Italian alps - good 'base' for cyclng help!

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi

I'm off to the italian alps this summer wth wife and kids(age 5 & 7). I'm looking for a pretty base in the Italian alps that allows me to get in some quality climbs and is alos nice for the family to twiddle their thumbs in and do whatever they do when I'm cyclng. Eqivalents in the French alps that they/me loved were Bourges D'oissan, and pyrennes was Bagneres du Luchon. Any good places near Passos Stelvio / Motorilo? Any helpful advice greatly appreciated.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I had a similar question and came up with Bormio.
  • andrewleck
    andrewleck Posts: 45
    If you are set on Italy I personally would aim for cycling in the Dolomites and stay somwhere like Cortina d'Ampezzo or Covara in Badia. (more options for cycling at close range)

If you are set on Italy and the Alps and especially if you don't mind transporting the bike to the starting point of a ride, I would be looking at staying the top end of Lake Como. Easy access into Switzerland and you would have the Albula, Julier, Splugen, San Bernardino 8) on your doorstep, 30 ish miles in the car would get you to the Mortirolo :evil: , 60 ish miles the Stelvio, Umbrial, or La Tremola, Nufenen, Furka loop.

Have a great holiday, doubt the family will see much of you :twisted:
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks... time to start poring over the maps.

@ratsbey
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Can you narrow it down a bit? The 'Italian Alps' covers a great arc from Piedmont to Trieste. Italy has a huge slice of the Alps.

Are you flying? If so are there particular airports served by airlines from your local airport?
  • ratsbeyfus
    I'm driving (don't mind which way I go - via Germany/Switzerland or France), and happy to explore anywhere in the Italian Alps/Dolomites that has good access for Giro climbs. All suggestions appreciated.

@ratsbey
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 241
    Bormio is the place if you want to ride Stelvio/Mortirolo etc and is a lovely little town in itself.

The Dolomites however are in a different league and one of the most beautiful areas I have travelled to. Little wonder they are a world heritage site. Stay in Corvara or Arabba and ride the Sella Ronda. If you fancy something tougher, you have he Giau and Marmolada all accessible from there and the scenery is amazing.

Both will take about the same time to reach driving through Germany and Austria. I'm by the Timmelsjoch right now heading over to Italy. The only downer on any of these routes is the number of German motorcycle tourists. If they worry you, then the variety of the Dolomites would be the better bet. Oh and bring your climbing legs - Italian climbs enjoy somewhat more challenging gradients than their French counterparts :)
  • ratsbeyfus
    Thanks airwise - very useful... I'm getting excited now! My climbing legs are hidden under a thick layer of fat, so I'll be using the granny ring for sure. Thanks again.

@ratsbey
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    This coming weekend I’m off to Lana, which is just outside Merano, and we will be riding some passes directly from there (Stelvio, Palade, Monte Giovo, Lavazze, Costalunga, etc) and other days we’ll drive about 50 km to the east of Bolzano to ride the likes of the Sella Ronda, San Pellegrino, Fedaia, Valles, etc).

We won’t have children with us, and as I’ve not been to Lana before I can’t for sure recommend it, but on the Lana website I noticed that the town organises a summer activity programme for kids, some of which are kid-adult activities, others just for kids (you drop them off and then clear off). Not free, of course!
    In the German version of the website, the daily activities for July are listed (e.g. making candles and key-rings, pizza-making, minigolf tournament, visit to a fish farm, cowboy-and-indian games, pony-riding, rock-climbing and lama-trekking).

I’m sure Lana is not alone in catering like this for kids, so when you’ve narrowed it down to a few locations, you could then try and find out if the short-listed offer something along the same lines. I know Olang, east of Bruneck, has a similar kids' activity programme.
    My own experience of holidaying with family and my bike in the Italin Alps was Falcade, south of Marmolada, however despite its nice setting and ideal location for cycling, it unfortunately doesn’t have much for kids, only a playground and a few walks.
    My feeling is that you are more likely to find such programmes in areas where German is more spoken than Italian, or at least as equally.

The Lana website also mentions Lana’s playgrounds (one being 5,000 sq. m. large) and has recommended walks for families with children, while as a diversion for everyone, I can recommend Merano.