard other than quick release but that won't bother most people. Did you find the BR review of the MT15.
    My only criticism would be weight. For 60 quid more, you can get something a lot lighter: Superlegerra.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I just got a set of black MT15s from CRC for £85 when they had a jubilee offer but they are also on at Merlin for £90 in white. I personally rather get it off a larger chain than off ebay as larger chains usually have better return options.

Can't comment on the maintenance side yet as I've not had the chance to ride them yet but it's probably not that difficult.

I didn't find much more around the £100 price mark when I was looking other than 2nd hand.

Incidently, I take it you know they are centrelock for the rotors so you will need a rotor adapter if you don't have the right rotors. I got adapters from SSC for £15 a pair, I couldn't find it anywhere cheaper for a pair.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bit over your budget but not by much £130
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=536

Got cartridge bearings if thats what you want and not too bad a weight for the price.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with Shimano cup and cone. I have a set of Mountain Exage that are almost 25 years old. Bit of grease once or twice a year, new balls if they need it, takes about 15 minutes, probably less time than replacing a set of cartridges.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    Nothing wrong with Shimano cup and cone. I have a set of Mountain Exage that are almost 25 years old. Bit of grease once or twice a year, new balls if they need it, takes about 15 minutes, probably less time than replacing a set of cartridges.

Totally agree with you I have an XT rear non disc hub from around about 99/00 that still runs like silk. For some reason people think cup and cone is old fashioned but its still a good system as long as its well looked after. Plus one of the roadie mags got a university engineering department to do comparative tests a while back and found that a well set up cup and cone hub still had a lower rolling resistance than the best cartridge hub.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • biker1984
    Thanks for the replies so far guys... Most helpful..

So the MT5's are not the usual 6 bolt rotor connector? How does the centre lock actually attacth to the rotors then? does the adaptor screw in to where the rotor normally would then somehow fix on to the rotor (not sure that makes sense lol)

To be honest i didnt even think about the need for adaptors, so thats another £15 on top of the wheels.. Maybe just go for the rims suggested by stubs, thats assuming they are normal 6 bolt connector for the rotors..
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    They have Centerlock (shimano) interface instead of International Standard (6-bolt). You need Centerlock rotors for them, or centerlock to IS adapter.
    Ps, you can have cheap centerlock shimano rotors from online shops like on-one.co.uk or bike-discount.de
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • biker1984
    386ka wrote:
    They have Centerlock (shimano) interface instead of International Standard (6-bolt). You need Centerlock rotors for them, or centerlock to IS adapter.
    Ps, you can have cheap centerlock shimano rotors from online shops like on-one.co.uk or bike-discount.de

Ah i get ya, cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get a set of these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html

Better wheels than the M15 - simialr hubs, but arehandbuilt with butted spokes, absolute bargain.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    biker1984 wrote:
    So the MT5's are not the usual 6 bolt rotor connector? How does the centre lock actually attacth to the rotors then? does the adaptor screw in to where the rotor normally would then somehow fix on to the rotor (not sure that makes sense lol)

Adapter slides onto spline, slip rotor onto adapter (facing the right way, not like I did :roll: ), washer, centre lock. Tighten with cassette tool. Simples.

I wouldn't have adapters put you off. Or get some centre lock rotors, probably pick up a 180 & 160 for around £20ish.