silly question re changing brake calipers

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Do I need new brake cables? If not how do I get the knobly bit on then end of cable through hole in calliper.....
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    errrr... there isn't a 'knobly' bit on the caliper end, just a clamp bolt.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    that knobbly bit is just as end cap to stop the cable fraying....they pull off with a bit of force and new ones are about 5p from your LBS...just crimp them on the end when your done.
    Worth checking the cables tho...when was it last changed ? if its frayed / worn or just worn in with muck I'd replace it while your doing other bits
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Got it make sense now. Told you it was silly question.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    always best to make sure first before trashing the bike :D
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Silly question. You ALWAYS need new bits :)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Unless you need to go to the LBS, the aglet on the end of the cable can usually be gently removed by squeezing it at 90 degrees to the direction of crimp with a pair of needlenose pliers. It can then be re-used by replacing over the cable end and re-crimping with the pliers. I've never bought an aglet, always re-used them (in fact until reading this thread I didn't even know you could buy them!)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    SimonAH wrote:
    Unless you need to go to the LBS, the aglet on the end of the cable can usually be gently removed by squeezing it at 90 degrees to the direction of crimp with a pair of needlenose pliers. It can then be re-used by replacing over the cable end and re-crimping with the pliers. I've never bought an aglet, always re-used them (in fact until reading this thread I didn't even know you could buy them!)
    Aglet? I thought the correct technical term was "thingy".
    Sketchley, well done for asking. I know some people (customers) that would have drilled the hole in the pinch bolt larger without a thought. Then tried to blame us as the parts supplier.
  • SimonAH
    Weeeeel....I'm guessing it's an aglet....the same thing on the end of a shoelace is called an aglet......

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I always referred to them as ferrules. I think both ferrule and aglet are almost as acceptable as "thingy".
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SimonAH
    Rolf F wrote:
    I always referred to them as ferrules. I think both ferrule and aglet are almost as acceptable as "thingy".

Hmmm, I would have used ferrule for the rubber bit on the end of a walking stick or a band on the end of a swagger stick - to prevent wear rather than fraying?

• rolf_f
    SimonAH wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Hmmm, I would have used ferrule for the rubber bit on the end of a walking stick or a band on the end of a swagger stick - to prevent wear rather than fraying?

According to Wikipedia, an aglet is an example of a ferrule.

Here is one example def - A metal tube crimped over stranded wire to secure it within a screw terminal usually with electrical insulation protecting any exposed portion of the wire not completely inside the screw terminal post.

"Most ferrules consist of a circular clamp used to hold together and attach fibers, wires or posts, generally by crimping, swaging, or otherwise deforming the ferrule to permanently tighten it onto the parts that it holds".

Nothing exactly matching stands out.
  • SimonAH
    I think we need a specific industry term to be coined! I vote for "antifingerstabsabot" :-D

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I would say that the metal bit over the end of the cable outer is a ferrule...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Definitely a ferrule, and you don't buy them you buy a load of other stuff (tubes, tyre, nice top etc) and when you're about to pay whip a used ferrule out of your pocket and say 'oh - a couple of these as well please' to which the correct reply is here yer go as a handful are dropped into your grubby mit free of charge. I had a lifetimes supply once, a bagful of the things.
  • rolf_f
    PBo wrote:

That's like saying if a chocolate gateaux is a cake then a Victoria sponge isn't! They are different but both cakes.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Wire strippers are brilliant for getting these 'thingies' off.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Rolf F wrote:
    PBo wrote:

That's like saying if a chocolate gateaux is a cake then a Victoria sponge isn't! They are different but both cakes.
    Unless it was this type of Pharrell...

220px-N.E.R.D_%40_Pori_Jazz_2010_-_Pharrell_Williams_1.jpg
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Wire strippers are brilliant for getting these 'thingies' off.
    Yes... but its putting them on thats tricksy... just crushing them with pliers doesn't make for permanence. Ideally you need a proper multi-blade crimping tool to get the right degree of deformation without over-crushing... using the cutting edge of a wire cutter generally ends up with several bits of ferrule and some wirestrands as well if you are too enthusiastic.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Most wire strippers have a section for crimping as well, but c'mon, these cost about 10p for a gazillion (ok, each). Or ask nicely at your LBS and they might give you a handful. You can even get funky coloured ones off eBay. Just search for 'cable ends'.