Is this normal?!

JonnyJH
JonnyJH Posts: 47
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
So I very recently bought my first road bike and took up cycling. In the 5 days I have been riding I have clocked up 30miles on the road and two one hour sessions on a turbo.
I am very skinny and by no terms fit, it’s a push to keep my average in the double figures!
My question is, I bought some cheep padded shorts to start out with that were a good fit. But after 5 days they have become tight on my legs, so tight in fact it’s almost uncomfortable. I know the shorts haven’t shrunk in the wash etc as I have 2 pairs one is unwashed and both the same.
So the only possible conclusion is my legs have suddenly grown! They don’t feel or look swollen in any way and there is no pain other than what you would expect from peddling hard.
So is the normal? Has anyone had this before when just starting out?

Cheers
Jon

Comments

• You didn't dry them in a dryer did you???
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    No offence - but I really don't think your legs have suddenly grown after 30 miles!!! Your shorts must have shrunk somehow.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    It could be your ar$e has got fatter so there is less material to stretch to your legs :?:
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    If your leg muscles had been relatively "unused" until now then they could be slightly pumped by the extra exertion of cycling. This happens with most muscles when they are exposed to new activities, should go back to normal after a bit of rest I imagine.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    Like I said, 2 pairs of shorts and one is new and unwashed etc and both are the same.
    30 miles might be nothing to many of you guys, but that is more exercise than I have done in over 10 years!
    Just seemed weird to me is all... lol
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    as above, probably a bit pumped from the exercise then
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny