'Astounding Display By Sky'

ocdupalais
ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Just back from watching the Smithfield Nocturne in London.
Ian Stannard monstered it.
Not only did he force a break in the first lap or 2; not only did he stay on the front for the next 10 laps or so... He then (almost) single handedly lapped the field, went straight through the bunch, then attacked again!! Matt Goss and Brett Lancaster were riding - as were Endura Racing and Rapha Condor... No chumps.

I suspect that there are a lot of pro riders who went home tonight, shook the heads, and just thought "Sh!t!!... Man, I mean...SH!T!"

I hope there's a YouTube clip to do it justice.

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    someone was racing out of Cat :D
    guys a world class tank...just keeps going , is he doing any pro tours or maybe Olympics ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    So he repeated what Dowsett did last year then?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    And I'm sure he has the same advantage of the camera bike as Dowsett - the problem with the course is that the camera bike can't get far ahead so there's big draft benefits...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    The camera bike was behind for most of it.

The difference this year to last was that Stannard wasn't soloing like Dowsett, he had Apollonio to help him and House and Gustavsson tagging along for an impressive amount of laps as well. Then when he lapped the field Sutton was on hand to cheekily help him as well.

Still an impressive thing to watch though.
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I hope there's a YouTube clip to do it justice.

Highlights are on ITV4 (I think...) on 16th June
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    aspender wrote:
    The difference this year to last was that Stannard wasn't soloing like Dowsett, he had Apollonio to help him and House and Gustavsson tagging along for an impressive amount of laps as well. Then when he lapped the field Sutton was on hand to cheekily help him as well.

Still an impressive thing to watch though.

I didn't see any of the riders in the break do a single turn until quite a few laps in. Plus, the bunch was never anything other than lined out... I'd be interested to hear how the average speed compared to last year (and the thoughts of some of the riders). There were definitely some guys looking shell-shocked at the finish.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Is this the same "Amazing" stannard along with 3 other sky riders could not catch boonen up the road by a minute in paris-roubaix ???? Astounding display that day eh !
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Quite funny when he came round the last corner on his own, hands in the air. He'd only just bridged to lap the field then dropped them all on the last lap. Complete dominance which of course does speak for the quality of the field too, but impressive to watch.

He also won the elimination race an hour and a half earlier.

Thought it was a really good evening all round - got there for the penny farthing race which was a laugh, and who was the pro that subbed in for someone in the folding bike race? He crushed it. Great atmos and I have to say pro cycling does look even better under lights - greater sense of speed.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    No spoiler in the thread title :(;)
  • Abdoujaparov
    Saw Goss on Twitter saying it was "one of the more painful 50 minutes of my life."
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    On telly on Sunday 17th June, Channel 4 at 07:10 and will also be available on 4OD

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Is this the same "Amazing" stannard along with 3 other sky riders could not catch boonen up the road by a minute in paris-roubaix ???? Astounding display that day eh !

No I wonder if you even read the title? It wasnt about Paris-Roubix it was about the Nocturne in London. the amazing Stannard that lapped the field in this race. That one.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Anyone going to this tomorrow? http://www.londonnocturne.com/index.php Stellar line-up includes Laura Trott, Dani King, Jo Rowsell, Elinor Barker, Alex Dowsett, Beñat Intxausti, Ed Clancy, Kristian House...

Always a great atmosphere for the elite races. This year promises 'entertainment' right from Heat 1 of the folding race :oops:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Macaloon wrote:
    Anyone going to this tomorrow? http://www.londonnocturne.com/index.php Stellar line-up includes Laura Trott, Dani King, Jo Rowsell, Elinor Barker, Alex Dowsett, Beñat Intxausti, Ed Clancy, Kristian House...
    That's a bit of a random name to throw into the mix.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Abdoujaparov
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    That's a bit of a random name to throw into the mix.

Not many people know but Intxausti's dad is actually from Cambridge Heath, East London, and Intxausti lived there for a few years as a kid. In that way it's more his local race than Dowsett's.

...Am I in the right thread?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Sky rider wins race against bunch of people not capable of riding worldtour level shocker.
  • Macaloon
    No Sky big names this year. Maybe a few fanboys&girls. It's safe.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Sky rider wins race against bunch of people not capable of riding worldtour level shocker.
    Got to be IN it to WIN it.
    So are you one of the "not capable" with a mountain on your shoulder.
    The organisers shouldn't accept him if it was going to disrupt the race but no, it's nice to see once in a while the "Standard" the others need to get to in order to call themselves Wacers.

Stanard put on a show didn't he and didn't cruise inside the Bunch till the last lap.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Macaloon
    Sorry folks. Didn't mean to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6U-TGahwvs. Was just wondering if anyone was going tonight, and hoping nobody here is in heat 1 of the folder.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I haven't done the folder for a couple of years - but it is a great laugh. Unfortunately some people take it too seriously now and you get some "proper" racers in there, with borrowed folders rather than people who actually ride folders every now and then! Have a watch out for the road surface - there are some nasty potholes in the road - the large trucks that service the meat markets tend to wreck the tarmac....
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Saw Stannard at last years Vuelta. The riders were signing on at stage start. They all looked like little boys, except Stannard., A big strong bunch engine.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Was there from start top finish and had an excellent day out. Lots of really great racing but sod riding a penny farthing round that crap!

I was going to reference who won but there's no spoiler in the thread just in case. Suffice to say good winners in both elite races. Will be back next year !
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I was there too last night. Great fun. Talking of penny farthings, where the hell do you go and ride one in 'training'? Bizarre.

Anyway this event just gets bigger and bigger every year. Wiggle Honda bringing so many of their team was impressive. Having Trott, King and Rowsell there was a massive crowd pleaser, and the womens race was a fierce one.

Good, fun and well-organised evening. Lots to keep everyone entertained right from the start.

And the finishes of the elite races were nail-biters! Going to look great on the tv highlights prog.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I was there too last night. Great fun. Talking of penny farthings, where the hell do you go and ride one in 'training'? Bizarre.

Anyway this event just gets bigger and bigger every year. Wiggle Honda bringing so many of their team was impressive. Having Trott, King and Rowsell there was a massive crowd pleaser, and the womens race was a fierce one.

Good, fun and well-organised evening. Lots to keep everyone entertained right from the start.

And the finishes of the elite races were nail-biters! Going to look great on the tv highlights prog.

Glad you had fun.

Do you know when and where we might get highlights?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Glad you had fun.

Do you know when and where we might get highlights?

Yeah, highlights Channel 4, Sun 16th, 0800
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Ta.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    deejay wrote:
    Got to be IN it to WIN it.
    So are you one of the "not capable" with a mountain on your shoulder.
    The organisers shouldn't accept him if it was going to disrupt the race but no, it's nice to see once in a while the "Standard" the others need to get to in order to call themselves Wacers.

Stanard put on a show didn't he and didn't cruise inside the Bunch till the last lap.
    Deleted.