First ride, lots of questions

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
So....... 26miles in an 1hr40 not going to win any medals but not bad for a first run , few questions though...
1. Should I be changing gears all the time, I seems to be constantly changing gear.
2' should my padded Lycra shorts cover my ass or cock because I seemed to have little ass support
3. How long should I leave it before next ride

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    change gear as many times as you like - ride what feels comfortable - you're only just starting after all.

The pads should at least cover ya sit bones.

ride out as often as you feel or unill you feel your body saying 'hold on how about a rest'
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    1 - gears are there to help you keep a good cadence, as gradient/wind vary you change gear
    2 - pad is there to be between you and the saddle
    3 - whenever you like, if you find yourself getting sore/tired, rest - btw if you get and knee/leg pains, it might mean you need to adjust bike setup
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • boogi11
    I don't understand why my padded shorts don't cover my ass bone, I presume the label goes to the back?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    boogi11 wrote:
    I don't understand why my padded shorts don't cover my ass bone, I presume the label goes to the back?

You get what you pay for with shorts/bibshorts.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    boogi11 wrote:

p235_T_FIUnoLogo_2_4.jpg

the pad doesn't need to come up over your whole bum... just needs to sit between you and the saddle -> as above.
  • notlongnow
    notlongnow Posts: 176
    boogi11 wrote:
    So....... 26miles in an 1hr40 not going to win any medals but not bad for a first run
    Not bad thats a very good time for a first run what was your average I assume you live in a a flat area :roll:
  • boogi11
    Hi, yes it was flat but also very windy 15-20mph gusts, the shirts seem ok, they just don't seem to cover the bone in my ass cheeks
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    youll be a lot faster if you leave your donkey at home.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    change gear as many times as you like - ride what feels comfortable - you're only just starting after all.

The pads should at least cover ya sit bones.

ride out as often as you feel or unill you feel your body saying 'hold on how about a rest'
    Good advice!